Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pete's paintings thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Lovely! I love the effect with the sky in the first one, what did you do to create that?
    It's a very easy oil painting trick, but it does require some preparation;

First paint the entire canvas black with black acrylic and let it dry completely. Then add the following oil paint colours wildly (as in; it doesn't have to be precise at all!): Indian Yellow where you want the sun to be, Alyzarin Crimson (red) in a ring around the yellow, followed up by a ring of Pthalo blue around the red. Use lot's of paint! Important stuff: these oil colours are transparent colours, meaning that when you put them on the black canvas it still looks very dark. With a clean brush blend all that together in circles starting in the yellow, working all the way outwards.

Then grab a small brush full of white and just smack some on wildly, starting in the yellow and working outward. When the brush runs out of white, wipe it quickly with some paper towel, load it up with more white, apply again. When you think there's enough white on it blend it all with a clean dry brush for added effect. The transparent colours mix with the white and will start to show very brightly.

I love this trick, it's really easy and needs very little precision.

Bob Ross shows and explains it way better in this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nox3vRVZUUs

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm sure that sounds delightfully simple for someone who has done painting for years.

Actually, I don't think I've asked you what got you into art and painting yet.

I'm sure that sounds delightfully simple for someone who has done painting for years.

Actually, I don't think I've asked you what got you into art and painting yet.
    ;D

I always used to doodle in my schoolbooks as a kid, but serious drawing and sketching didn't start until I was 19-20. Seeing the artworks on sites like Deviantart made me want to get good at it too. My drawings were always black and white though and eventually I got tired of it and wanted to try colours. That started off digitally in Photoshop, then watercolours, then acrylics (I took a painting mini-course in university), all with moderate success. After watching Bob Ross for breakfast about 2 months straight I just had to try oil painting and following the afro-man's tutorials made it surprisingly easy to pick up! It's just a lot of fun

Working on a new digital piece and it shall have ruins!

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 11.40.27.png

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

oooo I look forward to seeing the results!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    oooo I look forward to seeing the results!
    Here it is ;D

EarthquakeChurch_800_3.jpg

I'm really excited about this one. Mainly because I've never really done any nighttime scenes, and also because I feel like I learned a whole lot about texturing stone and walls;

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 09.11.30.png

;D

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Holy trout. That was just not what I was expecting! It looks great! I just thought it'd be some cool ruins but that's a great night time piece!

Big thanks to everyone who nominated and voted for me in the Ciddies!

Here's a new one;

PLAINS_DEF_800.jpg

Wow! It's so epic looking! I really like it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Breathtaking. I love the desolate landscape interrupted by the pale green/blue floating island jutting out to get your attention. Surprisingly calming, looking at it.

New stuff ;D Fiddled with the lighting for hours and hours. Hope it turned out good!

PianoInAForest_DEF_1200.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

Is that a piano in the distance? It really gives it a creepy, mysterious vibe. I love how the light streams in through the treetops.

Excellent work!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Omg, that looks like a background ripped straight out of Icewind Dale! D:

Is that a piano in the distance? It really gives it a creepy, mysterious vibe. I love how the light streams in through the treetops.

Excellent work!
    Thank you! It is a piano indeed! People have commented on it "is that a couch?" But im glad it does kinda show!

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Omg, that looks like a background ripped straight out of Icewind Dale! D:
    What is icewind dale? Is this a good or bad thing? :0