Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hulk (2003) - Retrospective

To escape this overwhelming wrongness I'd gladdy dig myself a hole so deep that I could hand myself over to Satan to escape it.

Seriously, that was such a god awfully cheesy line.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

*shakes fist* Want to slate 'he's adopted' or Agent Coulson while you're at it?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

That line was smurfing funny, and Coulson was arguably the best moment in that movie.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's a joke, right?

What line are you reffering to? The Fact I think that the adopted line is funny, or that the coulson moment was a great moment in that movie?

I say great moment in that it was very well done. Not that I was happy Coulson got shanked.

Coulson was the man. I hear he's getting hsi own movie now or something. He deserves it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Agent Coulson is the principal in the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon. Don't really like the cartoon but I thought that was amusing.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    He just seemed constantly bitter and snarky, which was quite a contrast to the Banner portrayed in The Incredible Hulk movie. It didn't even feel like the same character anymore.
    So I've never seen an incarnation of Banner who was quite snarky, but I've never seen one who wasn't bitter or depressed in some way.

I was not impressed with the casting of Eric Bana as Banner (casting as Nemo on Star Trek as well). I agree with an earlier statement that Edward Norton portrayed himself rather than Banner (which I didn't actually hate). Frankly, I agree with the statement most people tend to make about the character of Banner. He doesn't matter. You can cast anyone as him. No one's really paying any attention to him. They just want to see him turn green.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I'm actually more a fan of banner himself then the Hulk.

I'm actually teetering more in that direction myself. I didn't care for him much in the old tv series but then I didn't really watch. I've never read the comics either. The recent movies have been the first time I actually started to pay attention to the character of Banner. I've never really been a fan of the Hulk in general. I like the alter-egos though: Grey Hulk, Maestro, War (Hulk), etc.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

And now, a bit more detail on why banner from "The Incredible Hulk" is the best one.

This is the only one that I think got it right with Banner, in that it's the only one I didn't want him to turn into Hulk. The whole point of the character is he doesn't want to turn into this raging monster, it's something he either wants to get rid of, or control (Something you see him doing at the end of Incredible Hulk, a great moment completely dropped for Avengers). When he is in those moments of high stress, I want him to be able to keep a level head and stay as banner.

In Avengers? I didn't give two smurfs if he stayed as Banner. I just wanted Hulk to smash. Don't get me wrong, it was great when Hulk smashed in The Inredible Hulk, and you knew he was going to change, but there was still that part of me that could sympathize with him and wished him to succeed in his en-devours. A Banner you want to turn into Hulk is a failure as Banner.

In the end, even if it was Ed Norton being cast to play himself (And I disagree that he didn't come off as a smart guy. He did, I just don't think he was at all stereotypical about it. ;P) he still has the advantage of being far more sympathetic then Ruffalo.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I find Ruffalo a lot more sympathetic than Norton to be honest, Norton is a good actor but always has a bit of a 'smarm' factor about him. He's the sort of person who works best as a smartarse character. Though I say that and he actually worked well in Moonrise Kingdom doing the complete opposite role. Regardless I think Ruffalo had the best balance of being a little dorky with the intimidating factor just beneath the surface.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"