Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141828 ... LastLast

Thread: The greatest games - A Personal list of Neocracker~

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't pass comment on any of the previous six games having not experienced them. I would like to take this opportunity to say I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, Neocracker. Keep it up!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    (SPOILER)As magical as WC2 and 3 were for me, I've never gotten into Starcraft. I played Warcraft for what it was, Age of Empires was another fun MP game for some of the cliques I was in, but Command & Conquer's always been my main squeeze.

Did you intend to have three blizzard games in a row for this post?
    It was purely coincidence they all ended up here. it did, however, allow me to make a bad pun.
    Bad puns are always good!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm with Bolivar in that I never cared for Starcraft but I adored Warcraft. I think it just has a really tongue-in-cheek, comical atmosphere that makes the entire thing endearing and then as you play you can really find all the characters, races and personalities can come to life. In Starcraft, I always felt that it didn't convey nearly as well. Perhaps it's the dark look or the military talk that put me off... not sure. Either way, I never had any trouble playing Dune II, Warcraft or Warzone 2100 while C&C and Starcraft always seemed dull by comparison.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Ah, thank you bubba. You warm my cold, callous heart.

A rather inconsistent set for once!

120.Wild Arms 3 (PS2)
          Okay, I promise that I’m just about out of not good games on this list. But just indulge me on this one. Compared to other games in this series, this one falls a bit flat in more then one way.

However I think there is still some merit to this game. It’s porbably the most ‘wild west’ feeling of the franchise, which I really enjoyed. It featured a female protaganist that was actually fairly well written, not something you see happen all that often in an RPG, so it was appriciated.

The Battle system is pretty damn basic, but functional. And once you discover the Clive trick, which is easy, the game is pretty much a walk through. But it’s fun, and theres a fair amount of customization. Just nothing special.

Also, there are a lot of fun plot elements, it just has a problem properly executing them. But at the same time it resolves anything it needs to resolve, and it makes enough sense that it allows you to appriciate some of the finer plot points, even if there are only a few to be had.

119. Ghengis Khan (NES)
          This game was awesome back in the day. Basically it’s the same game as Nobunaga’s Ambition. You take the role of Ghengis Khan in the single player, and expand your influence over the land of Mongolia.

There was a lot of aspects to this game for an NES title. Population and Army Moral was invovled, wheter or not you controled different conquered territories or if you put them in charge of one of your heirs. Your hiers, as well as yourself, have sperate stats that effect them in battle as well.

Different merchants from different areas, spies, and sending spies to smurf with your enemies was great. I can’t think of another NES title that had the complexity this game had, or even most SNES titles. There was even a multiplayer where each person had control of a country (Multiplayer expands to all asai rather then just Mongolia), and turns would be taken as people built up their nations for war. Great as either single or multiplayer.

118. Super Mario World (SNES)
    117. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES)
          Firstly, I am going to hide behind a bullet proof shield. Someone is going to be ready to stab me since Super Mario didn’t even make my top 100 games list. I’ll preface this by saying I fully understand why other people would put these higher.

Super Mario World is actually the very first video game I had ever played. My earliest memory is finding out I had gotten a Super Nintendo for christmas, and it came with Super Mario World. This game has a very important place in my heart. It’s what introduced me to my favorite hobby, which was great for meating and getting to know people I’d consider my best of friends.

That said, as important as I feel this game was to me, there were a large number of games that came after I enjoyed more. It was, and still is, a solid gaming experience. It became the basis for the Side Scroller of the era. Fun in both single player and multiplayer, the thing that holds this game back is it isn’t long before it all starts to feel samey.

Once you’ve experienced all the power ups, which is fairly early, the game runs out of new things to fofer. Still, the levels are fun and good looking,. Even if you started gaming long after the SNES era, I think there is still plenty of enjoyment to be had with this game.

The second game added a fair bit, but inevitabely falls into the same hole. About half way in, the game has nothing new to offer, but still manages to be a great run. As the first, this one is also a great game to pick up.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whoa, whoa, whoa....

i will be awake again in about four hours time... and I will then list for you the reasons why Super Mario World is the second-greatest 2-D platformer of all time.

I still respect your opinion though!
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-15-2013 at 02:32 AM.

I eagerly await your response. ;P

FFXIV Character

Same here. It would definitely be a top 50 game for me. I'll let Bubba defend it though.

I want to argue many of these decisions but it seems that you based your list simply on how much fun you had playing each particular game, and there's no arguing that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Pretty cool to read your thoughts on smworld. I guess I'm a tad older since my equivalent was smb3/the original but it was awesome as those console games you want to talk about and play with others. No matter how far out my gaming tastes take me I always inevitably come back to that Nintendo magic (but I wouldn't put Mario that high, neither)

I'm liking this thread so far, but it'd be even better if you posted a screenshot for each game!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ah, Super Mario World. 75 levels of pure, unadulterated fun! I had a NES for years before upgrading to a SNES when I was ten years old. I remember having two games when I opened it on Christmas morning... Super Tennis and of course, Super Mario World.

