Thread: Random encounters are stupid

Grin Random encounters are stupid

Who came up with this idea anyway?
    I know they were very graphically limited back in the 80s, but random encounters are like a slap in the face everytime they happen.
    Seriously, if I am busy trying to solve a tricky puzzle the last thing I want is to be interrupted almost literally every minute in the midst of my train of thought, and if I don't want to fight then I will just attempt to escape from the battles anyway.
    I don't see the point in random encounters at all, this really could've been solved in a better way, like having enemies roaming the landscapes or something.
    They don't even need to be big, they could simply be character-sized sprites that let you know that they are monsters.
    Secret of Mana solved this the best way and is proof that even fairly old games can work fine with visible enemies in the overworld, and I believe it really should inspire other RPGs.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You need a completely different level design to make it possible to fight in the field. There are certain things that can't be made in levels if you want enemies to roam around. Additionally, it is much harder to program AI routines that can't be exploited by clever players utilizing the terrain to their advantage. It is much easier to keep track of this in a completely 2D grid game like secret of mana than it is in a real 3D game with 3D level design.

In short: It is extremely much more easy to program random encounters, as well as easier to design levels.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

And I like Random Encounters.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

*enters cave, takes one step forward*

A WILD ZUBAT APPEARS...

WILD ZUBAT USES CONFUSE RAY.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

That's confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You need a completely different level design to make it possible to fight in the field. There are certain things that can't be made in levels if you want enemies to roam around. Additionally, it is much harder to program AI routines that can't be exploited by clever players utilizing the terrain to their advantage. It is much easier to keep track of this in a completely 2D grid game like secret of mana than it is in a real 3D game with 3D level design.

In short: It is extremely much more easy to program random encounters, as well as easier to design levels.
    Well yeah I understand that, but in that case they should at least make it easier to flee from the battles, kind of like in FF4.
    It's my problem if I am too weak for a boss fight because I fled too often.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Random encounters = being ambushed by enemies and has nothing to do with graphic limitations and Secert of mana is an ARPG, if you want an example of visible encounters in an old game then here you one.

SD Snatcher (1990): MSX - SD Snatcher (HD) - File 05: Pier 17 - YouTube

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you're going to have more than one party member fight more than one monster, you're going to need to go to another screen. If not, you need to design your dungeons and world around having on-screen encounters and limiting what kinds of scenes your player can and can't explore with the danger of combat. So for that reason, I don't think it matters whether an on-screen opponent or a random check brings you to that battle screen.

Same thing with running. Either you're going to run around them on the field screen or you're going to run away from them on the battle screen. It doesn't really matter, although battle screen running allows the game to bring more RPG randomality to the equation.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

There were also visible encounter in FF Mystic Quest.

I don't really understand the complaints people have for random encounters.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I don't like random encounters because sometimes I just want to go to the next town. When you are back tracking and other things it becomes annoying.

That said, Chrono Trigger got it right. Enemies on the map, sometimes appear out of no where, enemy placement lead to different strategy due to area and line attacks, almost every encounter could be avoided and above all it was fast paced so as to not interrupt the flow too much (after battles stuff scrolled by lighting quick, no long battle transition, etc.).

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like random encounters because it adds an element of surprise, but games like DQ VII and IX put enemies on the field while still having an element of randomness.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum