Page 1 of 31 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: The greatest games - A Personal list of Neocracker~

Default The greatest games - A Personal list of Neocracker~

Hello all and welcome! I, as you may know, and Neocracker, and I play way to many video games.

A thing we are working on in EC has inspired me to take a bit of time out to do this. I will be going through a list of all of the games I have enjoyed enough to leave an impact on my, in one way or the other.

When I say all, I mean all. Every game that came to my mind as I sat down to think about it. Things that didn't clearly weren't impactful enough to matter.

Here is how this will work. Once a weak, possibly longer, I’ll post up a few from my list, starting from the bottom, or my least favorite game of all time.

The goal is to discuss the games listed. What you like about them, what you hate, perhaps you think they are two low on the list? Too High? If the conversation on those games is lively, I’ll likely keep from updating for a bit.

Essentially, part of the reason for this is to give everyone a chance to, perhaps, talk about games they never get the chance to talk about. I do have some rather odd choices on this list, so that is likely to happen a lot!

I have a few points on the list I’ll interject some games that I disliked enough to have had an impact on me. Oddy enough, that list is like, only 20.

The list of games, the normal one, totals 149. (A few I clumped together, such as Pokemon. All the pokemon games, for instance, occupy one spot on the list rather then the 10 million that exist out there. )

This isnt’ really a formal event or anything, and I may also slow down in times when other events are active and lively. Yes, this will take ages to complete, and I know it may not be finished if no one takes any interest, but smurf it! :Monster:

I’ll use a second post to keep a list of all the games I’ve made it through thus far, so you can see where we are just by looking at it. I’ll also be updating my signature soon, complete with image link to the thread, and a clift note showing the games currently under discussion!

This is a very personal list, and in no way is objective. Though I would still like for you to join me, and have a bit of fun along the way!

Also, here is some games that won't be appearing on the list for one reason or another.

I remember them, but have no real opinoin on them/not played enough of it to say
    Arc the Lad I (PS1)
    Wild Arms (‬PSX)
    Everquest (PC)
    World of Warcraft (PC)
    Final Fantasy XI (PC/PS2)
    Civilization IV (PC)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PS3/360/PC)
    Dual Orb 2
    Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
    Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
    Sparkster (SNES)
    Pirates of Dark Water (SNES)
    God of War 2 (PS2)
    Breath of Fire IV (PSX)
    Legend of Mana (PSX)
    Soul Blazer (SNES)
    Phantom Brave (‬PS2)
    Darksiders (PS3/360)
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Saga Frontier (‬PSX)
    Legastia (PS3)

Haven’t getten around to playing
    Final Fantasy VII (Crisis Core)
    Shin Megami Tensai: Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
    Everquest 2 (PC)
    Gears of War 2 (XBox 360)
    Final Fantasy XIV (PC)
    Civilization V (PC)
    Diablo III (PC)
    Starcraft II (PC)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3/360/PC)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3/360/PC)
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3/360/PC)
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 (PS3/360/PC)
    Alundra (PS1)
    Alundra 2 (PS1)
    Arc the Lad 2 (PSX)
    Arc the Lad 3 (PSX)

And a special thanks to Pitye, who was working on some sigs for me for this. She is an absolute dear who despite my vague and likely bothersome requests, is working on some for me.

149-117

149. Paladins Quest (SNES)
    148. War Gods (N64)
    147. Totaled (XBox)
    146. Lufia: Legends of Lore (GBC)
    145. Enchanted Arms (360/PS3)

144. Twisted Metal 2 (PS1)
    143. Twisted metal Black (PS2)
    142. Vigilante 8 (PS1/n64)

141. Cool Spot (Genesis)
    140. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3/360/PC)
    139. Hook (SNES)

138. Metroid Prime 3 (Wii)
    137. Mad World (Wii)
    136. Gears of War (360)
    135. Pokemon (Any of them)

134. Legend of Zelda (NES)
    133. Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)
    132. Street Fighter 2 (SNES)
    131. Legend of the Ghost Lion (NES)

