Thread: Tina or Terra?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    What about Locke and Lock ? And Sabin and Mash ? And Cain and Kain ?

An added "e' doesn't matter,and looks more like a name ...someone must've named him after eating mashed potatoes...odd..... and should have been Cane (kain was probably changed due to biblical reference or something like that).
    Sabin's Japanese name is a bit odd, but from what I've read, it's kind of a poor translation of the Katakana which was poorly utilized on the Japanese part. I've read his name is suppose to be Matthew and "Mash" is suppose to be the shorten "Matt" but it's really hard to say Matthew in Japanese without changing some words around and when it was translated it comes up as Mash. My question is where does Sabin come from? I mean Locke and Kefka's names were slightly altered, Terra's was changed to fit the intention, and Cyan's name was changed to fit the limited character restrictions, but where do we go from Mash to Sabin? I mean at least Terra and Tina are not a huge leap from each other compared to Mash and Sabin.

For the subject at hand, Terra is her official name in English, Tina in Japanese, unlike say the Aeris/Aerith debate, Terra's name has been consistent with new media whereas Aeris only appears in the blind idiot translation that is the original FFVII, so Terra is official outside of Japan.

Bartz is official for FFV, even the translation of "Butz" was debatable from the beginning in the fan-translation community.

I just think that if the original author's vision name for the character is Tina, then that is her real name. Terra seems to be used because of marketing reasons.
    Last edited by J.D; 12-29-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Well luckily you can input your own =choices for names for each of the characters, so there shouldn't be a problem.

:monster:

I'm sure it wasn't because of marketing reasons. I already explained why the name was changed - the creators wanted an exotic-sounding name for the character, and Tina is not an exotic-sounding name in the West.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by J.D View Post
    I just think that if the original author's vision name for the character is Tina, then that is her real name. Terra seems to be used because of marketing reasons.
    It's not a matter of them saying "I want her to be named x" it's a matter of them saying "I want her name to invoke x references and feelings." Her name is whatever it needs to be in order to achieve that.

Final Fantasy Historian Zen Beoulve's Avatar

Moomba

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    It's not a matter of them saying "I want her to be named x" it's a matter of them saying "I want her name to invoke x references and feelings." Her name is whatever it needs to be in order to achieve that.

I Remember a Pach Attack episode when he says: every corporate or marketing related move in the game industry is made possible because is actually profitable for them, everything is profit oriented. So I don't think they were thinking on children like you and me at that time and thought: "The Tina name doesn't seem to be evoking the message we need to express" like if they actually care about a perfect translation or our way of understanding things.

I really wonder what real message they tried to express by putting her the name of Terra in NA, because if you ask me, the first thing that comes in mind is the earth, and I think Terra was a pretty cold hearted General and that name does not give me the shivers. Now if they wanted to keep her pure and virgin, why not changin her god dam clothes?

Also I think Tina is an African-American oriented name, and I bet regardless of what they said was true or not, some racist discussion was involved too, from what I know companies don't change in-game content unless they really need to do it.
    Last edited by Zen Beoulve; 12-29-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: grammar

:monster:

Woolsey must have been thinking in terms of how much it would add to sales every time he localised a name rather than whether doing so would hew closer to the game designers' intent than a straight romanisation. Because people buy so many more games when characters have weird names, don'tcha know.

Wait, there isn't even the slightest bit of evidence for that hypothesis.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I hate conversations like these for the most part. If my ideas had to be perfect each time I'd never show anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Also, just like to point out, Tina was likely picked in Japan for her name in part because exotic names draw more attention. So Tina may well have been a marketing ploy to begin with.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I like Tina better.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

We humans are possibly with some AI's are not objective. Are exotic means feels like esoteric means. Extra things to smurf about. Everyone knows that right?

Brought to you by the letter EEEE...
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Quote Originally Posted by Greatermaximus View Post
    We humans are possibly with some AI's are not objective. Are exotic means feels like esoteric means. Extra things to smurf about. Everyone knows that right?

Brought to you by the letter EEEE...
    My lack of knowing what the smurf you are talking about leads me to think we should just subscribe to this philosophy.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Got love "marketing reasons", I guess blonde is more marketable than green hair.

Blog Entries

Terra is better. SHE'S A SUMMON. I can't imagine a summon named "Tina."

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well DUH

Terra is Tina
    Celes is Cindy
    Locke is Luke
    Edgar is Edward or "Eddie"
    Sabin is Steve