Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hulk (2003) - Retrospective

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The Hulk portrayed in The Avengers, and the actor who played him, was by far better than the 2008 or the 2003 movie.

I use to respect you man.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Seriously, what is wrong with Ruffalo in The Avengers? He's a good actor and does very well in the role.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I really liked the Hulk and Ruffalo in The Avengers. Neo's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Seriously, what is wrong with Ruffalo in The Avengers? He's a good actor and does very well in the role.
    Honestly my problems with him was more to do with the writing then the actor himself.

He just seemed constantly bitter and snarky, which was quite a contrast to the Banner portrayed in The Incredible Hulk movie. It didn't even feel like the same character anymore.

And that bothered me, because I loved his portrayal in The Incredible Hulk. This Banner I really had no reason to get behind him. I will say him and Stark had some fun bits together though.

Of course that is the problem with the Banner/Hulk character, there's been three films and three different portrayals of him, so the whole thing has come across as somewhat uneven - I imagine Joss Whedon decided to scrap what had gone before and take the 'guy is bitter from having to live with what he is' approach. Plus he's snarky in The Avengers because he's a character in a Joss Whedon script. But as with all of Whedon's tendencies, that won't appeal to everyone.

Just blame Ed Norton and the film studio for getting into an argument in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Of course that is the problem with the Banner/Hulk character, there's been three films and three different portrayals of him, so the whole thing has come across as somewhat uneven - I imagine Joss Whedon decided to scrap what had gone before and take the 'guy is bitter from having to live with what he is' approach. Plus he's snarky in The Avengers because he's a character in a Joss Whedon script. But as with all of Whedon's tendencies, that won't appeal to everyone.

Just blame Ed Norton and the film studio for getting into an argument in the first place.
    I've read only a little bit on it, and it doesn't really seem like there was an argument, just that they decided Norton wasn't really a good choice for the Roll in the movie. Hell, as far as Norton seems concerned, or his agent for that matter, there was no hard feelings on any part of this.

The only issue that seemed taken was Nortans agent having a problem with the statement marvel released to the public about why banner was Recast.

So really, it sounds like the casting director, or maybe Whedon's, fault for the new banner, not Norton's.

Worst smurfing part about Banner in The Avengers was how he just flatly says he tried to kill himself then when they're kinda gawking at him he elaborates in one or maybe two sentences.

Overall I get the feeling they were going for dramatic and shocking but they achieved absolute apathy and disinterest. It was a stupid, unnecessary and forgettable little scene that did nothing except drive home how little I cared for Banner in this incarnation.

Also, regardless, Ed Norton is an amazing actor. It's kind of hard to follow up after a guy like that.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The second I saw Jennifer Connelly in the 2003 version of Hulk, I knew the melodrama was going to be cranked up to 11.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Hulk sucked. I saw it on my birthday too. Worst birthday ever.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Don't be Lightning'ing it up in here. This is a good topic.

I will admit, upon some reflection, that Ruffalo (the actor who played Bruce in The Avengers) was probably the most convincing at portraying a nerdy scientist. Norton just played himself and while they tried vaguely to make Bana seem like a dork, it just didn't work.

For obvious reasons.

Now we mustn't forget the '03 Hulk had that Elfman Magic working for it.
    Danny Elfman:"The Hulk"(2003)-Main Theme - YouTube

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Get out of here, Neo. Mark Ruffalo is the best Bruce Banner.

The first 25 seconds of this gives me chills and I love it

"I'm always angry" was the worst smurfing line in that entire movie.

You're digging yourself deeper and deeper here!