130. Digimon World 2
    129. Final Fantasy VII

128. Lagoon (SNES)
    127. Civilization (PC)
    126.5. Mario Kart 64 (N64)

126. Brain Lord (SNES)
    125. Sly Cooper 1+2 (PS2)
    124. Wario World (Virtual Boy)

123. Warcraft 2
    122. Starcraft
    121. Diablo 2

120. Wild Arms 3 (PS2)
    119. Ghengis Khan (NES)
    118. Super Mario World
    117. Super Mario World 2

116-101116. Rune Factory: Frontier (Wii)
    115. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
    114. Paper Mario (N64)
    113. Goldeneye 007 (N64)

112. Lolipop Chainsaw (PS3/360)
    111. Hyper Dimension Neptunia (PS3)
    110. Hyper Dimension Neptunia Mk. 2 (PS3)
    109. Tales of Destiny (PS1)

108. Luminous Arc (DS)
    107. Legend of Legia 2 (PS2)
    106. Star Ocean: The Last Hope (PS3/360)

105. Starfox (SNES)
    104. Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
    103. Toejam and Earl 2: Panic on Funktron (Genesis)

102. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
    101. La Pucelle Tactics (PS2)

100-86100. Trinity Universe (PS3)
    99. Megaman X/X2 (SNES)
    98. Megaman X3

97. Killer Instinct (SNES)
    96. Disgaea 2 (PS2)
    95. Starfox 64 (N64)

94. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Gamecube/Wii)
    93. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS3)
    92. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1)

91. Bloody Roar (PSX)
    90. Twisted Metal 3 (PSX)
    89. Pokey and Rocky 2 (SNES)

88. Robotreck
    87. Dragon Age: Origins
    86. Dragon Age 2

85-60
    85. Soul Calibur 3 (PS2)
    84. Bahamut Lagoon (SNES)
    83. Skies of Arcadia Legend (Gamecube)

82. Super Smash Brothers (N64)
    81. Super Smash Brothers Mellee (Gamecube)
    80. Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)

79. Terranigma (SNES)
    78. Borderlands (PS3/360/PC)

77. Soul Calibur 2 (PS2)
    76. Tekken 5 (PS2)
    75. Tekken 3/6 (PS1/PS3)

74. God of War 1-3 (PS2/3)
    73. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    72. Batman: Arkham City

71. Legend of Legaia (PSX)
    70. Penny Arcade Series
    69. Radiant Historia (DS)
    68. Illusions of Gaia (SNES)

67. Persona 4: Arena
    66. Borderlands 2

65. Blazblu: Calamaty Trigger
    64. Blazblu: Continuum Shift

63. Disgaea 4 (PS3)
    62. Disgaea 3 (PS3)

61. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
    60. Makai Kingdom (PS2)

59-4059. Golden Sun (GBA)
    58. Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

57. Catherine (PS3/360)
    56. Katamari Series

55. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
    54. Chrono Cross (PSX)

53. Atelier Iris (PS2)
    52. Atelier Iris 2 (PS2)
    51. Wild Arms 4 (PSX)

50. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
    49. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
    48. No More Heroes (Wii)

47. Atelier Rorona (PS3)
    46. Atelier Totori (PS3)
    45. Atelier Meruru (PS3)

44. Final Fantasy V (SNES)
    43. No More Hereos: Desperate Struggle (Wii)
    42. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

41. White Knight Chronicles (PS3)
    40. White Knight Chronicles 2 (PS3)

39-1339. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
    38. Wild Arms 5 (PS2)

37. Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
    36. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)

35. Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (PC)
    34. Heavy Rain (PS3)

33. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinestrals (SNES)
    32. Infamous 2 (PS3)
    31. Infamous (PS3)

