View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ivalice Alliance

9 81.82%
  • Compilation of VII

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivalice Alliance vs. Compilation of VII

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo Ivalice Alliance vs. Compilation of VII

So which did you like better, what were your favorite games from each?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ivalice Allience by far. the titles support each other, not retcon like the Compilation. Tactics A2 is my favorite.

Well, on the one hand, the Compilation has all the sexy characters.

On the other hand, the Alliance has all the good plot.

It's hard to say.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ivalive Alliance. See, this group of games existing actually makes sense, because Ivalice is a huge, living, breathing world.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The games that actually have a logical reason for existing.

No poll? For shame.

Also, why not toss Fabula Nova Crystalis into it as well? Not that it would change anything, though.

Because, sorry, it's the Ivalice Alliance, hands down. And we all know it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think that both series have great beginnings and lose their focus as the series branched out. I prefer the feel of the Ivalice Alliance as it focuses on a much larger time frame and allows for more creativity rather than forcing all stories to take place within the same few generations.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    No poll? For shame.

Also, why not toss Fabula Nova Crystalis into it as well? Not that it would change anything, though.

Because, sorry, it's the Ivalice Alliance, hands down. And we all know it.
    Added a poll, and I didn't add FNC because while the games share similar mythologies, they are seperate games barring XIII's sequels.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Comp of FFVII only had FFVII as a strong entry. IA had Tactics and FFXII as strong entries, and the other games were also actually worth playing. Well, I guess Crisis Core was worth playing for the ending. That was some powerful trout.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm telling you guys, sexy men dressed all in leather.

The IA is sorely lacking in that and thus its victory is not absolute.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

There isn't an option for neither. Both are weak derivatives of their original titles.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

on the contrary IA did retcon some things, like for instance the existance of the Banga & Viera... in the original FFT and Vagrant Story there were never any races other than human, that i can remember, until FFTA...
    even though i love the IA the gameplay of most of its entries annoys the hell out of me, so this one goes to the Compilation... its only weak entry gameplaywise was DoC, whereas the weak entries for IA for me was FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, & Revenant Wings...
    anytime i put a Tactics game in and try to play it it becomes hours of frustration and a long string of expletives, i put in anything from FFVII and its bliss, im content and happy...

on a sidenote, wouldnt it be awesome if they continued the Riskbreaker Arc in the IA, i distinctly remember the commercials for Vagrant Story claiming it was the first in the RiskBreaker Saga...
    Last edited by Elly; 01-30-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

When I focus my thoughts on the strengths, I would say Compilation of VII is better.
    When I focus my thoughts on the weaknesses, I would say Ivalice Alliance is better.

Essentially, VII & Crisis Core were enjoyable games and VII is my favourite game of all time. On the flipside, Advent Children was (excluding the graphics) kind of rubbish and ruined some of my favourite characters. Before Crisis is something I'm unable to play and Dirge of Cerberus is something I've yet to play and have heard very mixed messages about from my friends, more negative than positive.

I've yet to play FFT (just bought it this weekend) or FFTA2. I've played FFTA and FFXII. I really liked both games but wouldn't put them on the same level as VII, although they do match Crisis Core.

If the games were comic book characters, Ivalice Alliance would be the original Uncanny X-Men (ie Cyclops, Angel, Beast, Iceman and Marvel Girl, all in their teens) and Compilation of VII would be Batman (VII), Alfred (Crisis Core), Robin (Advent Children), Batgirl (Dirge of Cerberus) and some other character who is in the wrong country and therefore can't get involved. Batman is incredible, Alfred is cool, Robin and Batgirl are meh and the other one is irrelevant. Meanwhile, the X-Men are pretty much always great. I'd back Batman to take on an individual X-Man, but even with Alfred's guidance, Robin and Batgirl just don't cut the mustard and as a group they'd probably lose to the fantastic teamwork of the X-Men.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    on the contrary IA did retcon some things, like for instance the existance of the Banga & Viera... in the original FFT and Vagrant Story there were never any races other than human, that i can remember, until FFTA...
    From what I remember, the existence of other races in the distant past of Ivalive was alluded to in Tactics. Thus, this is not a retcon.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not helped that in the Ivalice Timeline, FFTA2/FFXII/RW all take place close to a thousand years before FFT and VS. Both histories separated by the the Cataclysm mentioned in FFT's Discoveries. So that's plenty of time to wipe out a few races, especially since XII alludes to Humes being the largest and most dominate race. Hell, by VS time, magic itself is a rarity since the plot pretty much involves a group of powers fighting over one of the last great magical relics of history.