Thread: Is this game worth playing?

Default Is this game worth playing?

Greetings, friends!
    I have to be honest with you guys. When I first saw the trailer for XIII-2 all I thought about was "Square Enix just wanna earn some bucks by continuing the story in whatever way". I just think that opening a freakin' hole in the ground just after the ending of the first game showed that they wanted another game at all costs. But, since there are people who played this game (and might have loved it), answer this: Am I wrong? is this really worth buying? (I have a ps3 so I'll have to buy the game)

yes, it is worth it, great story, great battle system, Moogle Time is a good alternative to stationary fiends of the first one, giving you Random Battles with a chance of getting a Pre-emptive attack if you strike before the timer runs out and the fiends fully materalize, though i still dont like random battles all that much Moogle Time makes it fun...
    and no, it wasnt just a cash grab, they said from the beginning that FF XIII was gonna be a grand epic spanning several games...

I didn't like the story that much, but it is by no means bad, it just doesn't feel like a real continuation to XIII.

Other than that, everything is superb, an improvement over XIII's sad gameplay.

"One does not simply choose between Black and White magic."
    Awesome picture courtesy of Lockharted. Thank you!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The story is extremely awful and barely even manages to hold itself together. It's so bad and full of plot holes, inconsistencies and retcons that it's a miracle it doesn't cause the game disc to physically disintegrate. The story was so bad that it nearly made me feel physically ill, and I'm not even kidding about that last part there. On top of that, it ends the game at a gigantic cliffhanger and doesn't give any real closure to the game's story.

However, the music is awesome, the locales are cool, the characters are good (even if they happen to be set in a terrible story), the gameplay is great, and there is a lot of stuff to do in the game.

I absolutely regret paying full price for this game, but nowadays you can get it for like 10 bucks and I would say it is worth that much. The game will be more enjoyable the less you care about the story in it. It took me a while to get over how bad it was, but I eventually did get over it. I'm actually in the process if platinuming the game now, after 9 months of not wanting to even look at the game cover.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mage Coffman View Post
    I didn't like the story that much, but it is by no means bad, it just doesn't feel like a real continuation to XIII.

Other than that, everything is superb, an improvement over XIII's sad gameplay.
    Yes, it is more like a completely new chapter but that is no wonder. They needed to begin a new life on Gran=Pulse.

I tell you, get Final Fantasy XIII-2. I love it.

"It's so bad and full of plot holes, inconsistencies and retcons"

Except it isn't and just not understood, like Final Fantasy VII and others by many in this forum and everywhere else.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-07-2013 at 08:14 PM.

just as I expected, some people love and hate it I might give it a try after I play and get my platinum on Metal Gear Solid HD collection (I recommend this game, really awesome)

I just wish they had finished FF versus XIII instead of this, that game looks d*mn awesome

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

This game was much better than XIII in just about everyway. Story aside it just shows what XIII could've potentially been.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Now they just need to make a game that has the best from both worlds. Can you do it, SE? I have my doubts, but please prove me wrong.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

It is worth playing, but only if you played FFXIII, because it doesn't make sense to play it because it is a direct sequel to FFXIII and you can't experience full enjoyment when let's say half of the game is first game, so that's like you are playing a game and you don't know what are you playing, but you know what, but again you know that's not what you want to experience. I'm talking about the story of course. If you just want to have fun and play the game, FFXIII-2 is worth of playing.