Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's paintings thread!

Articles
    Blog Entries

When I was in Shanghai a few months ago I saw these paintings at an exhibition that reminded me of Pete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    That reminds me of a book I've read, The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden.

Where do you draw your inspiration from, Pete?
    My inspiration? Whoop! BBC's Earth documentaries always give me loads of inspiration. Especially ones with crazy plants and animals. Music does a lot (Arcade Fire, Lost in the Trees), and it might sound crazy but the sun does too. Anything can look absolutely amazing with the right light shining on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post
    When I was in Shanghai a few months ago I saw these paintings at an exhibition that reminded me of Pete.
    That looks like an awesome painting! What's the name of the artist?

Merry christmas! A brand new wintery painting for this special occasion.

Snowscape.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

holy trout talk about winter wonderland
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Sooooo I decided to give oil painting a try. As a kid I used to watch Bob Ross' show (still do actually... guilty of watching full seasons :0) so I did some research on his technique and gave it a shot. Here are the first two results. The first one being pretty much entirely like Bob does, the second one being a little more experimental, especially in colour. I'm going to make some more today and see if I can develop this into something more personal flavoured. Any tips and advice on oil paint are very welcome!

IMG_0952_2.jpgIMG_0954_2.jpgIMG_0961_2.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That second one is lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Sooooo I decided to give oil painting a try. As a kid I used to watch Bob Ross' show (still do actually... guilty of watching full seasons :0) so I did some research on his technique and gave it a shot. Here are the first two results. The first one being pretty much entirely like Bob does, the second one being a little more experimental, especially in colour. I'm going to make some more today and see if I can develop this into something more personal flavoured. Any tips and advice on oil paint are very welcome!
    Gosh.. I used to use oil paints when I took art lessons.. But that was many years ago.. I remember almost nothing of them other than using Linseed Oil and the other clear liquidy thing. lmao

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dude, those paintings are pretty amazing. I want to do some of that myself someday. I just need to get around to actually doing it. I did an oil painting back in high school during art class, and I believe I still have it with me. It used to be hung, but it's not. I think I need to fix that.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Thanks everyone!

I got some Linseed Oil today noxious, it works way better to clean brushes mid-painting than the chemical spirit I was using before.

It's never too late Proto! As Bob Ross says; anyone can do it. Be sure to let me know when it happens ok? And do you have a picture of the old oil painting? I'm curious

Here a new one I did today:

IMG_0962_2.jpg

I like oil for it's bright colours, but man the mess is a hassle to clean up. Anyone got any tips for getting all of the colour out of a brush? The remains of old paintings can really mean a bad start for a new one

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's never too late Proto! As Bob Ross says; anyone can do it. Be sure to let me know when it happens ok? And do you have a picture of the old oil painting? I'm curious
    I know! I love to watch Bob Ross whenever I get the chance. As for the old oil painting, here you go: Field Scenery

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    I know! I love to watch Bob Ross whenever I get the chance. As for the old oil painting, here you go: Field Scenery
    Not too shabby Proto, very peaceful, colourful, and I like the composition too! I hope you get started on new works rather sooner than later : )

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Those are some quite nice paintings.

My mum is an oil painter and she uses white spirit to get the paint out of brushes and clean her hands.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Fantastic! Those landscapes are incredible. The colours in the winter picture are particularly beautiful, great job Pete!

Thanks everyone! Glad my investments seem to be worthwhile, this oil stuff is pretty expensive. It's a lot of fun though, and I've been experimenting loads. Here's 4 new ones! Pick your favourite or critique them please, as I'd like to know what I could improve so I can really learn how to use these oil paints

ColdWildForest_800.jpg

FirePeaks_E_800.jpg

StoneArcFields_800.jpg

IcefloePeaks_800.jpg

Been busy with a lot of things, and for a long while painting wasn't one of them. I found the time to make two new ones (still experimenting with the oil paints) and my first international exhibit of sorts has come true! It's a local café close to where I temporarily live in Canada.

Alpine1_800.jpg Alpine2_800.jpg

Also spacing out with the colours more. I had a blast making these new ones.

MinersPlateau_800.jpg WilderedBridge_800.jpg