Super Tennis was great but it didn't get the hours of play that I put into Super Mario World. It was very close to the perfect 2D platformer. Here are a few reasons why...

- Playability - The controls were flawless... incredibly responsive. You just had the perfect level of momentum. Whenever you mis-timed a jump, you have no-one to blame but yourself! As well as the standard platform jumping, it introduced new elements such as climbing fences. You also had the new spin jump to smash through blocks from above... not to mention the new power-ups which I will get onto.
    - The Introduction of Yoshi - Genius. It again added another dimension to the gameplay. Being able to eat apples, hold shells in order to fly, stomp or spit out fire. Plus, the coloured Yoshi's you can acquire later in the game to ease your attempts at Special Road.
    - Level Design - SMB3 really advanced the level design from the original but this game took it even further. Brilliantly challenging platform jumps, high routes, branching paths, short-cuts, countless hidden rooms, falling for minutes into nothingness avoiding enemies... I always thought Sonic had the edge in platform design but at the time, this could not be matched.
    - Power-ups - It was a shame not to see some of the kookier suits from SMB3 (Tanooki, Hammer) but it more than made up for it with the introduction of the cape. This more than anything added another dimension to the Mario formula. It opened up the levels to an incredible extent. This led to lots of sky-based treats to be found, providing you have enough room to take off! It did lead to some levels being far too easy to bypass but that is tantamount to cheating in my book.
    - Music - Anything Koji Kondo touched in this era was guaranteed to be special and this game was no exception. A fantastically diverse selection of music that added so much to the whole atmosphere of the game. The little touches really raised this to another level... like the additional drum beat whenever you're riding Yoshi... or the amazing reggae version of the Mario theme that starts when you've been sat on the Special Road map screen for a few minutes. If you're in any doubt as to how good these tunes were then listen to this... Super Mario Medley - YouTube the majority the SMW tunes are found in this amazing video.

The game wasn't perfect. The difficulty level was far too low for a Mario game. Especially considering the game could be completed in about 30 mins using Star Road. The bosses too (even Bowser) were ridiculously easy as well as the cape being more than a little broken for certain sections of the game. It's this reason more than any that I would still give the edge to SMB3 as my favourite 2D platformer.

It's a small gripe though on what is an incredibly fun game to play. It has sprinkles of Nintendo genius all over it and I still dust off my SNES to go back to this every now and again. As soon as I turn the game on to hear the sound of that first coin... I am immediately ten years old again.
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Firstly, Rostom, that's not a bad Idea, but with the Babe Tournament incoming, I'm pretty much sick of gathering pictures, and will be busier when I start running that and don't know if I can be assed to start finding pictures. And with the size of some of these posts, I don't think I'll really want to be doing pictures shots as well.

Though if everyone wants them, once I hit my top 100 I'll start posting them with the game descriptions.

Secondly, Chionos, feel free to bring up contrary points to any of these games. Part of the reason is to get some Dialogue going on games people don't often get to talk about. Don't let the fact these are just my opinions stop you.

Anyway, on to the next set!

Bit of Nintendo lovin'

116. Rune Factory: Frontier (Wii)
          For those of you who know me, you’ll know I’m a fan of Harvest Moon. You’ll notice though none of the Harvest moon games appear on my list, as I forgot to include any upon it’s completion. However, all of them would rank below this game. Rune Factory is essentially everything good about Harvest Moon plus some.

With the inclusion of of dungeon crawling and a Narrative, Rune Factory achieved a level of emersion other Harvest Moon titles could not. The Farming remained very fun, and more functional then before. Opting for Monster Barns in place of regular farm animals gives a fun variety of harvestable items, as well as giving you ways to train up some farm help.

Now, I know not a singe thing I said there does not sound fun. At all. It’s a game focused around farming and talking to people. Really, I don’t think it’s possible to make a Rune Factory game, or Harvest moon for that matter, sound fun. And I think most fans of it became fans in one of two ways. The first is confusion as to what the game actually is, and then the end up trying it and loving it. Option two takes place with the following scenario.

Guy: Hey, this game is awesome!
    Guy2: What is it!
    Guy: A Farming simulator! And you can get married in it!
    Guy2: That sounds smurfing stupid.
    Guy: PLAY IT!
    *Hours later*
    Guy2: Fine, I’ll smurfing play it.
    *Days later Guy2 emurges from his home*
    Guy2: This game is smurfing awesome!

115. Kirby Super Star (‬SNES)
          This is the definative Kirby game. I never enjoyed the others much at all. Epic Yarn had potential, but was so mind numbingly easy I just couldn’t bring myself to give a single smurf, especially since there really wasn’t a good narrative going on. Super Star, though, while liking a strong Narritve had a lot of other things going for it.

It had a big number of powers Kirby could obtain, all of which operated differently and required different stratagies. Pair that with an AI or human controled partner made from one of many enemy types, you get a huge amount of styles to play.

