Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PS3 surpasses Xbox 360 Worldwide!

Default PS3 surpasses Xbox 360 Worldwide!

The days has come PS fanboys!
    Report: PS3 Surpasses Xbox 360

The Xbox 360 has been ahead of PlayStation 3 in the global sales race since the first day the PS3 was released in 2006. But according to a new forecast report summarized by Games Industry International, the PlayStation 3 has officially taken the lead in units shipped.

Tucked within, according to Games Industry International, are console numbers for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as of December, 2012. “Sony’s PS3 managed to surpass the number of Xbox 360s shipped worldwide (about 77 million vs. 76 million), despite the PS3 launching a year later.”

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Just think if they kept backwards compatability and didn't cause all sorts of hell and hoops to jump through for publishers to provide DLC and other content those figures would probably have been a lot higher. This generation of consoles is what caused me to ultimately come out of it as a PC gamer. Barring a stellar line up of launch titles and a PSN re-envisioned from the ground-up Sony won't be getting a day one purchase from me in the next generation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cheers for victory!

Seriously, though, this would have been good news if it had come out in 2007. You couldn't go to a forum, a website, or a game store without hearing EVERYBODY talk about how the PS3 is a failure and Sony is doomed because they're in third place and they failed. It was a dark time when gamers weren't talking about features, functionality, or exclusives, instead they were discussing financial figures and business strategies. Fortunately this died down eventually, but who cares anymore? The 360 is a great console and I think everyone should be glad that there's another legitimate option out there for dedicated gamers.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as Aulayna. The industry just wasn't able to keep producing the kinds of games I play on console, namely JRPGs. I'm more of a handheld gamer than I've ever been and after getting a new laptop last summer, I game almost exclusively on Steam. Now is a better time than ever to get into PC gaming; Decent machines are cheaper than a PS3 and they're practically giving away AAA games for free. I'm probably going to hold off getting into the next gen for a while, and at this point I can't say how long.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Suck it 360 owners! The system I own has sold slightly more copies than the system you own. By owning a system that a greater number of other people also own, I am superior to you in some way!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't forget the e-peen.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Oh man now I get to do what Bolivar has done the last few years and deny it, break down into a ball and start crying. IT'S NOT TRUE OH GOD NO THE 360 IS STILL THE BEST!!!

Fair enough, really. You have to give credit to Microsoft for staving off the inevitable for six years. Still is kind of shocking that the PS2 juggernaut was followed up with such a huge loss of market share. Roll on the next generation though. I have no brand loyalty to either and will just get whatever my friends have.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Awkward that it's right at the end of the console generation, though! That's like becoming the fastest 100M sprinter shortly after they cut the event from the Olympics.

As Psy said, the real shocker is that this wasn't the news as soon as the PS3 came out, due to the shoddy choices made by Sony.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I come in a thread saying:

The 360 is a great console and I think everyone should be glad that there's another legitimate option out there for dedicated gamers.
    Only to get hit with:

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Oh man now I get to do what Bolivar has done the last few years and deny it, break down into a ball and start crying. IT'S NOT TRUE OH GOD NO THE 360 IS STILL THE BEST!!!
    I hope you realize how unintentionally ironic your post is.

Articles

Oh, sorry, I stopped reading your posts in 2008.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Everyone must be buying the PS3 to make sure they can play FF14 when it comes out!
    FOA

Oh okay, that's pretty cool. I've never bothered getting myself involved in this fanboy business and just purely focused on enjoying the gaming, no matter which console it's on.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm honestly surprised they managed to claw this back, I thought MS had too much of a lead. I'd say congrats but as has been pointed out this shouldn't have been a problem after the PS1 and 2.

just get whatever my friends have.
    Chlamydia?

Articles

smurf no. Gonorrhea has better exclusives.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Why, because I said a few times that the PS3 has more features and exclusives? I don't remember that ever being controversial, and I certainly wasn't the only one on this forum saying those things. I still thought it was a good console, and my posts haven't changed.

And neither have yours. You're still singling me out and getting defensive before anyone actually says anything.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Why, because I said a few times that the PS3 has more features and exclusives? I don't remember that ever being controversial, and I certainly wasn't the only one on this forum saying those things. I still thought it was a good console, and my posts haven't changed.

And neither have yours. You're still singling me out and getting defensive before anyone actually says anything.
    Sometimes you just need to accept that you're being trolled Bolivar. Actually, odds are if Psy posts at all he is trolling anyone and everyone simultaneously.