Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: Pokemon White Version (NDS)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    The main disappointment with Black/White for me were the pokemon designs. Definitely. I didn't love them. At all. While I found IV to have lovely designs (compared to the mediocre Gen.III designs) they took a step backwards unfortunately.
    I have a very unpopular opinion about which Pokemon designs are good. Basically, I like anything except the Gen III and Gen IV designs. The only Gen IV designs I could stand were the Pokemon who got second evolutions by trading (such as Rhydon > Rhyperior and Magmar > Magmortar). Other than that.....
    Wow, that is interesting. I also feel gen IV has the weakest designs (along with gen I - sue me! ), but I also thought the new evolutions to pre-existing POkemon were the weakest, with most of the new ones being pretty decent.

Also, am I the only person around the Internet who thinks that there hasn't been a bad design for a starter yet? I love them all!

Blog Entries

Graphically, it was definitely a step forward, but rest still felt like all of the versions that came before it. The evolution process is way too slow, and I don't feel like they've pushed it far enough with this generation. I mean, the concepts are the same, it just looks prettier. Give os something that will blow us away! Thankfully, it looks as if this upcoming new generation will do just that!

Good review, though. Nicely written.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's not that the designs were *bad*, just that they were hardly mind-blowing or complemented the series. Gen V's starter designs were just lazy too.

In generation IV we had Chimchar -> Monferno -> Infernape which was a lovely Fire/Fighting monkey type thing.

In generation V we had Tepig -> Pignite -> Emboar which was...oh. Another Fire/Fighting, and looks slightly similar...

You then have Gen V's ice cream pokemon, a badly named pokemon called "Beheeyem", for goodness sake, and really, I just didn't feel it. My main gripe about Gen.III was really the legendaries, that adopted a very blocky look. Everything had sharp angles and looked like it was computer generated, not really natural.

I realise I'm probably the only person in the entire world who thinks this.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I loved Gen. III

Mudkip, Mightyena, Skitty, Milotic, Aggron, Kyogre, Latios...

What's not to love?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I loved Gen. III

Mudkip, Mightyena, Skitty, Milotic, Aggron, Kyogre, Latios...

What's not to love?
    I know.

I don't know what's not to love about any of the gens, actually. It sometimes feels like the Internet is just looking for hate fuel

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    It's not that the designs were *bad*, just that they were hardly mind-blowing or complemented the series. Gen V's starter designs were just lazy too.

In generation IV we had Chimchar -> Monferno -> Infernape which was a lovely Fire/Fighting monkey type thing.

In generation V we had Tepig -> Pignite -> Emboar which was...oh. Another Fire/Fighting, and looks slightly similar...

You then have Gen V's ice cream pokemon, a badly named pokemon called "Beheeyem", for goodness sake, and really, I just didn't feel it. My main gripe about Gen.III was really the legendaries, that adopted a very blocky look. Everything had sharp angles and looked like it was computer generated, not really natural.

I realise I'm probably the only person in the entire world who thinks this.
    You forgot about Blaziken in gen 3, it was the first fire fighting starter. Who may I add looks badass.
    We also have Swampert, quite the creative water/ground combination only prior found in quagsire.
    Then we have Sceptile who is just all kinds of awesome.

Those are just the starters, I can easily find more awesome 3rd gen pokemon if you want.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Different generations have themes for the new pokémon released as a whole. These themes are hinted at based on what the regional professors specializes in.
    Kanto was the first, and emphasizes working with pokémon and building relationships with them as trainers.
    Johto was baby pokémon and how pokémon grow. (eggs and some new ways to evolve pokémon.) Since Johto is an expansion on Kanto, they still share similar characteristics.
    Hoenn is the first big shift. The games have a theme of nature and natural habitats. Groudon is the land, Kyogre is the sea, and Rayquaza the Sky. because of the theme on nature, there are a ton of water pokémon here. Also it's the first not to have all pokémon from previous generations because it's not an extension of Johto and Kanto.
    Sinnoh is all about evolution. You can see this especially in Platinum where all the pokémon that get new evolutions are added to the regional pokédex.
    Unova is all about bringing together and opposites. You get new type combinations like Bug/Electric, Ground/Electric, Ghost/Ground, and Dark/Steel to name a few. Additionally you have the natural, mythical and manmade. You get things like Deerling, Pidove, Swanna, and Sandile for some natural examples. At the same time we get Hydreigon, Darumaka, Beheeyem are all mythical. And for manmade, Vanillite, Trubbish, and Klink all stand out. These different things come together to make one cohesive region.

And if you want a bigger Unova then play Black2/White2.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I forgot Gen III's Blaziken Fire/Fighting type.

So wait, that makes THREE generations in a row where the Fire Starter is the same type? Geez, how lazy.

As for the blocky, computer generated legendaries...

It looks alot less natural than other legendaries I've seen.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just want them to stop with the smurfing midi Pokémon sounds. I know for a fact that you lazy gits can give the Pokémon proper calls, but you don't bother.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They give the new ones beautiful cries. But it's hard to give the old ones new cries, because they make up part of their recognizability.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Psh, my arse they do! Nobody recognises Pokemon by their cries in the games, because the sounds they make are not their cries. They're just a relic of a 90s console.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    Psh, my arse they do! Nobody recognises Pokemon by their cries in the games, because the sounds they make are not their cries. They're just a relic of a 90s console.
    I do. And I largely prefer their in-game cries to what they sound like in the anime.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The cries are for effect I guess, and for the most part, they do a decent job. Some are just indecipherable and terrible though.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I do. And I largely prefer their in-game cries to what they sound like in the anime.
    I suppose we should go back to Gen 1 sprites too, huh?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I suppose we should go back to Gen 1 sprites too, huh?
    You say you'd really prefer "squirtle-squir" to his actual cry? I mean, I wouldn't mind if they remade them with a better synthethizer if they remain recognizable, but I seriously don;t want the anime voices in my game.