Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Cast Deserves a Better Game

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default This Cast Deserves a Better Game

The game got the inter-character dynamics right, and could've been very strong in a better entry in the series.

In all honesty, I wish they'd do a FFXIII 2.0 because the game had loads of potential as both an emotional piece and a game.

So, discuss. Is it disappointing that this cast could've really shined in a better game?

To be honest, and I don't know if this is just because the game is just a huge load or if it the characters themselves, but none of the characters are memorable to me. They're all the same things we've seen before, and I was hard pressed to really care about any of these characters' stories. :/

Could the have shined in a better game? Of course. But the characters themselves were never enough to save this game.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Some of them, sure, but the whole cast? No way. I wish I could have enjoyed the game more, but the characters weren't so great that I regretted them being in it or wanted to see them in another context. To be fair, I tend to intertwine my feelings about a game and its characters.

Cast deserves a better game? Nah, imo not really. I believe they all fitted the mediocrity just fine.

The monster design deserved a better game. The background art deserved better level design. That's about it.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 01-17-2013 at 09:02 AM.

No. No they don't. The cast in this was kind of troutty.

It's odd, they have really good character development, while not being very good characters.

Hope, for example, had a really good arc. The problem with it? Well first you have to assume he is an idiot, as he saw Snow try to save his mother, and wants revenge because Snow had failed too. And Hope himself shows little variance in emotions, and what he shows gets annoying relatively fast.

I really liked Snow's arc, and how he was portrayed. The problem is Snow is a raging moron.

This pretty much permiates the entire Cast with the exception of Sahz, who does deserve a better game then this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ultimately, that's the point I'm trying to make.

The characters were well-developed with interesting and unique arcs that, with a better writing team, could have been something special. It's not a case of so much that the characters were good, but rather that they had a lot of potential.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Lightning is hot.
    So all the new games where I can use her are welcome..

Oh yeah, I can also picture Sahz with his own FPS game a la "Dirge of Cerberus".
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I LOVE the characters, I do agree with you.

The others have a point though. Writing can make ALL the difference. And while some of the writing was pretty good and the Story Arcs amazing, some of it was god awful.

So, I agree. To some extent. Glad someone thinks this to, cause, to be honest, I want a remake as well.

"One does not simply choose between Black and White magic."
    Awesome picture courtesy of Lockharted. Thank you!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

While I wasn't a fan of all the characters, I agree that if FFXIII did one thing right, it was character development in the first 8 or so chapters. Of course, that was ruined later by awful, awful plot development.

Yes and no.

Some characters like Fang need something better while characters like Snow need to be deleted from history.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I don't get the hate with Snow. I just want to pull his hat off and ruffle his hair.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The best thing that can be said for Snow is that he has a great theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I don't get the hate with Snow. I just want to pull his hat off and ruffle his hair.
    Snow's the man. People only hate him because he's banging Serah.

Feng was the worst character. She came in way too late and did far too little to matter to me.

Snow is annoying with his " Seeearaaaah " and " I'm the best hero that has ever graced the planet " talk. No wonder Lightning smacked him one.

He's talk and no show.

I do love his VA though

You don't remember when he saved Hope's life then, even with broken ribs, carried Hope on his back? That's the stuff heroes are made of.

Seriously, it was a quite effective series of cutscenes.

I also quite enjoyed the scene where he dispersed the crowd, playing the part of the monstrous l'Cie, so that there were no civilian casualties.