can you hear me in the void?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It still forced me to pay attention in combat which I respect and I actually did like how VIII worked out the concept of a Gunblade. The initial concept out of context sounds silly, but I really felt the design team did a good job of making it an interesting and original weapon. Besides its no sillier than Paint Brushes, gambling cards, Combs, Megaphones and whatever the hell Rinoa's weapon is.
    It's a pinwheel.
    That launches from her wrist like a Boomerang. Granted its better than whatever the hell Vanille is using.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Triple Triad and everything you could do to get and modify cards. I loved that aspect of this game so much.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

It still forced me to pay attention in combat which I respect and I actually did like how VIII worked out the concept of a Gunblade. The initial concept out of context sounds silly, but I really felt the design team did a good job of making it an interesting and original weapon. Besides its no sillier than Paint Brushes, gambling cards, Combs, Megaphones and whatever the hell Rinoa's weapon is.
    It's a pinwheel.
    That launches from her wrist like a Boomerang. Granted its better than whatever the hell Vanille is using.
    Vanille's weapon is more akin to a fishing rod I think, and is alot better than that pinwheel wrist thing that Rinoa seems to have. Surprised she hasn't cut her hand off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    What's wrong with the gunblade?
    Other then they slapped a pistol grip into what is essentially a vibrating blade?

Something that in no way what so ever serves a purpose of any kind, and is demonstrably less efficient then using a normal sword handle?

Did I miss anything?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually the grip is not a pistols, it looks like one but ultimately its designed to be more of a sword.

Squall_gunblade_by_SE.jpg

Balance would still be off but its not like the game doesn't mention its a difficult weapon to master. Granted Seifer's version of the weapon is pretty unrealistic...

Seifer_gunblade_by_SE.jpg

...Yeah, it's still a stupid and nonsensical design. That is an aweful way to grip a weapon that one is meant to swing. The problem is, difficult to master or not, that is capable of doing nothing one could not do with a sword.

Not to mention the silliness of actually loading it with bullets. Mind you, it's less goofy the a smurfing blitzball or fishing rod as a weapon, but dumb none the less.

It's a weapon that reaks of trying to hard to be cool.

But hey, I can at least appreciate the way it's limit break works, even if I don't really care for it myself. :P

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's a pinwheel.
    Vanille uses the bondage staff.

I'm telling you guys, Seifer is the man. He undergoes arguably more character development (well, regression but it's still changing) than any of the main party.

He has the most interesting motivation and personality.

His design is the best.

This game would have worked better if it was just Seifer, Fujin and Raijin.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I could argue with you about everything else you said, but I will concede that the game might have worked better with just Seifer, Fujin and Raijin. But I think that's maybe just because the other characters were so bad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I think that if at the time you beat Ultimecia at the time you defeat Adel and then went on to fight Seifer (perhaps not Fujin and Raijin at the end, though, as I like how they weren't inherintly evil but more so were just faithful to their friend) it would have been great. It would be like Lord of the Rings book spoilersSauron & Saruman - just because Sauron is gone doesn't mean his corruption on Saruman is gone. It would be great if they did that with Seifer - have him corrupted by the sorceresses but perhaps unlike Saruman, have him become a global threat as the new leader of Galbadia (equivalent of Mordor). Perhaps near the end Fujin and Raijin could abandon him because he has become too evil even for his closest friends, just to add to a bit of story. Finally, upon being defeated, perhaps there would be a way to remove the corruption from him and have him actually live on beyond the final boss battle. That would certainly play things out differently to most Final Fantasys and would have made for a much better and more personal fight than that experienced between the party and Ultimecia.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I like the Gunblade and how it works in the game, it was a nice touch.
    ...The smurf is wrong with you?
    What the smurf is wrong with YOU ?

The Gunblade is amazing. 'Nuff said.

But I think that's maybe just because the other characters were so bad.
    No.
    Last edited by maybee; 01-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I like the Gunblade and how it works in the game, it was a nice touch.
    ...The smurf is wrong with you?
    What the smurf is wrong with YOU ?

The Gunblade is amazing. 'Nuff said.

But I think that's maybe just because the other characters were so bad.
    No.
    No.

what I like about this game

1- IMO is the FF that is most close to the reality. Of course you have magic and GFs but, the rest is pretty convincent.

2- monsters level up along with you. The game will be not too hard and not too easy. This is good and bad, but mostly good. (good because of the fun and bad because you get to lvl 100 way too easily)

3- I find the GF system great. You can put magic and boost your character the way you like, instead of having a pre estabilished status like in the other games.

4- amazing OST

The only thing I HATE about this game is that the magic is counted and you have to draw/produce it instead of learning it. For example, if I have 100 Full life and I put it in my HP status I can't use the magic that much, otherwise my HP will decrease.