Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891323 ... LastLast

Thread: The greatest games - A Personal list of Neocracker~

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    A sidescroller in which you played as the red dot from 7-Up. Odd how most movie/tv show based games turn out crap, we got a fairly well done game that was a 7-Up advert.
    Thinking back now, I do seem to remember the game had a hint of product placement about it. In fact, it seems that just about every level had a bottle of 7-Up as a platform/propulsion device.

I know it isn't on your list Neocracker, but I have to mention Turok again. I had a look at some of the gameplay on YouTube and it looks better than I remember. The back ground was made purposely foggy (due to the N64 not having the power to cope) which did kind of add a little tension with those damn raptors creeping up on you. Also, I thought it was pretty cool that if you shot a guy in the neck he grabs at it while blood spurts between his fingers. It was a pretty cool effect if a little sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Futan View Post
    Finally one I played with Skyrim. XD

Is this list already written down somewhere or are you coming up w/ it as you go?
    List is already finished, and ordered from least favorite game (least favorite I enjoy, that is) to my favorite games.

Though after Bubba bringing up Turok again, I think soon I might inject a brief 'Games that would have been on the list, had I thought to put them in" segment.

Edit: And since you played it, feel free to comment on Skyrim Futan, part of this thread is just discussing the games for the sake of discussing them, not just their placement on my list.

I actually agree with most of what you said. :x I should say that haven't beaten Skyrim yet. I agree with your comments about sidequests being lacking but at the same time I found them addicting. To the point of getting burnt out on them. lol.

I wholeheartedly agree about the momentum drop-off though. You go from 'HOLY trout! DRAGON ATTACK!' to 'Let's walk calmly to the nearest village' within minutes. I suppose it's more realistic but at the same time it's boring.

It's also possible you have more time to play any number of games.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Blog Entries

"I can't believe Skyrim was placed this low on the list!
    I mean... storyline aside, it's fun enough to just wack
    things with a beefy sword for the game to earn a
    better placement! Don't you agree, Rydia?"

"Well, I have to admit I kinda like blasting
    things with spells. And exploring the world
    of Skyrim was lots of fun. And I think the
    dragons in Skyrim are kinda cute too. <3"

"Hmph, I personally approve of Skyrim's placement.
    Wait, no... I actually don't. It's too high. It should
    have been on the 'worst games' list instead."

"Oh? How come? And I hope you have
    a better reason than 'I hate everything
    that others love', or something like that."

"It's because... you can't kill the children. And it
    annoys me to no end. Yes. That single fact ruins
    absolutely everything. I really, really, really, really
    want to kill those damn kids... by beheading them
    with a sharp, pointy weapon. And then incinerate
    their corpses with... well, 'Incinerate'. Or something."

"...'hating everything that others love' might
    actually have been a less disturbing reason."

Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 01-05-2013 at 01:19 AM.

I love you Shads.

And now for a series of games people actually know.
    138. Metroid Prime 3 (Wii)
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'll make this clear at the start. I never could get into the Metroid series. I can see why they are good games, and they won't be appearing on the worst of list, but until Prime 3 I was never able to enjoy them.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Mechanically, I think it was a good route for this game to go with a partial Auto-Aim, if only because I am not very accurate using the Wii mote, as I tend to get really emotive when playing, and don't realize I'm slighty moving the pointer.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The game itself looked great and ran smooth. Not a really big opionion on this one past that, just an overall enjoyable experience, without any real issues holding it back. Though again, this is coming from someone who was never a big fan of the older games.

137. Mad World (Wii)
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'l get straight to the point of why I don't put this game higher on my list, and easily the games biggest downfall. As a full priced game at launch, Mad World only takes 2-4 hours to complete, and it's got, at best, lackluster Multi-player to keep it going. Really, this isn't normally excusable, but I still have a fun little spot in my heart for this game.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;There is no use denying it either, but the main appeal of this game is an absurd amount of ridiculous violence. Smashing people up against spike walls, shoving sing posts through peoples throats, grinding peoples faces against a moving train. The kills are so varied and wonderful, it's great at fillout out my violence quota.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And the game looks beautiful. The screenshots seem incomprehensible, but in motion everything looks clear. I hear people suggest that the reason it's Black and white is the Wii's graphic limits, but even so, I think it helps to excentuate the games over the top violence, giving it a wonderful style and flair to it.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And while the Humour is not witty, I love it. As long as you go in expecting Low Brow and over the top humour, you'll get a kick out of this game. The announcers are so damned funny, one of whom has a story about how ever boss in this game has done something terrible to his nuts.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And, this is the fan boy in me speaking, but Spike from Bebop voices Jack. And anything with Stephen Blum in it is going to make it at least a little more enjoyable.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And this last point is a bit odd, as I didn't excpect it at all. But the story and characters are actually really well done. For being such a short game, they do a great job at getting you on Agent 13‘s side at the end, and understanding why this tournament exists for more then just a players amusement. Hell, it even has you wanting to see the villain die at the end.

