Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Criticize this game!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    What else would they equip? Katanas?

I mean, Atticus Finch was a lawyer, and he could shoot any mothersmurfer he wanted.
    Books.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fair point there. I mean, I imagine tossing a copy of say...Atlas Shrugged at someone is sure to do some damage.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

True, but can you imagine carrying out 99 copies of Atlas Shrugged? The Knights' armor would be light in comparison.

It's the Ninjas who have to lug around the copies to throw, the Mediators would just brain people with them (much as they do in FFTA2).

"I am a Ninja. I walk unseen. None know who I am, for none can see me. To them, I'm just a bookshelf."
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The combat isn't as polished, interface-wise as I am used to from more recent SRPGs that I played before trying FFT, so it feels really awkward to play it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Only issue is in which it's grind heavy. I don't even have an issue with the grinding part, as most games have grind, but the manner in which it's done. I don't care for the monsters leveling with you. The battles where you fight the same level monster should reward much higher xp and jp than it currently does, and slowly lower the amount the more you out level that battle field or something. Other than that, it's a great game.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

But if the monsters don't level up with you wouldn't that only make it feasible to play the last map you just went to in order to level? In a game that has combat as it's meat and potatoes it seems like that would narrow the scope quite a bit.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Charge time..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Contributions

Yeah, I think Charge time was on of the biggest flaws in the battle system. Not that it existed (I liked that a lot) but the fact that as the game went on and character speeds increased spells constantly took 'longer' to cast, completely changing the game balance.

Long time since I played any of the games and I don't know which specific game you guys are talking about but here I go anyways. FFT, the light story was just ugh, I mean, I liked it and all, but I like almost anything I play. Not particularly inspired or epic. The soundtrack was tolerable and on theme with the light setting, but no masterpiece. None of the characters were memorable. I generally liked the gameplay, but I agree with all who say that leveling outside of the main story made the story too easy once go got back to it. I don't any suggestions on fixing that.

I'll say pretty much the same thing for FFTA2. Once you reach a certain level everything is dull and no challenge left. Online mode would greatly have helped this games out, I still hope some day it happens.

WofL I liked the story, but disliked much everything else.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was pretty damn easy, especially when you got Calculator. At that point you could destroy an entire map with one character without having to move a square.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by LFC View Post
    Long time since I played any of the games and I don't know which specific game you guys are talking about but here I go anyways. FFT, the light story was just ugh, I mean, I liked it and all, but I like almost anything I play. Not particularly inspired or epic. The soundtrack was tolerable and on theme with the light setting, but no masterpiece. None of the characters were memorable. I generally liked the gameplay, but I agree with all who say that leveling outside of the main story made the story too easy once go got back to it. I don't any suggestions on fixing that.

I'll say pretty much the same thing for FFTA2. Once you reach a certain level everything is dull and no challenge left. Online mode would greatly have helped this games out, I still hope some day it happens.

WofL I liked the story, but disliked much everything else.
    FFT and WotL are the same games.

Contributions

From the context I'm guessing the first FFT is a typo that means to read FFTA.

FFT is incredibly good in almost every aspect. The gameplay, the art, the character and class design, the story, the plot, etc.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to other games to define its shortcomings. Yes, it could have had a lot more sidequests, hidden characters, branching plots, and challenges like Tactics Ogre: LUCT, but I think FFT felt properly balanced in length and engagement.

The writing (dialogue) in the original is pretty bad and obscures some of the finer points of the drama, but the updated text in WotL is really amazing. I was blown away when I played WotL, and it definitely moved FFT to the top of the list of my favorite Final Fantasy games. (Except for that damn lag during skills.)

The only complaint I can think of was that there were a few ways to hijack the job system into making battles too easy. Some characters were just overpowered, and yeah, if you grind too much, the challenge basically disappears and the battles become easy and repetitive. Oh, and needing to teach Ramza certain skills in order to not get stuck at a certain part is just broken game design, I think. They should have fixed that somehow in WotL. Maybe had a warning before the dungeon like they do before the Hanging Gardens in LUCT.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I have an issue with the storyline of the game sidelining characters after they join your party. The remake does address this somewhat in the form of sidequests, but...
    I believe in the power of humanity.