View Poll Results: What Difficulty Level Do You Most Often Use?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Easy - "Like a smooth, gentle breeze"

0 0%
  • Easy - "Like a pleasant, warm draft"

1 5.56%
  • Medium - "Like a stiff gust of wind"

15 83.33%
  • Hard - "Like a strong, fierce gale"

2 11.11%
  • Very Hard - "It's a bloody tornado"

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difficulty Levels

Whether difficulty levels work or not is very subject to the actual gameplay.

Some examples:
    Metal Gear Solid 3 is a stealth action survivor game. Playing on normal is fun; a good mix between all elements allow excellent pacing. However, the harder modes throw these off balance. For some reasons the guards acquire super eyesight, forcing you to slowly crawl through every area, completely disrupting the pace and feel. I don't feel like a smooth spy anymore. I felt more like a snail.

HAWX has a ridiculously flawed hard mode. What I expect in a combat flight game is improved enemy skill when I up the difficulty level. Instead, they change nothing about the AI and just cut down half your ammo and equipment. The "hard part" is that the player can get stuck without ammo somewhere halfway through a mission, but this is for the wrong reason. It should not be because of a number being cut, but because of enemies better dodging.

Going back to MGS3, a cut on ammo and available equipment works very well in harder difficulties because of the survival part of the game. Ran out of ammo? Throw a snake to poison guards. Battery for your radar ran out? Good luck finding another one. That should be the extra challenge, not a snail-impersonation contest.

I like games best when they have 1 difficulty level that is delicately curved out so even returners still get challenged, (coughDark Soulscough) but some games (like SSX3) fail horribly in this.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends on the game, Minecraft for example, when playing in the survival mode I'm generally speaking going to be on Hard difficulty this just means mobs track you further, hit harder and you get less use out of tools before they break.

In FPS games I play through on normal and then once I've completed that I go through on the hardest settings. I do this because it's a real challenge and with games like Call of Duty titles or Halo titles where the main campaign can be completed in under 5 hours it adds a lot of longevity to the single player experience.

Games like Fallout 3? I tend to have the difficulty relatively high because it cuts down the amount of ammo you acquire from enemies which is fun because in a play through I started with one character I ended up with thousands and thousands of rounds for guns that would hardly ever break (Xuan Xuan Assault Rifle - 2000+ rounds and easily repaired by Chinese Assault Rifles of which I had around a hundred in a locker in my house at Nuke Town) That being said Death Claws if you're not properly equipped are a devastating foe on any difficulty. That being said a dart gun and an assault rifle with a healthy supply of ammo are all you need for taking down any number of them. One dart will cripple the legs of the beast and walking backwards pumping ammo in to the torso and head will finish them off in no time. Conversely I prefer to have difficulty in Morrowind/Oblivion to be normal - easier than normal because I suck in those so much more.

Driving games are the one where I always no matter how little I've played the game crank the settings to the hardest. If I'm going to play driving games I want to be challenged as much as possible, this is because I am fairly ridiculous in terms of skill on most driving games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Normal usually gives me the "purest" experience, as I find it the most accurate representation of the developer's vision.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mate, you were rubbish on Burnout: Paradise.

Depends, if i've never played a game like it before usually I'll choose easy so I can know what the game is like before trying on normal...I practically never play on hard.