Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101424 ... LastLast

Thread: The greatest games - A Personal list of Neocracker~

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I loved the old Pokemon Red, but I also agree with its low placement. I'm surprised you weren't immediately set upon by all of its raving fans, though.
    I like to imagine that when they were about to defend it, they realized how little they actually had, then bowed their head and walked away in shame.

Then again I think awefully high of myself, since the reality is that they probably have long since realized that while they may like Pokemon, there really isn't much to the games.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Arc the Lad and Arc the Lad II are heavily linked. In fact, the original intention of the developers was to have one game. They share a lot of the same mechanics and feature all of the same characters with the second game taking place only a short time after the first game. I recommend going back and playing both of them if you want to revisit them and give them a chance.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I do plan on it, it's just one of those games I bought on PSN and has been sitting on my HD. Hell, Xenogears was on there for close to a year before I got around to it.

I played a little bit of 1 and enjoyed it, but got distracted and never got back to it. Perhaps after I'm done with Anarchy Reins I'll finally get to running through them. For now though, back to the list!

A little bit of Old School love

134. Legend of Zelda (NES)
          This was among my earliest gaming memories, and regardless of first owning an SNES, I had played this one prior to Link to the Past. While it may be my lowest rated Zelda game, it’s still an enjoyable play. The controls are fine, and the maps were fun and inventive for thier time. Really, this game set up all the foundations for what Zelda is, and still is to this day.

Not really much I can add to this. A game with very little problem, it looked nice and played well.

133. Mortal Kombat ‬3 (SNES)
          In part, the appeal of this game is the same as that of War Gods. A variety of people violently killing eachother in fun ways. The difference? The game actually played well. For me, this was pretty much the bar for an SNES fighter to be a good game.

It wasn't my favorite, but it was alwasy a fun time with a few friends. It's another game that didn't really have any major problems with it.

That said, there is somethign keeping it, and a lot of other fighting games, from being my favorite. And that is the memorization required to improve. MK was always pretty bad about having some really silly and long button combo's. Still though, it was great fun.

132. Street Figher 2 (SNES)
          It’s smoother controls make this game edge out Mortal Kombat for me. command imput were less bothersome then MK. As much as I missed MK’s more brutal and gory appeal, it couldn’t edge out actual quality.

Though I think the biggest thing for me is the different characters felt a lot more unique, having a bigger array of Mannerism’s from character to character. It gave a bit more of a personal attachment to the characters that MK just laked.

131. Legend of the Ghost Lion (‬NES)
          I have barely played any NES games, to be fully honest with you. However, in my limited experience, I’ve played a couple games that people I know who have played a lot of NES games have never heard of. One such title was Legend of the Ghost Lion. And this was a fun little gem on the system.

It was a turned based RPG, but you didn’t level by fighting. You gained levels by finding the power ups in chests. The combat itself was pretty basic, but fun and required some effort. It also had a fun style about the world to keep you interested.

It’s been so long since I’ve played it, so I can’t remember to much story details. So perhaps I’ll put this on on in the near future, and see if my opinion has changed.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I assume that since SF2 just got a mention there won't be any other MK's o this list? Why did you have to pick the second worst MK title of the pre-PS2 era?

It's the only MK I enjoyed.

Every other MK just kind of registers as a 'Meh' to me. A non-entity if you will.

But yes, that was a safe assumption.

Blog Entries

"Hmmm, I can understand the placement
    of pokemon. Though I have to admit that
    I personally enjoyed them quite a bit."

"Wait... did you just say that you
    like pokemon? I could see you glorifying
    Mad World and Mortal Kombat because of
    their extreme violence. But... pokemon?"

Oh, don't misunderstand. The reason I like
    pokemon is because of the same reason
    Dark Souls is my favourite game of all time.
    While many games contain great villains and
    enough gore to satisfy me... in pokemon's
    case, the very game itself is evil. Not only
    does it devour the souls of unsuspecting
    kids, turning them into empty puppets. But
    it also makes my favourite hobby possible."

"Your favourite hobby?"