30. Breath of Fire III (PSX)
    29. Brigandine: Legend of Forsena (PSX)

28. Golden Sun DS (DS)
    27. Earthbound (SNES)
    26.5 Mother 3 (GBA)

26. Secret of Mana (SNES)
    25. Legend of Zelda: Windwaker

24. Fallout: New Vegas (PS3/360/PC)
    23. Rune Factory 3 (NDS)

22. Demon Souls (PS3)
    21. Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)

20. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
    19. Dark Souls (PS3/360/PC)

18. Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)
    17. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)

16. Wild Arms 2 (PSX)
    15. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)

14. Devil Survivor (DS)
    13. Odin Sphere (PS2)

12-612. Breath of Fire 2 (SNES)
    11. Record of the Agarest War (PS3)
    10. Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Survivor 2
    9. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
    8. Mana Khemia (PS2)
    7. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
    [URL="http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/147620-greatest-games-personal-list-neocracker-26.html#post3240030"]6. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

To keep this list from getting really long looking in one post, I'm now listing them in chunks. Feel free to open up the spoilers, and they should still link to the games listed if you click on them. :P

And Below is the Bad games I've played. Only 13 entrants saddly.

13 Worst games (13-5)
    13. The Elder Scrolls III/IV
    12. Shin Megami Tensai: Persona
    11. Folklore
    10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

9. Halo Franchise
    8. Final Fantasy X/II
    7. L.A. Noire
    6. Xenogears
    5. Dante's Inferno
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 04-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Okay, this has just been to keep my first few posts looking somewhat orderly. There won't be more consecutive posts after this.

What a great way to start off...

149. Paladins Quest (SNES)
          Yeah, there is no defense for this game. Its bad. Honestly this game does pretty much nothing right. It looks dated for it’s time, the characters are badly designed, and I can say nothing good for this game.

This is easily the worse game I’ve ever played that I still kind of like. There’s this odd charm in it’s cheesy dialogue that I can’t quite explain, and it’s horribly designed battle system still gives me a modicum of joy.

Not much detail will go into this, but it still has this awkward place in my heart, and for the life of me I couldn’t tell you why.

148. War Gods (N64)
          Again, this is kind of a hard game to defend. As a Fighting game, War Gods didn’t really have a big roster, being beaten out by many SNES fighting games. The controls were a bit stiff, and the N64 controller was terrible for fighters, (And most things to be fully honest.)

But there was a fun variety in it’s little cast., and a lot of the moves, mostly finishers, that were just fun to watch. You get to see a Stone Golem punt a guys head off after hammering him into the ground, a guy cut them open with a voodoo doll, or a guy knocking you onto an alter and ripping your heart out to take a bite of it.

So yeah, I enjoyed it based solely on some pretty base and silly reasons, but I was young.

147. Totaled (XBOX)
          Yep, the only original XBox Title on my list. This game was pretty aware of what it was, stupid fun. It was a destruction derby where you smashed other cars and hoped they went boom before yours did.

It’s pretty much as basic a set up as you can get, and honestly the controls were a bit stiff, and graphics were... Passable.

But when played with a friend, there was a thrill in smashing the crap out of each other, and things getting totaled in bizarre and fun ways. In the games defense, I think that’s what it was going for, and it succeeded at that. But pretty much only that.

146. Lufia: Legends of Lore (GBC)
          This was kind of a hard game to place on this list to be fully honest with you. There was a lot about the game that bothered me, especially as a fan of Lufia’s 1 and 2.

The game is clearly made to cater to the fans, with the world and story elements, but gives us nothing we actually wanted. The kept the answers of Arek the Absolute, the last major point of the Lufia Universe that needed answered, and instead gave us one more struggle against the Sinestrals.

The problem is for a new comer to the series, there really isn’t anything about the world or story you would come in caring about, so this game seems like it wasn’t really made for anyone.

However, the games saving grace is it’s unique battle system. a turn based RPG that utilizes 9 playable characters, and handles the large size very well, and making party position more important then in most RPG’s.

145. Enchanted Arms (PS3/360)
          You may be noticing a pattern here. That pattern being that these first five games are all kind of poopy. And you would be write. They are.