136. Gears of War (360)
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If ever there was a reason to own a 360, its Gears of War. Were I a bigger shooter fan, this game would be higher on my list. It really only suffers from having a short campaign, which is pretty much the detriment of most FPS games out there.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The world looks wonderful, and has the an appropriately bleak enviroment to it, and it's a great game to run through if you have a second person. More FPS's need Co-Op like this, as I've always enjoyed Co-Op more then Competative play.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I was sad I never got to play the others, as I no longer had my 360 at the time, so saddly I cannot say whether they would end up on my lists or not.

135. Pokemon (Any of them) (Nintendo Handhelds)
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This game really serves as nothing more then a mindless time sink for me. Gather pokemon, grind pokemon, kick Gym Leaders ass, repeat. This is pretty much the entirety of the Pokemon experience for me.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And surprisingly, I’m fine with that. I like gathering a variety of combatants, and throwing in against my foes. Like other games, I don’t really enjoy the competative aspect of it though. So the enjoyment of Pokemon is a bit lower end for me. But still, from time to time, I’ll grind out about 1/4th of one of the games before dropping it, and Its time well spent for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Agree that while pokemon really hasn't done all that much with its various iterations, that's somehow good enough for me. I was only disappointed by how Black & White were worse looking than games 3-4 years older on the DS. There's an expectation for flagship franchises to be the cutting edge at the same time.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually Yasumi Matsuno wrote Mad World, so I'm not surprised you like the characters and story. Mad World really is a better game than you would expect it to be but I feel the assessment and low rank is pretty accurate, the game is pretty much for low brow gore violence like what you would get from the good Mortal Kombat games.

I also agree with Pokemon, though you'll get a lot of hate for ranking it so low but since every game is essentially the same with just a few new mechanics added in, I'm not exactly feeling left out for not really pursuing the series like other people have. Its a good series but I feel it really depends if you can get behind what it offers, much like the Mega Man games which I do like despite being essentially the same game with each installment.

Oh wow, I had no Idea he was behind Mad World. It's a game I never really bothered to look much into when I got it, I was just excited that there was a good game coming to the Wii, they were always few and far between.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I wonder how small the development team is for Pokémon that they do so little to freshen up the games or make them interesting. I still to this day also wonder whty the hell they haven't made an MMO, which the setup is almts perfect for. Let alone why the Digimon alternative hasn't created one, or some MMO hasn't popped up based almost entirely on the Pokémon gameplay.

Haven't played the others that I can recall, so yeah. Heard a lot about them, obviously, just not hugely interested in them.

If they actually create a masterpiece based on Pokémon the sales would be almost guaranteed to be through the roof.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Huh, I completely forgot Turok even existed.
    So do most people who played the game...
    The original Turok was amazing you fool! Go start it up and shoot an enemy in the neck and tell me that their death animation isn't the definition of cool. Hell, it had a T-Rex with a flamethrower and, unless my memory betrays me, a laser on it's head. How is that not awesome?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    The original Turok was amazing you fool! Go start it up and shoot an enemy in the neck and tell me that their death animation isn't the definition of cool. Hell, it had a T-Rex with a flamethrower and, unless my memory betrays me, a laser on it's head. How is that not awesome?
    You might want to read my most recent post, my friend. I said I watched some footage on YouTube and it was much better than I remembered. I even mentioned shooting an enemy in the neck! You are forgiven though because you like baseball

Anyway, just here to give my opinion on Metroid Prime 3... It was the first Metroid game I'd played since Super Metroid on the SNES. I hope I haven't got my retro, rose-tinted glasses on but I was a little disappointed. I've been told this isn't technically an FPS but... it sure felt like one. The only FPS I have ever actually enjoyed was Goldeneye on the N64. I just don't feel immersion that most players seem to experience in these type of games.

Back to the game though, it does have some lovely aspects. The Wii remote and nunchuk controls were actually excellent. I also thought the music was particularly good in creating an atmosphere. I was just a little bored by the world presented to me when I began to play through it. After dabbling in FPS games on the PS3 and Xbox, I couldn't help but notice the difference in graphical quality of the Wii. It was kind of like a poorer version of Halo and didn't grip me at all.

I never actually completed the game and I heard things did improve the further you got but... I couldn't stick with it. I'll just return to my SNES any time I want my Metroid fix.
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Let alone why the Digimon alternative hasn't created one,
    ...Yeah, I'll be getting to that relatively soon.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I also agree with Pokemon, though you'll get a lot of hate for ranking it so low but since every game is essentially the same with just a few new mechanics added in, I'm not exactly feeling left out for not really pursuing the series like other people have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I wonder how small the development team is for Pokémon that they do so little to freshen up the games or make them interesting.
    Agreed. Pokemon is the RPG equivalent of FIFA or any other yearly updated sports game. It is in essence the same game every time with a glossier finish and a few additional features or tweaks.

That being said, I did enjoy Red/Blue/Yellow immensely. It was my first experience with the game and I was hooked like pretty much everyone else. I did play Gold/Silver but I didn't manage to finish it. I think I'd tired of the format by then.

I would never deny that Pokemon is a fantastic idea and usually very well executed... but anyone who has played every single incarnation is either an idiot... or a time lord.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I loved the old Pokemon Red, but I also agree with its low placement. I'm surprised you weren't immediately set upon by all of its raving fans, though.