Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I put on my big girl boots today...

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I looove Vegas. It's dirty and loud and bright and weird and filthy but amazing.
    I may just be bitter because I got ripped off $20 by guys handing me rap CDs because they complimented me on my Gorillaz t-shirt.

(but actually I hated the place before this happened; walking around Caesar's made me weep for modern society.)

(I am not very fun at parties.)

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aww, I love Caesar's Palace. I don't know. I look around at the place for itself and ignore the tourists when I'm there. There's just something special about the place itself for me. If you block everyone out, it's nice.

Been to most of Canada. Not interested in REALLY flying anywhere but did want to go to England and Scotland and Aussieland at one point.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I take issue with how nice it is - everything perfectly preened, perfectly sculpted. Large marble statues adorning every hallway, giant saltwater fish tanks filled with exotic creatures. Hall after hall perfectly environmentally controlled to maximize your shopping experience in way-too-expensive stores (but hey it's Vegas so live a little) or at craps tables where the odds are stacked against you but the waitress keeps bringing free drinks (live a little) or in restaurants where mediocre food is served at ridiculous prices (again, live a little). All in the middle of a desert because it was the only refuge for east coast criminal cartels to set up new shops back in the '60s, legitimatized by years of positive marketing and faux nostalgia and Elvis and Sinatra.

I didn't really care about the tourists other than feeling sad that a lot of them were probably being duped like that. I'm sure if I didn't think so much about it I would've been wowed by the whole ordeal (and to be fair, I did take a number of pictures of some of the more impressive statues). It just all seemed exemplary of American excess and was too much for me after a few hours of walking around.

Anyways, I'll stop being Buzz Killington now; there's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone else liking Vegas, and I'm sure there's plenty of valid reasons that's so beloved, but it's definitely not for me.

lol

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    I take issue with how nice it is - All in the middle of a desert because it was the only refuge for east coast criminal cartels to set up new shops back in the '60s, legitimatized by years of positive marketing and faux nostalgia and Elvis and Sinatra.

I didn't really care about the tourists other than feeling sad that a lot of them were probably being duped like that. I'm sure if I didn't think so much about it I would've been wowed by the whole ordeal (and to be fair, I did take a number of pictures of some of the more impressive statues). It just all seemed exemplary of American excess and was too much for me after a few hours of walking around.
    I understand what you're saying and can even sympathize, or at least empathize with you on some of it. What I'm tired of is excess always being equated with Americans or our culture. Yes, there is a large division of wealth, and yes places with a large amount wealth often trace their roots to seedy criminal activities or some militaristic, wealth hording empire. My point is you can find that anywhere. We're no less guilty of it than any other country, but we're also no more guilty.

If someone doesn't think it exists out side of the States, go to Hong Kong, Dubai, Kual Lumpur, some destinations along the Mediterranean, etc. There's plenty of examples of excess and flagrant spending all over the world.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Completely free?! I paid EIGHT BUCKS for that little bottle of Jack Daniels.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    I take issue with how nice it is - All in the middle of a desert because it was the only refuge for east coast criminal cartels to set up new shops back in the '60s, legitimatized by years of positive marketing and faux nostalgia and Elvis and Sinatra.

I understand what you're saying and can even sympathize, or at least empathize with you on some of it. What I'm tired of is excess always being equated with Americans or our culture. Yes, there is a large division of wealth, and yes places with a large amount wealth often trace their roots to seedy criminal activities or some militaristic, wealth hording empire. My point is you can find that anywhere. We're no less guilty of it than any other country, but we're also no more guilty.

If someone doesn't think it exists out side of the States, go to Hong Kong, Dubai, Kual Lumpur, some destinations along the Mediterranean, etc. There's plenty of examples of excess and flagrant spending all over the world.
    That's fair. To be honest I've never traveled out of the US so my immediate association is with our internal problems, but it's true that greed and excess are universal. I'm not sure I'd like any city, at home or abroad, with problems like I saw in Vegas.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Going anywhere outside of this country would be nice. I just want to visit some place entirely foreign and new to me. I would love to go to Italy, Spain, or Greece. Would also be cool to go to Japan and live out a weebo's dream, but the primary reason I would like to go there is because I'd finally be average height.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't been many places. I've been to Niagara Falls and Boston mostly. Plus where I currently live and have lived before.

I have always wanted to visit Europe, mostly Italy and France.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Apparently I'm going on vacation with my gal pal in Feb and I have savings set aside for another big trip.

Congrats Locky

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

I'm currently doing what I guess you could call a "gap year" in China. And after today, I have a paid vacation until February 20th for the Sping Festival I'll be travelling to Vietnam and the Phillipines in January, possibly Laos if it's feasible. If any of yall find yourselves in Guangdong drop me a line.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't go anywhere or do anything because I'm a broke bitch.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

I might chance it next year and go to New York for the new year... its always been a dream of mine to see the ball drop in person.. as silly as it sounds. I also plan on visiting my Step Brother in Boston sometime soon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm still on my gap "year"...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!