Thread: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, don't use the EU. It's its own thing.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Abrams is hit and miss from what I've seen of his output but he has potential nevertheless. I wonder if this means he'll bring in his trusty Michael Giacchino as composer to expand on the musical tapestry which John Williams created; as long as Giacchino follows the template he used for John Carter and actually uses someone who doesn't make the sound mix too dry, it should be okay. On the one hand it'd be awesome if Williams could (and wanted to) return to score the new trilogy simply to have musical continuity between the films (depends on how many old characters and locations will be returning, but the SW theme and the Force theme are a given, at least), but on the other hand it seems more plausible that with a new director comes a new musical direction. I just hope that whoever ends up as a composer will respect the source material and actually expand on it without totally discarding almost everything that came before (which pretty much happened in the Harry Potter film series whenever they changed composers).

As for story continuity, the modus operandi of SW films, novels and Expanded Universe is that everything is canon, the level of what can be considered greater canon varies. Still, according to Pablo Hidalgo, even things like the Star Wars Holiday Special are still part of the overall lore, and guys like Hidalgo (who are paid for what they do) find ways to make even the sillier stories mesh in well and establish a proper timeline for events. Whatever story Ep7 ends up using (and if they're not following any EU material), it's going to be very interesting to see how the movie's new continuity will be linked to already existing EU events if that's even going to be possible. So far Hidalgo and co have pulled off pretty amazing feats as far as fitting all stories together are concerned, but this time things might not be resolved so easily.

And then there's also going to be the issue of the overarching storyline. As George Lucas stated, the story of Star Wars has always been about the trials and tribulations of the Skywalker family, particularly Anakin's fall and redemption arc. With Anakin/Vader and the Emperor gone by Episode 7, much of the emotional drama is lost and new foundations are required. I wonder who'll become the new villain for the heroes to face while keeping it in line with what's been shown before. And hopefully Boba Fett will make a return; that'd certainly please many fans but I dunno how well Temuera Morrison would handle him.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

This just in, JJ Abrams set to direct next Indiana Jones, James Bond, Pixar movies, as well as Avengers 3, March of the Penguins 2, Batman Begins Again, The next Alien movie, the inevitable Silmarillion trilogy and the next trilogy of Avatar.

He will also find time to create 4 new TV shows and consult on 7 others.

Does this man sleep?

Take care all.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Rumors floating around that the other films Disney has mentioned outside of the new trilogy will be character-specific spin-offs, starting with Yoda. I'm not linking any sources since I haven't really found anything more concrete than rumor.

While I'm not sure that Yoda can hold a movie on his own (although being several hundred years old certainly allows for flexibility), the idea itself isn't too bad, especially if it lets us stray from Jedi-centric narratives. There's a lot of possibility in the idea. A Boba Fett movie beginning with him blasting his way out of a Sarlac? A young Han Solo starting his career as a smuggler? There's a lot of ground to cover in the Star Wars universe and plenty of interesting places to go.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hopefully this means we will see a Chewbacca movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Hopefully this means we will see a Chewbacca movie.
    But what if it tragically ends with his death. Han - NOOOOOOOOOOO

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Strike Chewie down and he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Han - "Chewie? CHEWIE!"

Chewie - "Arrgggh, RAR-RARARGARARR." translation for non-Wookie-speakers "I never told you this, but I can touch the force."

Han - "What? Chewie, you've lost a lot of blood.."

Chewie - "RArRARGAhRArgH." * "I know that Han, but I'm telling the truth. Luke confirmed it. Said Yoda came to him in a dream, said there is another. And he's a Wookie yo."

Han - "But, but..."

Chewie - *"Strike me down and I'll come back more pow-" *dies*

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Rumors floating around that the other films Disney has mentioned outside of the new trilogy will be character-specific spin-offs, starting with Yoda. I'm not linking any sources since I haven't really found anything more concrete than rumor.

While I'm not sure that Yoda can hold a movie on his own (although being several hundred years old certainly allows for flexibility), the idea itself isn't too bad, especially if it lets us stray from Jedi-centric narratives. There's a lot of possibility in the idea. A Boba Fett movie beginning with him blasting his way out of a Sarlac? A young Han Solo starting his career as a smuggler? There's a lot of ground to cover in the Star Wars universe and plenty of interesting places to go.
    I read something a while back where Lucas said if he were to make another Star Wars film it would focus on Yoda during... I think the Stark hyperspace war.

Sith Wars? That doesn't seem right.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would watch the trout out of a Chewie movie. If it was about his death though I'd punch every single employee at that theater.

:monster:

Why not punch the mothersmurfers who made it instead? And while you're at it throw in a punch for everyone responsible for (SPOILER)his death in the EU as well.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not sure that Yoda can hold a movie on his own
    Yoda: "Have faith, you do not..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm not sure that Yoda can hold a movie on his own
    Yoda: "Have faith, you do not..."
    "A film for me, I do not want. A Windu film be, a better jaunt."

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Why not punch the mothersmurfers who made it instead? And while you're at it throw in a punch for everyone responsible for (SPOILER)his death in the EU as well.
    Because they'd already be in the vicinity. I don't have time to track down some nerds and filmmakers.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    "A film for me, I do not want. A Windu film be, a better jaunt."
    I like how you went from Yoda to pirate.