"Watching my opponents slowly struggle to death.
    ...let's just say that I've never had a pokemon
    match take less than 6 hours. I actually caused
    a girl to jump from a skyscraper out of frustration
    from facing my 'stalling forever' team. That was
    one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had."

"...then Wobuffet was banned from
    competitive play, and I quit forever."

Articles
    Blog Entries

MK3 was a big improvement at the time, everything in the game just looked and played really cool. But UMK3 and Trilogy are better because they have that same engine, but with all the crazy characters.

Yeah, when you see MK3 and SF2, those pretty much include all the versions of them.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    MK3 was a big improvement at the time, everything in the game just looked and played really cool. But UMK3 and Trilogy are better because they have that same engine, but with all the crazy characters.
    MK3 was an abomination. They had a successful game on their hands with MK and improved on it in pretty much every conceivable way in MK2 (more characters, improved fighting mechanics, more fatalities, better graphics, and better art direction). Then they decided that the best way to follow up the success of those two would be to remove almost every character fans liked (Scorpion, Reptile, Baraka, etc.) and ugly up the ones that stayed (Kung Lao, Sub Zero), while adding some of the most boring characters in the series with some of the worst character designs the games ever featured (Stryker, Nightwolf, Sindel, etc.). If that weren't bad enough, most of the fatalities weren't half as creative as the previous game, the addition of animalities was about as boring as a finishing move could get aside from Babalities which we can thank MK2 for to be fair. The art direction was also considerably worse with most stages and characters being quite drab compared to the previous games. Especially compared to MK2. And apparently their idea of adding something of value to the combat was to make inescapable dial-a-combo's for those players that can't be bothered to learn how to string some moves together and just wanted to mash a few buttons as fast as they could.

UMK3 and MK Trilogy actually got even more broken on the gameplay front as they went along, but at least they had the good sense to put the characters people liked back in and vary the games visual design a bit more so it wasn't completely depressing to look at. Only took them six months to put UMK3 in arcades too. Unfortunately we didn't get an MK that was actually fun to play until MK4 came out though.

But I don't want to be too hard on the MK3 variations though. At least they aren't nearly as bad as Armageddon was.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

MK2 and the new MK are my favorites. Probably because Scorpion.

It's nice to see LoZ on the list, even though I would have liked to have seen it higher. I just hope there's more Zelda to come. There better be.

Extremely disappointed by there being only one Metroid on the list, it being so low, and it being Metroid 3 in particular, since it's one of the worst.

Are we going to see Killer Instinct on this list? I hope so.

Keep it up.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The old Street Fighters were definitely better than the old Mortal Kombats, though I enjoyed both growing up. I would say more than just one spot better.

Articles
    Blog Entries

*shrug* I probably didn't play it as in-depth as you, then, Vivi, but to me it was just a fun game to play that really pushed the visuals forward. It may have been more drab, but that was probably in part to MK3 taking place on Earth instead of Outworld. And I liked the Cyborg Ninjas.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I couldn't really get into Legend of Zelda when I downloaded it from the Wii store. I think it's because I came to it after playing ALTTP which improved on it in every way. Good to see it on the list though as it was where it all started!

I also agree that MK3 wasn't particularly enjoyable. I loved MK2 and spent countless hours trying to perfect all the finishing moves. The thing with Mortal Kombat in general though is that it's all about the fatalities. As a fighting game it's always been pretty poor. You end up taking it in turn with your mates letting each other win... just so you can try the fatalities. It invariably ends with you failing miserably as your opponent wobbles around for five seconds before collapsing.

Street Fighter 2 on the other hand is a proper beat 'em up. Much more enjoyable fights and all the characters are pretty well matched. Though I did hate fighting Ryu or Ken... takes one jump backwards, HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! HADOKEN! smurf you... just, smurf you

Legend of the Ghost Lion sounds like a game a developer came up with after drinking a particularly bad batch of ale. I haven't played it but I'm sure it's pretty good!
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-07-2013 at 12:55 PM.

It's bizzare, I've ever met anyone online who played that game, yet I never actually even owned an NES, I played at a friends house.