Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast

Thread: The greatest games - A Personal list of Neocracker~

I'm a bit late in updating this, I was a bit busy with life and finishing up the Babe Tournament. But, we return with the final Fighting Game entry on this list!

65. Blazblu: Calamity Trigger
    64. Blazblu: Continuum Shift

This, to me, is the fighting game that all other fighting games should strive to be, at least in terms of quality. Solid gameplay, every character is viable, and it has an absolutely wonderful visual presentation. Each character is radically different from the others as well, made in part possible by their special attack set. One guy magnetizes his opponents, one controls a puppet along with himself Simultaneously, one person alters the course of projectiles, it’s a blast no matter who you have.

More then anything though, Blazblu has the best story of any Fighting game I have ever played, along with the best method of presenting it I have ever seen. The Sequel did the best job with this, revealing if your choices were one of the possible futures shown by The Continuum Shift, or if it’s the true story.

And then there are the joke endings, which are just amazingly hilarious. A personal favorite being the developers beating the Slashfic writers to the punch and making Jin seem like the creepy Rapist stalking Ragna. As far as a single player experience goes, there really isn’t a better fighting game out there then Blazblu.
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 02-28-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Yes ! The Blazblue games !

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    there really isn’t a better fighting game out there then Blazblu.
    *cough* Guilty Gear series

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It's been three days, man. I don't think Blazbu's gonna get much more intense debate thrown about.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I"ve been busy and have to much to do to update. I'll do it tomorrow.

Also Wolf Is wrong.

Best fighting game series is Samurai Shodown.

The games on Neo's list which I have played: 22 games
    144. Twisted Metal 2 (PS1)
    142. Vigilante 8 (PS1/n64)
    TM and V8 were far too similar so I really only played a demon of the latter.
    133. Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)
    132. Street Fighter 2 (SNES)
    I love MK3 introducing the cyborgs and brutalities. I only played SF2 at arcades.
    129. Final Fantasy VII*
    People here may know me as a rabid FF7 fan and one who endorses the compilation.
    120. Wild Arms 3 (PS2)*
    I became a fan of the ARMs series after playing and subsequently owning WA3.
    109. Tales of Destiny (PS1)*
    I have also played ToD and it's sequel though after their initial rental, I was never able to find them again.
    107. Legaia 2: Dual Saga (PS2)*
    Unlike WA, I purchased Dual Saga due to regret at not owning Legaia when I had the chance.
    104. Legend of Dragoon (PSX)*
    Dragoon was and is an awesome game even if the encounter rate is disturbing and the process is slow.
    97. Killer Instinct (SNES)
    The KI series I've only ever played infrenquently at arcades.
    95. Starfox 64 (N64)
    When I originally played it, I wasn't much a fan of simulated flight, though I later began to play games like AceCombat.
    93. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS3)*
    It's an awesome game in my opinion. One of many that I lost track of for a while and was delightfully surprised when I found it again.
    92. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1)*
    I used the Soap in the men's locker room... I never had the opportunity to use it in the lady's shower room. The game had a cool story too although I never liked the main protagonist's appearance.
    91. Bloody Roar (PSX)
    Arcaded. I've always liked the shapeshifting totem-morphing aspect. I kind of think this particular series could have worked better as a celshaded 2d game since the graphics didn't really do the characters justice.
    90. Twisted Metal 3 (PSX)
    Eh.
    85. Soul Calibur 3 (PS2)*
    I loved being able to customize my own characters and only all too happy the feature returned later.
    80. Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)*
    77. Soul Calibur 2 (PS2)*
    Not that there's anything wrong with Heihachi, but would rather have played as Spawn or Link. Unfortunately, I didn't own an XBOX or Gamecube.
    76. Tekken 5 (PS2)
    75. Tekken 3 (PS1)
    My favorite character persistently remains Hwoarang although I prefer his Tekken 4 Korean military outfit.
    71. Legend of Legaia (PSX)*
    One of my favorite parts of the original was a mini-game styled like roshambo (reminded me of the Gold Saucer Wonder Square game, only faster).

Some titles I have minimal experience with. *Marks my favorite games on the list.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I could never get into Samurai Showdown myself.

Anyway, somewhat brief with this description, but smurf it, here's the next games!

63. Disgaea 4 (PS3)
    62. . Disgaea 3 (PS3)

Having not play the first, and not really being impressed by the second, these two games were absolutely wonderful. These games really are wonderful experiences, even though I don’t have an interest the vast majority of the Post Game stuff.

It was a hard call to put Disgaea 3 over 4, but where Absence of Justice wins out is I was much more invested in it’s cast of characters. Mao and his Mad Scientist vibe wins out over Vavlatorez the Vampire loving sardines and refusing to drink blood, though Both are awesome leads. Past them, the Butler in 4 is the only character that I think keeps up with the cast of 3.

The Game play is varied greatly due to all the different classes and monsters you can make, and the classes are almost all fun to play with, given a few exceptions. Overall, you can’t go wrong with these two games if you can enjoy the goofy nature of the stories told.

