Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131727 ... LastLast

Thread: The greatest games - A Personal list of Neocracker~

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Lagoon may have passed me by and I never played many PC games.

Mario Kart 64 though was fantastic. I don't think there is any Mario Kart released since then that matches it. Hours of fun with mates (although you needed a pretty big TV to make four-player enjoyable) and one of my favourite N64 games. It still doesn't quite surpass the original Super Mario Kart for me (though many will disagree) as the course diversity and level of control in the original was perfect.

Never played Mario Kart 64 but my friends and I wasted days and days on the SNES version. One of the few racing games I loved.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Futan View Post
    Never played Mario Kart 64 but my friends and I wasted days and days on the SNES version. One of the few racing games I loved.
    Super Mario Kart is still today my favourite driving game of all time. The fact that Mario Kart 64 wasn't far off matching it (in my opinion) proves that both games are absolute classics.

Blog Entries

I have a funny story about MK64. When I first got my own N64 (one with an atomic purple controller), I asked for Banjo-Kazooie. My parents went out and bought MK64 instead. I was a little mad, but ended up playing the game anyway, as it was the only one I had. A couple weeks later, I finally got B-K and played through part of it, and really hated it. I traded it in for Paper Mario later.

Meanwhile I'd put Mario Kart 64 in for the next year or so and play for hours. I'd say during the first few years after I got it, it was one of the games I'd played the most. Weird how that turned out. It was also the N64 game I'd owned for the longest (about 15 years before I finally said "screw it" and traded it in, since it was on the Wii's VC by that point).

I always picked Toad or Yoshi. Stuck with those two throughout all the other MK games. To this day it's still my favorite MK game.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Lagoon was an overly simplistic generic rpg. I still have my original snes copy of it though, and I almost think I enjoyed it way back. Regardless, I don't think it would make a list of my 150 favorite snes rpgs, let alone top 150 games of all time, but whatyagonnado. This is your list, you get to make the terrible decisions. =P

Your life was a terrible decision.

But yeah, I know it wasn't that good of a game, but it was functional and fun.

Anyway, to the next set!

Shall someone trout on these picks too.

126. Brain Lord
          I always had a soft spot for games that mix in puzzle areas to progress through the dungeon. While this one was never the most complex in that regard, it had a lot of fun puzzles none the less. Even with a bit of a cheesy story without much to it, it has some fun gameplay and characters to keep the game rolling.

Another Zelda-esque game, it did have an interesting twist to combat. The ability to summon out two farie allies. There were a fair number of them, and any two could be out at once. Some offered buffs by being out, some attacked enemies, one acted as additional lives for you. You can level them up by getting certain orbs dropped by enemies.

Theres a bit of variety in your weapons as well. So while a bit simplistic and generic, the faries and different weapons keep the game feeling a bit unique, and a few challanging puzzles and a couple clever tricks here and there make for a good time to have.

125. Sly Cooper 1+2 (PS2)
          Oh Sly cooper. These games don't even try to take themselves that seriously. And you know what? They were better off for it. Since it's kind of a silly premise, an animal world with a Raccoon thief, aided by a pink hippo and a techie turtle.

This game is Mario 64 meats stealth. You go through the different levels finding collectables and completing the area objectives. A very simple set up, and handled very well. The controls are smooth, and there's a lot to do in each area.

The visuals are a fun and cartoon-y look, which keeps with the games theme of not taking itself seriously. The areas are vibrant and fun, and come complete with a variety of enemies with different ways of handling them all. Throw in some fun boss fights, you get a good time.

124. Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
          This is going to be the only game from the Virtual Boy on this list. Once you get over the head ache caused by the system in question, this was a gem on an otherwise stupid system. And, for that matter, were it on a more functional console, such as the SNES, this may well have ended up higher.

It pretty much had all the good qualities of the older Mario Games. The sound was probably the best on the Virtual Boy, which isn't saying much, but it was still pleasant enough at the time. It also came with controls that ran smooth. Not much else to say about this game actually. A great game held back by being on a troutty console, a console whose entire purpose seemed to make gaming inconvenient and uncomfortable.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Sly Cooper is a highly undervalued series.

Any Virtual Boy game being in this completely invalidates this entire list.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm saddened that Sly is so low but whatever, not my list. I'm also surprised by Mario Kart 64 being so low but then again that was kind of one of those games where my friends would literally drag me over to their house to do battle mode. In fact, I don't think I ever played any of the actual races.

Firstly, Futan, clearly you never played Wario World. That game was great.

And in response to Sly, it was a game I was really late to the show on. I hadn't played them until the PS3 collectoin, and considering I played straight through 1 on then 2, I burned myself out on Sly Cooper really fast.

Mario Kart ended up Low, because I could never get that much joy out of it unless it was me and a few friends I had playing. It had pretty much no single player value to me.

As a side note, I'm somewhat wondering what I was thinking putting FF VII behind Lagoon. That should probably be knocked up a couple spots past Civilization and Lagoon. Hey, this was a lot of games to organize, list isn't going to be perfect.

Regardless....

There a Blizzard coming in...

123. Warcraft 2 (PC)
          Ah Warcraft 2. There was a time I felt you were the pinancle of Real time Strategy. The two sides had a lot more variety then they held in the games predecesor, so it made playing each side an entirely different experience. Even today I think it’s gameplay holds up.

Even the narrative itself was pretty solid. The villains may have been blatently evil, but regardless the story they told was well executed, and you get a bit invested in the games events. Not being big into RTS’s is pretty much the main reason this game was not ranked higher on this list.

122. Starcraft (PC)
          Take everything I said about Warcraft 2, and make it better. Story was better, gameplay was better, three sides instead of too, and an improvement on the enviroments, both graphically and artistically.

Compared to Warcraft 2 the characters are a lot better developed, and you care a lot more about the outcomes of the campaigns as a direct result of this. Mind you, Starcraft 2 won't appear on this list, as I've never played it.

121. Diablo 2 (PC)
          The game that popularized the loot n’ wank Genre. The story? Not bad. Nothing special, but servicable. Graphics? Same boat really. They accomplish their intended purpose. But again, nothing to write home about. The drive for this game is simple. Get better trout. The purpose of getting this better trout? So that you will be able get even BETTER trout. And this is Diablo 2.

I honestly don’t know why this is appealing to me. This isn’t something that normally works to sustain a game, just see all the failed diablo clones for this. Something about Diablo 2 just does this better then most others. It’s like of other aspects, however, still keeps it pretty low on my list.

Your description of Diablo 2 also describes every MMO in existance. XD

Articles
    Blog Entries

As magical as WC2 and 3 were for me, I've never gotten into Starcraft. I played Warcraft for what it was, Age of Empires was another fun MP game for some of the cliques I was in, but Command & Conquer's always been my main squeeze.

Did you intend to have three blizzard games in a row for this post?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Futan View Post
    Your description of Diablo 2 also describes every MMO in existance. XD
    I think MMO's have a lot more going for them in various areas. Particularly the social side.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    As magical as WC2 and 3 were for me, I've never gotten into Starcraft. I played Warcraft for what it was, Age of Empires was another fun MP game for some of the cliques I was in, but Command & Conquer's always been my main squeeze.

Did you intend to have three blizzard games in a row for this post?
    It was purely coincidence they all ended up here. it did, however, allow me to make a bad pun.