Enchanted arms, noticeably, is a game that gets a lot of crap, and rightfully so. Probably the games two best features are the environments look pretty cool, and it didn't’ completely smurf everything up.

The story is good in premise, but at most turns the execution is flawed. Characters are pretty stock, leaving only a couple decent characters and one that's constantly annoying.

The Battle system is okay, and fairly unique. Essentially this is the only part that's not too bad, though the game is a bit on the easy side, so the battle system kind of wears itself out about half way through.

Trust me though, I promise the list starts getting better.
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 01-01-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I approve of this thread.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Lets just see if this thread ever sees it's Finale!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It bloody well better.

Also, I should specify I'm not always going to post in chunks of 5. For the most part I'll be posting chunks that I think would be a bit easier to discuss as a group, or at least have some kind of connecting factor.

Mind you, the list wasn't ordered on that basis, so it's not going to happen to often.

Blog Entries

The only two games so far that I know about are Lufia and Paladins Quest. And while I never played Lufia, I can say I have no objections to the placement of Paladins Quest (well, I never finished that game either to be honest).

Looking forward to seeing what games are going to show up higher on the list though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You mentioned the last couple CoD games as ones you need to play, except the last one. Are you playing Black Ops 2?

I will co-sign BoB's approval

Sounds like fun.

I see the Neocracker name is back.

Happy 2013 homie

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh god, I forgot about War Gods, thanks for reminding me about that.

I pretty much agree with the Lufia Legends of Lore review, it's not a great game and is definitely leaves much to be desired for a real sequel to Lufia II but it has it's moments. I should actually finish it someday...

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    You mentioned the last couple CoD games as ones you need to play, except the last one. Are you playing Black Ops 2?

I will co-sign BoB's approval

Sounds like fun.

I see the Neocracker name is back.

Happy 2013 homie
    I actually only played it. The game itself hardly left an impression on me, as I just don't really like Shooters. Any Black Ops game not on one of those lists,CoD games not listed on one of those lists are ones I just didn't add. No CoD will be appearing on the countdown.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Less chatter, more listy! Once a week is going to take far too long. >=[

I didn't really intend for this to go by fast, I wanted to leave people time to discuss the games.

However, there isn't a whole lot of discussion to be had on these ones, so I'll go ahead and post the next few.

Now it's time for a little bit of Carnage

144. Twisted Metal 2 (PSX)
    143. Twisted Metal Black (PS2)
           I figured since these were right next to eachother, I'd just do them together, since the snippets would be so similar to each other. This was one of the funner multi-layer games from my youth. The story conclusions were all fun in the single player as well.

While this is a pretty universally enjoyed series, it's not perfect. The control scheme is pretty archaic feeling, and hasn't aged to well. But its handles well enough. And with a big variety of drivers to choose from, there's plenty of fun to be had playing through the campaigns.

As I mentioned above though, it's the mufti-player that made these games. Getting a friend and having battle royal's on massive and multilayer maps, blowing each other to pieces with a variety of weapons, smashing into each other from unexpected locations. There really isn't a game that quite compares with Twisted Metal's levels of destruction and carnage.

142.Vigilante 8 (PS1/N64)
          Yes. I place the original Twisted Metal Knock off above Twisted Metal. Really, just about everything I said about Twisted Metal's 2 and black applies to this. It had a bit of an edge for me though. That being the different vehicles and drivers were goofier, and for some reason that added a bit of this odd charm for me, knowing the game just embraced it's inability to be taken seriously. That sounds odd, and this is hardly inciteful, and really tells you nothing about the game at all. But really there is nothing else to be said about. Honestly this game is a shameless rip off that should probably be forgotten and buried. But I can't let that happen, now can I?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, look, a game I've played. Twisted Metal was alright. You're right in that it was never a great game, but still very enjoyable.

I get the feeling I'm going to have a lot of games on here you have never played.