Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Why The Compliation Sucks

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Let's Talk About Why The Compliation Sucks

Like, seriously.

Where to begin? Crisis Core was pretty good, Dirge of Cerberus blows, Advent Children had some really cool fight scenes but the story was god awful (this coming from a hardcore FFVII fan), aaaaaand never played Before Crisis. Oh and Last Order was one Mad House's better productions (if we're including it).

the only Compilation related problem i have is with Dirge of Cerberus, in the cutscenes Vincent does all kinds of awesome acrobatic maneuvers, but when it gets to actual gameplay due to invisible walls he cant even jump over a 2 foot railing... another possible problem for me is the U.S. never got Before Crisis... other than that the original game was awesome, Advent Children Complete is possibly one of the best stories animated so far by SE and Crisis Core was one of the best games to be released on PSP...
    id venture to say that most people that didnt like the compilation are the ones that assumed Cloud was this happy quirky personality despite the fact that everyone you meet in Midgar says otherwise, and the compilation shows he was never like that but closer to how Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge describe him early game; cold, withdrawn, introverted...
    maybe for me the Compilation is easier to take cause i didnt make Cloud something he wasnt, i played him to the personality given by the other characters in the game and that stayed consistant throughout the compilation...

All of the characters felt out of place. Crisis Core was decent/ OK-ish though. But Cloud didn't really feel like " Cloud " and Tifa didn't really feel like " Tifa " and etc etc etc.

Also the stories were really poor. AC basically really didn't really have a story and DOC's story was really blehh.

Crisis Core is obscenely overrated. Nomura injected his fanfiction into the perfect Nibelheim Incident and tarnished it forever.

Advent Children had a really sexy Cloud. Like, dayum. I'd sleep with every boy in that movie. Well, the pretty ones.
    I hate the movie because Square released some BS in side material that said Cloud and Sephiroth were dueling for hours. How juvenile.

Dirge of Cerberus has a loli with lightsabers. I can dig it. Lucrecia meanwhile is one of the worst written characters ever in a Square game.

They all have pretty good music.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

AC is largely a snuff film for VII fans who just wanted to see a realistic 3D Cloud fight his realistic 3D counterpart Sephiroth but the story is terrible and the whole thing feels like pandering to the lowest denominator.

Crisis Core is a terrible story and mostly feels like a Gackt FFVII fanfiction.

I've yet to bring myself to play Dirge of Cerberus...

Before Crisis plot is just retarded.

Last Order... Is not so bad, outside of Mako eyes Cloud its not as bad as the rest and at least follows the original games plot. It still has some serious wire-fu hi-jinx but whatever...

Squenix's smartest business move in the 2000s was to stop making titles for the Compilation.

I will give AC this. Rufus was freakin' awesome.

I will still always love the line "A good son would have known". He is so delightfully Dickish.

But yeah, other then that the movies garbage.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Wait, so Dirge of Cerberus wasn't a comedy? I thought it was intentional!

You all just don't appreciate how cute Kadaj was.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The only part of the Compilation I've seen/played is AC. I have Dirge of Cerebus somewhere, but never got around to playing it (probably for the best).

I agree with WK on Advent Children. AC was some flashy graphics and cool scenes and yes, there was Sephiroth. But that's all that can be said for it. The story was borderline nonsensical and there was almost nothing in the way of character development; hell, the non-Cloud and Tifa characters only really had cameos.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Beeblebabe's lie subtitles for AC are 100,000x better than the real thing.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree with that. AC's existence is justified by those subtitles.

Dono wayor taking abot.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Crisis Core is obscenely overrated. Nomura injected his fanfiction into the perfect Nibelheim Incident and tarnished it forever.

Advent Children had a really sexy Cloud. Like, dayum. I'd sleep with every boy in that movie. Well, the pretty ones.
    I hate the movie because Square released some BS in side material that said Cloud and Sephiroth were dueling for hours. How juvenile.

Dirge of Cerberus has a loli with lightsabers. I can dig it. Lucrecia meanwhile is one of the worst written characters ever in a Square game.

They all have pretty good music.
    Crisis Core, despite being an absolute piece of junk when it comes to gameplay (I'm looking at you, completely random summon system and time freezeing attacks in a real-time game), had one thing it did really well. The characters from FFVII were really, really well portrayed. Zack, Aeris, Sephiroth, Tseng are, for the first half of the game (until Zack gets his emo-hair and throws his personality away), awesome. We actually get to see what Sephiroth the hero was like, and we get to see the great relationship between Zack and Aeris. Even Cloud's pretty good, especially compared to the rest of the Compilation.

But the story, and every character they added, is complete and total crap.

Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus both had pathetic plots in addition to completely misunderstanding Cloud's personality. For that matter, they screwed him up in Kingdom Hearts as well.

The Compilation sucks because it features overcomplicated, nonsensical plots, and frequently gets the main characters and themes from the original game wrong.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.