Thread: Synesthesia

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

You can do me as well, Boobies.

I do not have synesthesia. The only thing weird about my eyes is that I'll sometimes see spots as the result of eyestrain or headaches that interfere with my visual field enough to make reading/using a computer difficult. It's very annoying, but is fortunately fairly uncommon.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't have color synesthesia necessarily, in the sense that I don't see text as rainbow colored as the original post in this thread, but there are certain words, people, and places that I associate with specific colors. This is only because they're commonly paired together, though. I'm sure it's not uncommon to think of the color red right after you see the word apple.

However the following is something I experience:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise).
    Also, some words I read tend to "pop out" at me. Almost like a 3D effect, similar to how if you stare at a computer screen for a few hours the words look like they start to move. I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure it's related to my OCD somehow, where I tend to glare at specific words that look uncommon, misspelled, or heavily erased and rewritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    There are a couple of sounds I have found to make me physically feel something.
    Any chance it could be this?

http://home.eyesonff.com/general-cha...ad-orgasm.html

Articles

There is a good book by V. S. Ramachandran on this. Also you can probably find some youtubes of him talking about it, he might be the worlds' expert on it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    What I'm talking about isn't that, but I have experienced that as well. What I'm talking about is just that when I hear people buzz their lips, my lips feel as if they are doing it to. I actually find that to be an extremely unpleasant feeling so I hate it when anyone does that. Choir in high school was miserable sometimes because we had to do that as a warm up. I would just cover my ears and refuse to do the warm up. Also the sound (and feel) of certain rough fabrics rubbing against each other cause my teeth to hurt. For some reason, it also creates a metallic taste in my mouth. I have no idea why though.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    However the following is something I experience:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise).
    How strange - this is something I do as well! I always thought it was something that everyone did, though now that I think about it I'm not sure why.