With multiple story modes, all of which having thier different little quirks, of the SNES era of Side scrollers, this game was easily the most varied. I absolutely adored this game growing up, and even now I find much pleasure in running through it.

114. Paper Mario (N64)
          This game was the crowining achievement of the N64 RPG. Mind you when your only real competition is Quest 64, this isn’t really saying a whole lot. But trust me, this game has a lot going for it.

More then most other aspects though, this game has a lot of charm and humour. You grow to like the characters and world quick, as well as find yourself laughing constantly throught the plot. This game knows not to take itself to seriously, opting more to make your foes look like a bunch of putz’s rather then a legitamate threat. And I’m surprisingly okay with that. Purely humorous RPG’s aren’t all that common.

Asside from that, it has a solid battle system. Not a whole lot of variation to be had, but it’s simple and fun. And with no real problems, and a style of gameplay that fits the light hearted nature of the world and game, it’s forgivable. Especially with all the fun maps and finding the different inventive ways to advance.

Sadly Thousand Year Door will not be making this list. Not that it's a bad game, but I never got a chance to play through it, so I can't give a real honest opinion on it. Though I did play through part of the beginning, and what I saw of it was great!

113.Golden Eye 007 (N64)
          For me, this is pretty much the best FPS game I have ever played. This is, for the most part, a Genre I just don’t enjoy. This game, however, had a few things going for it that gripped me more then other shooters.

As you know by this point, I was never very competative, outside of a few games. This is one of them. All the different silly modes you could unlock, or even regular play, were great fun to be had. I had a mean knack at murdering people with the throwing knives. But the four player split screen on Multiplayer were great times.
          Though what hooked me more then the multiplayer was a campaign mode that actually had some length and challange to it. Lacking in your modern halo’s is both a length and challange. Even to people who haven’t played those games I see them beating it on the harder difficulties with relative ease.

Call of Duty, while being more of a challange then a game like Halo on single player, still suffers from being abysmally short. I always hated when these FPS games started skimping on thier campaign and putting most of the focus on multiplayer. I can understand why, but I was always sad to see the Campaigns of this Genre flounder about so pathetically.

That is why I will always love Golden Eye over any other shooter I’ve played. A campaign that was fun, interesging, and a challange to complete. As a single player gamer, this easily takes the cake for best shooter to me.

FFXIV Character

Oh my. Well. Okay. Um...well yeah, so, I'm, well, I'm just going to sit back and watch and not comment. NC and I apparently have very different opinions on what makes a game "the greatest." :glare::twak:

Articles
    Blog Entries

Good to see the Rune Factory love. There was a time when I was really, really into the DS and the original Rune Factory was a huge reason why (I know you're talking about the Wii one). I don't know what it is that makes a series like Harvest Moon, such an unfun concept, be so irresistibly addicting to people like us, but hey, to each his own.

About FPS... Goldeneye was a significant milestone, but it's one of those titles where the game as a whole has aged to the degree of unplayability, although the multiplayer still retains that design genius at the time (Twisted Metal 2 is very similar). With Call of Duty, the Treyarch games usually aren't that short, and MW3 was longer than the others as well. My personal favorite campaign shooter this gen is Killzone 2 (the multiplayer was brilliance as well). I really like the challenge the learning curve presents with movement being so different from other shooters, and the shooting having a huge learning curve where you really need to learn the gunhandling for each weapon. The levels are really awesomely designed and the cover system makes it very tactical. It's one of the most fun games to play with turning off the HUD and going at it. It's an incredibly immersive game although the brutality does turn some people off.

FEAR 2 is pretty awesome as well.

Blog Entries

I never played Rune Factory for Wii (I want to, as soon as I get another Wii) but I played the trout out of Rune Factory 3 for DS. I liked how they made it more like an action RPG with elements from Harvest Moon. Harvest Moon on its own got tiring to me, and I hate to say that because it's such a cute and charming series. So when Rune Factory came out and it had quests where you could fight monsters and things, it made me interested again.

Kirby Super Star (that is what you are). This is still my favorite Kirby game, because of the variety. You got your Kirby's Dream Land remake, your collect-a-thon, your racing mode, your boss rush mode.....not to mention probably the biggest array of powers in the series. Oh, and you could play with a friend!

Paper Mario. Oh god, where to start on that game. At first, I hated the game. Later on, though, like 5 years later, I downloaded a, *ahem*....."copy" of it and really liked it that time. Everything about this game was on point. I especially loved the battle system and the storybook graphics. It was cutesy to the point of being sickening (especially Bowser and Peach), but it was a worthy sequel to the Square game.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

I haven't played it recently so I can't comment on how it's aged, but just due to the sheer amount of fun I've had playing it with friends, I would put Goldeneye much higher. Like somewhere in the top 50. But then again, you say you're not a fan of the genre so I guess it's no surprise it's low.