Because I will need people to cheer me on to keep playing. Not because I don't like FFIII (its my favorite of the NES era) but because playing on my computer is not very comfortable for me. Anyway, I started this file last year during Depression Moon's playthrough so here's a breakdown of what's happened so far.

Final Fantasy III 201207182300463.GIF

My party is created! Inspired by Pitchfork's awesome retrospective of the series, I decided to name my party after some of my favorite musicians.

The leader is psychedelic genre creating former glam rock idol David Bowie.

Next is Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin cause everyone needs a rocking guitar.

Because its almost traditional for their to be at least one girl, I decided to choose one of the most ass kicking girls in 70s/80s rock, Joan Jett. She should easily be able to hold her own against the boys.

Finishing up the line-up is the lead singer of super awesome anthem rock gods Queen's Freddie Mercury.

Final Fantasy III 201207182305553.GIF

So my first foray into the NES version of FFIII has me pretty stunned. I've heard the game seriously pushed the NES to its limits but I often feel that screeshots don't do it any justice. You kinda have to experience the game to understand the hooplah. Its graphically on par with FFIV in many places and the music is gorgeous. The battle system is also a vast improvement over the previous titles simply because it introduced the ability to auto-target so if two character attack the same creature and character one slays it, unlike the first two games where the party will continue to target the empty space, in FFIII, your second character will auto target the next available monster making planning out your attacks feel like a total gamble and increasing efficiency.

Final Fantasy III 201207182306525.GIF

So I dropped into the cave, wandered about, leveled up a bit, picked up some Ice items and found myself in the final room.

Final Fantasy III 201207182307058.GIF

This boss hits pretty hard and you are very squishy, he's a surprisingly tough first boss if you were going to fight him fair. Instead I chuck my two ice items at him and knock him down a peg.

Final Fantasy III 201207182308380.GIF

Logo time!!! Simple but effective.

Final Fantasy III 201207182312537.GIF

So now I got my first set of jobs and I can explore the world!!!

Final Fantasy III 201207182312587.GIF

Job time!

Bowie often set the bar for sambiguity in both his sexuality and his musical stylings, he tends to want the whole shebang if you know what I mean so, the Red Mage's Jack of all Trade seemed like a good fit.

Plant is a guitar genius and anyone who listens to Kashmir could tell you that what Plant does with that guitar is magical, combined with his brief interest in the occult, I felt it was perfect for him to be a Black Mage.

Joan is not going to sit idly by and be the goddamn medic, she's an ass kicking lady so we're going to buck the "girls are always white mages" trend and make her a beefy warrior.

Freddie really loves showing off his skin and I can't think of a class that fits his fashion sense more than a burly monk, besides I bet Mr. Mercury could totally kick anyone's ass in a fist fight.

Final Fantasy III 201301130251390.png

Now to level up a bit before going to the cursed town of Kozus