Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Seriously, I read the news article about it a few hours before I saw this thread.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Jim Carrey And Adam Sandler Reportedly Eyed For Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy [with] Molly Shannon as Wayne’s wife Wanda, David Spade as the Invisible Man, Cee-Lo Green as Murray the Mummy, and Jon Lovitz as the evil chef Quasimodo.

[for example - most of it is completely non-existent, from the suit's ability to fly to the arc reactor that powers the whole thing. But while we may never get to see a fully-functional Iron Man suit in our lifetimes, at the very least fans can make their own tech inspired by the superhero.]

Godzilla
    Recently had the chance to sit down with the filmmaker (along with Being Human star Sam Witwer and poster artist Drew Struzan) and took the opportunity to pry a little about Darabon's latest project.

Beginning on the subject of Godzilla's subtext and origin, the writer/director noted that original movies featured Godzilla as a metaphor for the atomic bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, while in the later one's "he became Clifford the Big Red Dog." With his script, however, the context and tone will be changing again. "What we're trying to do with the new movie is not have it camp, not have it be campy," Darabont told the site. "We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film. We want this to be a terrifying force of nature. And what was really cool, for me, is there was a very compelling human drama that I got to weave into it. It's not that cliched, thinly disguised romance or bromance, or whatever. It's different, it's a different set of circumstances than you're used to seeing. And that's tremendously exciting as a writer when you're asked to do something else."

He also confirmed that the new movie will take on an allegorical meaning, but didn't want "to give it away." But for those of you afraid that the film will try and beat you over the head with a social message, leave your concerns behind. "I love leaving a few crumbs on the table for the audience to determine what they think," Darabont explained. "Let them bring something to it as well. That's why a movie like The Green Mile is so satisfying or why The Mist is so satisfying to me. Because it stirs their participation and they have interpretation. I've heard metaphors that people apply to Shawshank Redemption, for example, that are fantastic that I never, ever would have thought of."

Cloud Atlas
    Whether you loved or loathed Cloud Atlas, you have to admit it was an admirably ambitious endeavor. Here at Cinema Blend we largely adored Wachowski Starship's adaptation of David Mitchell's thought-provoking novel, but the wider critic community was less enthused. Worse yet, audiences weren't drawn in, so the massively budgeted sci-fi epic is depending on foreign markets to get it back in the black. With its globe trotting and time jumping plotlines that speak of reincarnation, love and the fight against tyranny, perhaps Cloud Atlas would have been better served as trilogy. (Hey, it's working for The Hobbit.)

At least, that's what a clever trailer from Justin Fields suggests. On his Facebook page, Fields confesses that Cloud Atlas delivered his favorite trailer of the year. You know, the one that clocked in at nearly six minutes, thrilled fans of the book and left everyone else more confused than ever? Well, Fields decided to pay homage to that unconventional trailer by cutting in scenes from his favorite movie trilogy, Back to the Future. The results are surprisingly fitting and decidedly funny. Check it out below: From teasing Marty and Doc's bromance into more of an outright romance, to turning rock and roll into the titular sextet, and making Back to the Future Part III look newly enticing, Fields has a lot of fun with both movies in a way that somehow doesn't come off as mocking. Now let's see if anyone will be so daring as to flop it, cutting video from Cloud Atlas to a Back to the Future trailer. Remember, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

Grown Ups 2
    Hail, hail, the Grown Ups gang’s all here. Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock and the rest of the crew are hard at work on a sequel to the immensely successful comedy. Grown Ups 2 will be in theaters this summer, with original director Dennis Dugan (Jack & Jill, You Don’t Mess with the Zohan) back behind the lens. Sony Pictures starts to rev up the publicity machine with a shot of the cast in mid-laugh. Can a trailer be far behind? Here’s the shot. Click here for a larger copy.

Do you have any idea how much the first Grown Ups movie made? Do you? Whatever your guess, it’s probably low. The comedy made $162 million domestically, and a grand total of $271 million worldwide. It’s currently Adam Sandler’s second-highest-grossing comedy behind Big Daddy, and was the 15th-highest-grossing film of 2010. A sequel was unavoidable.

This time out, Sandler and his wife (played by Salma Hayek, of course) move the family back to Sandler’s home town, where the clan learns some valuable life lessons from the children on the last day of school. And David Spade likely gets raped by a farm animal, or some such hilarity. I want to make fun of Grown Ups, and Sandler, but the dude understands his audience, and people respond. I’ll never forget riding on a cross-country flight where Grown Ups was the in-flight movie. I didn’t pay attention, partly because I’d seen it but mostly because it’s forgettable. But my plane was in stitches. I’d never heard an entire plane of passengers chortle simultaneously as low-brow gags. They’ll be in line when Grown Ups 2 storms theaters on July 12, opening opposite Pacific Rim. Don’t be shocked if Sandler and crew win the weekend box office.

Hotel Transylvania
    What can you expect from Sony Pictures Animation’s Hotel Transylvania? Candy eyeballs, gummy worm-topped cakes and fogging drinks, of course! Okay, you probably shouldn’t have your hopes up for all of that, but come September 28th, Hotel Transylvania should offer up all the fun you’d hope for in a comedy packed with animated versions of your favorite mythical monsters.

However, it’s not September 28th just yet, so in an effort to get us in the Hotel Transylvania spirit, just like in the movie, the folks behind the film planned a 118th birthday party for Mavis, Dracula’s daughter and the character voiced by Selena Gomez. There were party hats, appropriately themed treats, the opportunity to take a photo with Dracula’s hotel in the backdrop and more. As much fun as the party portion of the event was, it was easy to leave behind as a sneak peek of the film awaited us in the theater.

Producer Michelle Murdocca was on hand to introduce us to Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of the TV shows Dexter’s Laboratory, Sym-Bionic Titan and Samurai Jack, and now the director of Hotel Transylvania. Tartakovsky showed off his star-studded voice cast, which includes Adam Sandler as Dracula, Gomez as Mavis, Andy Samberg as Jonathan, Kevin James as Frankenstein, Fran Drescher as his wife Eunice, Steve Buscemi as Wayne the werewolf. Working in television, Tartakovsky is used to recording his entire voice cast simultaneously and while he didn’t have that luxury the entire time on Hotel Transylvania, he did make that a priority as often as he could. “We actually got to do a few sessions and for one of our first sessions we had Kevin James, Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Molly Shannon, David Spade and it was great.” Tartakovsky continued, “Everybody playing off each other, adlibbing, and it brought this great energy.”

Tartakovsky describes the film as having “a broad comedy tone with a strong emotional heart.” Of course something like that would arise through the script, but it’s also heavily connected to the style of animation. Tartakovsky set out to take the traditional principles of feature animation and push them in a way to end up with something notably expressive and caricatured using strong silhouettes and very lively faces.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    stuff
    Damn, it's even larger than I thought it was.

[q]Beginning on the subject of Godzilla's subtext and origin, the writer/director noted that original movies featured Godzilla as a metaphor for the atomic bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, while in the later one's "he became Clifford the Big Red Dog."[/q]

wat
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Since it doesn't appear that anybody has posted the relevant link yet, I saw this in my Facebook feed a few hours ago.

Inconceivable!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I'm calling it right now: TotY 2013 right here folks.
    I like Kung-Fu.