Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest me a book/book series.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Your request reminded me of something.

I'm about to re-read Shogun. It's part of The Asian Saga. It might not be your style, but I like James Clavell. I haven't read all the books, but so far they're great. Really rich in story line and character.

The books are loosely linked, mostly by genealogy, as they take place over a span of 300 years. Still, they all follow the theme of a Europeans in Asia and the dynamic of the two cultures.

If you want something more light and fast to read, maybe Artemis Fowl. I haven't tried it, but have heard good things.

The Legend of the Seeker is a good series.

Midkemia series

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    It is probably the best fantasy series ever. And it's certainly the best satirical fantasy series ever.
    This always put me off. I find it hard reading satire. I can only read it in short bits for the most part.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    It is probably the best fantasy series ever. And it's certainly the best satirical fantasy series ever.
    This always put me off. I find it hard reading satire. I can only read it in short bits for the most part.
    Are you speaking of Discworld specifically or satire in general? Have you read Pratchett before? Discworld reads like no other satire I know. It's subtle, and it mixes the satire with fantasy elements like no other story or set of stories I've ever read, and I've read a lot. Many satirists sacrifice good storytelling to get at some point but Pratchett doesn't. He's fantasy's version of Oscar Wilde.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I have read a little Discworld, and it was entertaining but I got a bit bored of the satire. I think it just ruins the immersion for me, to some extent. I honestly don't remember what it was that I read, or what book it was. I just remember it being Discworld because of the hype a friend in high school gave it, and I just couldn't keep myself interested in it. I guess I like taking my books seriously.

Two books I did read all the way through are The Soddit and Bored of the Rings, one which was alright and the other which was utter crap. I suspect Discworld would be better than both, but that's not enough to make me want to read the books.

I might like some other books out there like that Wheel of Time series, perhaps. Most of the books I read in the fantasy and sci-fi genre were lesser known ones, I suppose, but I've yet to come across anything that captures my favoured style better than Barclay's books (Raven/Elves ones, not Shout for the Newborn which was way too political for my tastes despite being a lovely idea for a book) or the world-immersion I got out of Tolkien's books.

EDIT: I also liked the Darksword trilogy but I didn't like the ending.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Anyone looking for a new series in fantasy should really take a look at The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson (who finished the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died). The first book (The Way of Kings) came out in 2010. Due to the last book of the Wheel of Time getting delayed, the second book will be out later this year. It's planned as a ten-book series, so it's a bit of an investment starting now, but Sanderson also seems to put out books a lot faster than certain other authors in the fantasy genre.

I cannot in good conscience recommend The Wheel of Time to anyone despite enjoying it. The ending was satisfying, but hardly worth justifying telling someone to jump into a fourteen-book series which often becomes a very long, slow slog through the muck before getting good again.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Preferably start with the Second Chronicles - it's the best of the three.

Also, if you're looking for a good long historical novel, I got a lot out of Hawaii by Michener, tho it's not my usual fare.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

I'm about to re-read Shogun. It's part of The Asian Saga. It might not be your style, but I like James Clavell. I haven't read all the books, but so far they're great. Really rich in story line and character.
    This man has taste.

Smile and Be happy :love: louby_4eva's Avatar

Two others have already said it, but seriously consider anything by Brandon Sanderson. The Mistborn trilogy is a fantastic read!

Ian Irvine has some similar books out, the three worlds series, consisting of 11 books so far but with at least one more planned. I can't sell this guy's work enough, he's amazing.

For something a little different you could try Suzanne McLeod's Spellcrackers series. It's still a fantasy book, but has magic and vampires in as well.

They may not be to your taste but certainly worth a read

Quote Originally Posted by louby_4eva View Post

For something a little different you could try Suzanne McLeod's Spellcrackers series. It's still a fantasy book, but has magic and vampires in as well.

Vampires need to die...

Smile and Be happy :love: louby_4eva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post

Vampires need to die...

These are more Buffy vampires than Twilight....and Buffy vampires are actually really cool!!

These are more Buffy vampires than Twilight....and Buffy vampires are actually really cool!!

Oh, guess it's not as bad then....vampires don't need to be romantic

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like how boobs asked for historical fiction or romance, and every single person here mentions a fantasy/sci-fi book in their post. Oh EoFF, we sure have a type.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I like how boobs asked for historical fiction or romance, and every single person here mentions a fantasy/sci-fi book in their post. Oh EoFF, we sure have a type.

The books are loosely linked, mostly by genealogy, as they take place over a span of 300 years. Still, they all follow the theme of a Europeans in Asia and the dynamic of the two cultures.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Legend of the Seeker is a good series.
    I didn't say only mentioned fantasy/sci-if.