Also, just as a side note, a personal favorite moment of this series was the Home Economics Teachers voice replacing another characters inner monologue from Disgaea 3.

Edit: ANd because I forgot to include this info.....

I also want to note, Disgaea 3 was one of the first PS3 games I had played, if not the first. Twas a great introduction to the system for me. Though, there is something that bothers me a lot with the Disgaea sereis.

That would be the effect tiles. In premise I don't mind them, but both these games suffer from the last few dungeons are more of a puzzle game then an SRPG, and those maps bother the ever loving smurf out of me. I am here to play an SRPG, stop making me solve these smurfing puzzle maps!
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 02-28-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You really like fighting games, huh. I liked this list better when it had variation so it was more likely to have a game I could discuss. >=(

It's odd looking at this list actually, as I'm surprised how many fighting games ended up on this, yet I don't see myself as a big Fighting game guy.

Most of these are on this list due to playing them with some friends and having a good old time more so then enjoyment of the games themselves. Perhaps I would have been better off telling tales of the silly things that happen while playing them. (Blazblu is the only series, as well as P4, I can say I truly enjoyed regardless of friends to play with though. )

SO, I shall give you one!

This was with Tekken 6. Me and my friend Brian came to the conclusion that Marduk was a woman beater, don't know why, just looked like one. After a few days we realized something. Whenever we played with Mardock, he would ALWAYS win if the other player was a female character, and ALWAYS lose if it was a Male opponent. It was smurfing priceless. XD

ANd besides, that was the last fighting game anyway, so meh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yay!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looking forward to games I can comment on!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Despite being a big SRPG fan and a hardcore PS3 gamer when these came out, I never got the Disgaea games. I guess I just assumed that I needed to play the originals first. At the same time, I am a little put-off by the uber-anime style that modern JRPGs embrace. It's not like FFVII where the characters are inspired by anime, but still rendered in a video game; I evangelize Japanese games, but these are just too Japanese for me.

Here's a game you may have played BoB!

61. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
          Another one of my earlier experiences
    gaming, Link to the Past was a blast to play. I'd played this one not long
    after the original game on the NES.

The games controls are all solid, and
    I don't think I've ever had an issue with it. You get a lot of fun little
    toys to play around with, solving the different dungeons and handling
    a variety of enemies.

The Dungeons are varied and all have
    a unique and fun feel, never feeling like it retreads the same ground
    more then once. Considering the amount of dungeons in this game, that is
    an accomplishement.

The one real problem I can find with this
    game is the story and characters. The story isn't bad, but mostly bare
    bones, and you never really see any real personality to any character in
    the game. But hey, everything else is great, so it still gets this place.

60. Makai Kingdom (PS2)
          In the realm of the NIS strategy RPG,
    never had they gotten as right as they did With Makai Kingdom. My favorite
    of the NIS SRPG's, I don't know if I have ever laughed as much at one of
    thier titles.

Overlord Zeta is an absolute riot,
    with a huge amount of memorable lines, a personal favorite being
    "Disperse my Loyal Battle Monkeys. Do my bidding and bust a cap!" Between
    him and every other character you will be laughing constantly as time goes
    by. The humour does take the forefront, but that doesn't stop you from getting
    invested in the story and fates of the characters. So long as you have no
    issues with NIS's over the top worlds and story's, this is a great story.

And the combat is my favorite of these
    games. Dropping the tile set up for a distance and area based movement, they
    don't have the damned colored tiles which I loved. This game dropped the
    worst aspect about the other titles, and I love it for doing so. Check this
    out if you have the chance, it will not dissapoint.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*Cracks knuckles and prepares to type*

I still regard A Link to the Past as my second favourite game of all time. I remember being bought this game for my tenth birthday. It was a Tuesday morning and I had school that day. I played the game for around ten minutes before I had to leave. In that time, I remember finding the secret entrance to the castle and meeting my Uncle to gain the sword. I couldn't concentrate on anything else all day...

I own every copy of 'Super Play' magazine... which was dedicated to the Super Nintendo. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was reviewed in issue 2 and received a favourable score of 93%. This magazine ran for exactly four years. Even in the very last issues, they had people expressing love... and requesting help. It was just a special game.

I have played the original Legend of Zelda and it is clear that ALTTP was Miyamoto's true vision of this game... and his life around Kyoto. He wanted a game where exploration was the key. He combined this perfectly with an action element which, in a 2D gaming world, will never be surpassed.

It was perfectly balanced. A tightly compacted gem of absolute genius design. It wasn't a particularly large world... you could walk from one end to the other in a couple of minutes. But there was so much included in this limited space, it was the first gaming world I was ever really lost in.

I very rarely use the word "timeless" in reference to computer games because by its very nature, the world of yesterday in reference to gaming, will always be dated. But... this game is now over twenty years old and it is still finding fans today. I can also guarantee, it will still find fans in years to come.