Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Planescape: Torment

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Let's Talk About Planescape: Torment

Why haven't more people played this masterpiece? Why hasn't this game been mentioned as one of the single greatest accomplishments of the medium?

Let's talk about this gem of a game.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

>no replies so far

1354206379222.jpg

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What can change the nature of a man?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Never really saw any reason to try it

Infinity Engine ftw

"I'm gone"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Never really saw any reason to try it
    I am saying this right now. Try it. This game is living proof of video games being art and any gamer wanting to be able to stand up and defend the medium as a true art form should be required to experience this.

It is one of my favorite games, a true masterpiece of fine art.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm trolling, I do want to get to this eventually.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Endure, and in enduring grow strong.

Eh, it's overrated. Planescape is a nice concept that really starts to break down upon analysis. It's a fun setting to use, but has so many flaws that it's hard to take seriously.

And c'mon, an RPG where you can't die? What sort of ridiculous idea is that?[/troll]

Ok, serious opinion. Haven't played Torment, but it's on my list. I do feel that Planescspe is a flawed setting, due mostly to the metaphysical nature and how it handles the various deities that inhabit it. But it's interesting, creative, incredibly deep, and tries to handle religion and morality well, so I can definitely work with it.

The concept of Torment intrigued me since I heard of it, but I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet. Too many other things in line first.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't get it either. It is an incredible game and the fact that so many people have never played it is just criminal! I feel it deserves an HD remake for the younger gamers to experience This game also has one of my favorite casts in WRPGs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I don't get it either. It is an incredible game and the fact that so many people have never played it is just criminal! I feel it deserves an HD remake for the younger gamers to experience This game also has one of my favorite casts in WRPGs.
    I like you. You are one of the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Ok, serious opinion. Haven't played Torment, but it's on my list. I do feel that Planescspe is a flawed setting, due mostly to the metaphysical nature and how it handles the various deities that inhabit it. But it's interesting, creative, incredibly deep, and tries to handle religion and morality well, so I can definitely work with it.

The concept of Torment intrigued me since I heard of it, but I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet. Too many other things in line first.
    Do keep in mind that the Planescape setting was more or less *the* dungeons and dragons setting through second and third editions. You didn't bump up against it unless you did a lot of planar travel, but any time the fluff needed a 'grand scale of the cosmos' explanation for something, they used planescape.

And on topic, this is easily my fourth favorite game ever, right behind the Chrono series. (Chrono Trigger in first, Radical Dreamers in second, Chrono Cross in third.)
    Sig under construction.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm still having trouble chugging through it.

On the one hand, the story fascinates me. Absolutely.

On the other hand, I only play it every now and again, in small bursts. I've been tackling it like a novel. As a result, the clunky quest mechanics really get in the way of me enjoying the story. My quest log says "Find Pharrod" and gives very little else, and checking through my journal log only reveals small glints as to where I should go. Exploring the world often reveals unique characters but since I've left the mortuary I've had very little momentum aside from these small interactions that usually appear to have no implications on the plot.

Does it just start slow? I think I've been in the first city for like 2-3 hours and it's made it hard for me to feel compelled to re-launch the game. Especially since the last time I did I had to re-load a save after realizing I had missed something and the whole game crashed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not heavy on the action, I'll tell you that. But keep going. I promise you, it's worth it.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    It's not heavy on the action, I'll tell you that. But keep going. I promise you, it's worth it.
    I didn't really expect that, I just had hoped for more momentum. It's been a very stop-go-stop-go experience so far. Maybe I'm just less patient these days, but I used to play the older Fallout games in a similar way (more talky, less fighty) and never seemed to have too much issue with feeling like I was hitting a brick wall frequently.