Thread: Persona 3, P3P, or P4?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wouldn't go that far. Chrono Trigger has more than 6 areas you ever visit.

The 3D models are nice, but I doubt I'd like it a lot more if the game was fundamentally the same. It probably just isn't the series for me.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    P3P was my first Persona game and couldn't get through it. It was too boring and honestly caused me to question the taste of some of the members here who love this series so much. I could have picked the wrong game, or it could just be me. So you should probably go with one of the console versions (assuming those are better).
    I say this, only because you sound a lot Like how Spoony Felt during P3 (Only in terms of how you felt about the game mind you. ) and he felt P4 as massively the better game.

If you felt the story or plot dragged on a lot in Persona 3, the plot structure and pacing is a lot different in P4. Because in honesty, there's very few point in P3's plot that actually move the main plot itself forward, where as P3 is more symbolic in nature rather then having things actually happen.

I love both myself, but I wouldn't let a slow paced plot of 3 detract from wanting to play 4.

Edit: Also, the world exploration in both games is centered in the towns you are in. It isn't much, but there was a small bit I think would be lost from cutting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Chrono Trigger has more than 6 areas you ever visit.

The 3D models are nice, but I doubt I'd like it a lot more if the game was fundamentally the same. It probably just isn't the series for me.
    Different games have differing strengths. Persona 3's atmosphere and characters are incredible, even if it's not big on exploration.

Persona 4 (and especially P4Golden, which adds in a couple extra areas) handle that aspect a little better, and give you some non-dungeon quests to shake things up a bit, but exploration is not the focal point of the game, except in dungeons.

Everything takes place in one town, yes. But that town changes as you go through it. It's not like most other RPGs where characters say one thing and repeat that line to infinity. Random NPCs gradually rotate dialogue over the course of a few weeks (rarely more than two change in one day), and reflect the thoughts and mood of the town.

By the time the story is drawing to a close in Persona 3, the town feels very, very different than it did when you started, and it's one of the things that I really, really love about the game. I can't say more without spoilers, though.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.