Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think FFVI's large playable cast helps or hinders the game?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moogle Do you think FFVI's large playable cast helps or hinders the game?

I know some people get overwhelmed with options and others have mentioned that the story could have been more concise had the game stuck to a smaller cast with larger focus, yet other people feel VI's large ensemble cast is what makes the game so great cause you have a better shot at liking at least someone and most of the cast is genuinely well liked by fans of the FF series. So where do you stand?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Helps. Multi party dungeons need to make a comeback!

Yes, I love the multiparty dungeons. <3

But it can work in a game like VI because of the nature of the story. Terra may be the catalyst, but it's not long before the fight really isn't about her anymore. Hell, once you escape from Figaro at the begining her role plot wise is to open the gates and talk to the Espers.

This is a story about people from all across the globe having a reason to fight the empire and uniting to do that. This is about the collective whole of those who fight The Empire and Kefka, so no character ever feels like they don't belong. In games like IV and IX, it is very clear who the main character is and that it is their story. There are people who join in with them yes, who have relevance to the plot or at least have real reason to follow (There is Amarant, who while I like him you could do without him and not see much difference. ). In those kind of stories there is no way you gain benefit from shoving more and more characters into the party.

It definitely helped. Some FF games with a smaller cast neglects some characters with regards to the story. In 6, for the most part, every character gets as much focus as each other.

And, for me, the large cast is what made the WoR and the final dungeon.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I liked it. While there are a lot of characters, each one has their own qualities that make them stand out. While I can't say I actually use all the characters or am a particular fan of multiparty dungeons, I can certainly appreciate them.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I'm a Suikoden fan, so take a wild stab at my stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Well, I'm a Suikoden fan, so take a wild stab at my stance.
    Not enough characters?

It did for sure. What helped is that they all had backstory and personality. VII had a large cast with backstory, but only Cloud was given a personality and you spent 3/4 of the game as schizo Cloud so you never really felt like you got to know any of them. VI gave you a personal relationship, almost, with most of the characters. The game damn near made me cry twice, at the Celes suicide scene and at the end where Shadow says "Baram, I can finally stop running." The large multiparty dungeons were tough for me at first because i only really leveld my main party at that time and put all my strong characters into one party. Overall, the large cast is what allows it to be such a great game. Definitely needs to come back once Square Enix realizes that offline > online when it comes to ff games
    Forward, the Light Brigade!'
    Was there a man dismay'd?
    Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
      Some one had blunder'd:
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
      Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
      Rode the six hundred.

This is pure opinion. What conclusion are you trying to draw from this? To meta-topic it's different people with different opinions. Since I have mine you know you can't please everyone.

Slight elaboration-you could have no characters to any number of characters. I doubt any one of us have a long enough natural life to flesh it all out.

Though to actually address the question any plan has its pluses and minuses. Having fewer characters means less time in their development and a chance to really know them. On the other hand with more people could mean more ideas.

There is no real answer besides preferring a number. Right now there's over 7 Billion people on Earth. Do I need to know them all?
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

But it can work in a game like VI because of the nature of the story. Terra may be the catalyst, but it's not long before the fight really isn't about her anymore. Hell, once you escape from Figaro at the begining her role plot wise is to open the gates and talk to the Espers.

This is a story about people from all across the globe having a reason to fight the empire and uniting to do that. This is about the collective whole of those who fight The Empire and Kefka, so no character ever feels like they don't belong.
    What reasons did Gau, Umaro, and Gogo have in it

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

This is a story about people from all across the globe having a reason to fight the empire and uniting to do that. This is about the collective whole of those who fight The Empire and Kefka, so no character ever feels like they don't belong.
    Gogo is just a silly side character and really is just an FF V referance.

Umaro is there for the sake of helping out his boss, Mog (At least I always got the impression that was a relationship that had been going on prior to you meating Umaro.)

Gau I admittedly don't have much for on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

I'll bite again but this tastes familiar.

Diversity. Gau is play the monster you've encountered character. If you go into the status screen you can give gogo any returner ability and/or magic/item. Umaro a pure brute for the sake of finalizing one.

But overall we've stuck with the game because it's pretty well-thought out for its time.
    Last edited by Greatermaximus; 03-04-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Clarify
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I thought that the large playable cast of Final Fantasy VI helped the game. I think that, with the exception of Umaro, Gogo, and Mog, that the characters held their own and had good story arcs.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

It helps.

Though I'll shave off Umaro and Gogo and replace them with somebody else.

Maybe Maria the Opera singer joins the party and she can mimic the crew as her powers, and Banon comes back in though he's injured and half insane from Kefka destroying the world so he's now a berserker type.

Just that Umaro and Gogo basically have no character whatsoever.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd agree with pretty much everyone that it would definitely help. Though, it does depend entirely on the characters that you are presented with. The majority of the cast in FFVI were top notch with (as stated above) a few notable exceptions.