Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your "role" in gaming

Tactician might be the right word.

In on-line FPS I'm all about the objectives. For example, I always carry smoke grenades when I play CoD with my roommate and I can easily resist chasing enemies I don't need to kill if that means getting to the objective quicker.

In RPG's stuff gets varied. I plan a lot nonetheless, and I tend to be melee based because it usually just feels more intense than a back-row mage. It heavily depends on the kind of RPG, but mostly I stop and think up a strategy rather than a trial and error or grindy approach.

Support class.

MMO's-DD
    shooters-sniper
    Rpg- tend to stay sniper, if not assassin

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Whenever I play games with Mr Shauna or my friends, we all tend to fall into distinct roles in game.

I'm tend to play tank. I'll be the one attacking head on, in the middle of a throng of enemies. It was once said to me during a game of L4D2 that they could tell where I was because it was just a mass of zombies. Melee and short-range weapons (and a lot of support because oh god I die/down all the time due to massive lack of skill) are all I need.

Mr Shauna prefers long-range combat - using snipers or magic, for example - keeping out of the danger zone.

What about you guys? Find yourself playing a certain "role" in games?
    This is the same for Danielle and myself - I end up being the tank/brawler/charger, she ends up being the mage/archer/sniper. Almost every time! I enjoy it that way, though, it works well for us. When it comes to crafts, she goes for weaving/leatherworking, I go for blacksmith/armourer. It's kind of a natural thing for us to know what the other person will do, and do the opposite so we're well balanced. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I'm not exactly a squishy catgirl whitemage in real life . ...
    *Sigh*

Another dream shattered.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm good at pretending to be one, though.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You'll find me where the fighting is thickest, stemming the tide.

Blog Entries

I generally play some sort of offensive support. Which is why I make a good Guardian in GW2!

Seeing all of this makes me want to play something like prefect world again, but I would like to get all of us on it. This may end up being a different thread in my head for later

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I definitely tend to pick ranged when it's available. I don't enjoy being within close range of things that hurt! Other than that I generally lean towards sneak/rogue builds and like to favour speed/agility over strength. On the mental side I tend to favour charisma and diplomacy.

It's often fun to change it up, though. Can't be too predictable!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    In MMORPG's, I'm the Evasion Tank. The Duelist, the Dancer, the Artist. I have to be up front and close to my opponent in these games. Tanking is the only real role for me. DPS and Heals are too impersonal, you lose touch with the combat in large scale fights. As a tank, everything else vanishes. There's no support, no other players. There's just the foe and me. It's close, personal, visceral. The beauty and artistry of combat. The flow from one move into another, striking with precision while dodging with grace.

In Shooters, I'm a Sniper. I am the merciless efficiency. There is no chivalry, there is no fairness. There's just me and the gap between my rifle and the head of my foe. One shot, one kill. Preferably from a mile away.
    I hate anyone who uses a sniper rifle in FPS. Stop camping and play the damn game

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    In MMORPG's, I'm the Evasion Tank. The Duelist, the Dancer, the Artist. I have to be up front and close to my opponent in these games. Tanking is the only real role for me. DPS and Heals are too impersonal, you lose touch with the combat in large scale fights. As a tank, everything else vanishes. There's no support, no other players. There's just the foe and me. It's close, personal, visceral. The beauty and artistry of combat. The flow from one move into another, striking with precision while dodging with grace.

In Shooters, I'm a Sniper. I am the merciless efficiency. There is no chivalry, there is no fairness. There's just me and the gap between my rifle and the head of my foe. One shot, one kill. Preferably from a mile away.
    I hate anyone who uses a sniper rifle in FPS. Stop camping and play the damn game
    If I played PvP, you'd be allowed to be mad at me. But I don't.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Stop being a sitting duck B)
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I LOVE getting into sniper duels, whether back in the day in Team Fortress Classic or twenty minutes from now in Black Ops II.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Agreed when it's PvP. I think they should only allow people to be snipers if they severely restrict the available ammunition for snipers. If they can respawn with ammunition, restrict it even further.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!