Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squall: Great Protagonist, or snarky dip trout?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Greatermaximus View Post
    His personality is dull but he's good with gunblade. Maybe a little of both good and bad. If that's the case why debate it?
    I may rock your world here but the whole purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss things. The thing that's being discussed here is what your personal opinion of Squall as a character is - not whether or not your individual interpretation is right, wrong, or holds more water than the next persons interpretation.

In the beginning, I thought he was a goddamn asshat, but once I knew his background he became a lovable asshat. After a period of hurting and heartache, he defined himself only regarding Garden's matters, until he let himself open up again (yes, it took a crapload of time) which was quite a payoff.
    I liked his inner monologues by the way, I thought most of them were hilarious which wasn't what was intended, that made them that much funnier for me.

Well i never got ff8's battle system,

but by God the story was rather epic. Squall was actually a pretty awesome protagonist, also i liked Rinoa a lot. And don't even get me started on Quistis.

Attitude problems? Yes. But ever since I saw him just cutoff Ultimecia (literally) mid sentence at the end of his last encounter with her at the conclusion of Dissidia, I can never hate or dislike this kid. I was just so tired of hearing her talk.

I've never played FF8, I can't speak for his character/actions/attitude in that game.

Blog Entries

I loved Squall... When I was 14. XD

No for real though, I still dig him, but now that I'm older, I do see him more as the whiny annoying sap most people do.

I hated Squall when the game first came out. I thought he was a whiny baby. He seemed to take things too seriously and cry a lot. A big part of the reason I liked Final Fantasy IX so much was that Zidane was much more fun than Squall.

Now that I'm a more sensitive person, I think it'll be interesting to see what I think of Squall the next time I play through Final Fantasy VIII. I'm going to play it when the upgrade comes out.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I like Squall. His personality usually prompts the (imo) intended reaction throughout: at the start people think he's a whiny douche and/or that "cool" loner jackass, but then his past is explained a little more and you grow to understand why. He's not half bad, although his development could've been done a little better. Even I can't look past the troutty "omg you're unconscious so I love you and am way nicer underneath" thing. Rinoa only brought out the worst in Squall, I think.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

God. It's been a long time since I played Ff8. Well, here we go.

First of all. I feel like every one of the answers put forth so far gives the writers too much credit. You're all analyzing Squall as though he were a person, and not a character in a story. I think that's a mistake, and here's why.

I find Squall to be an egregiously badly written character. In point of fact, I find FF8 to be a stunningly badly written story.

I was a silent, antisocial 17 year old myself, and Squall comes across as a clumsy caricature of the reality I lived. His character develops in only the most ham-handed ways, quite literally changing at the drop of a hat. He starts as a Spock, cool and logical, unconcerned with feelings, including any sense of Nationalism. He merely executes his orders as efficiently as he can. There's actually nothing wrong with that; he's a soldier in a mercenary army, for crying out loud! I thought the other characters were pussies and airheads by comparison.

Then, of course, Galbadia Garden. I think this scene is a bunch of horse apples. Squall's sudden panic attack at the news of Seifer's execution comes out of NOWHERE, and I don't buy it for a second. He didn't like Seifer, and he's never had a problem with worrying about mortality before. He's been trained to kill from a very young age. This whole business of "Nobody's going to talk about me in the past tense!!" just doesn't play for me. It's forced and idiotic, and forgotten immediately.

A battle commander sometimes has to say things like:

"Mr. Data!! You are an officer on board this ship and I will require you to perform your duty!!"

~ Capt. Picard, Star Trek Generations
    The idea that a cold, emotionally distant man is unfit for command is something that the game is trying to cram down my throat, and I think it's balderdash.

Henry James said, "Life is hot, but art is cool."

The puppeteer cannot be out on the front row sobbing at the performance. He has to remain calm and collected, and make sure the strings don't get tangled.

I could go on for a long time about why the story in FF8 hits a sour note for me, but I'm satisfied that I've made my point, and by the way, I love the game itself, just not the story so much. I even have a habit of screaming "RENZOKUKEN!!" at the top of my lungs when I'm performing Squall's Limit Break.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Squall is the unfeeling, stoic badass because he is trying to be in order to cover up the fact he is so goddamn insecure courtesy of abandonment issues. He has this warped idea of what he should be, and struggles to maintain it. His rivalry with Seifer, while causing him grief, actually gives him something constant; he knows where he stands with Seifer.

The only real dramatic and unbelievable change of character happens when Rinoa is unconscious; there is no reason for him to become so in love with her. Him going nutters and trying to save her is fair enough because she is a friend and comrade and even a jerk would feel something, but then he's all emotional and trout and that just doesn't fit the self absorbed, fearful Squall that we know.

If you analyse any character enough you will find horrendous flaws. Any character, in any great work of art. Looking at them as people in a world is the point, as that's what they're meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    His rivalry with Seifer, while causing him grief, actually gives him something constant; he knows where he stands with Seifer.
    This would be a lot easier to accept if it were directly referenced at some point in the game. I don't believe it is. I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    The only real dramatic and unbelievable change of character happens when Rinoa is unconscious; there is no reason for him to become so in love with her.
    I agree, but I wonder if there's something we're not being told? Immediately prior to Rinoa's possession, Squall does something extremely unusual for him as a character, and actually leans on the fourth wall.

Everyone's trying to get us together. Even I can see it.
    Is there something in this expression in the original Japanese that doesn't come through in English, perhaps?

Food for thought.

I still think it's rather a Barbie-Doll romance story, but as in the "Is This Game Romantic?" thread, I suppose we should all remember that the main love story is not the only type nor example of love being examined by the narrative.
    Last edited by Spooniest; 08-02-2013 at 09:50 AM.

I wouldn't say he's necessarily either or. When I was a teenager, I felt more of a connection to Squall than I do now. I actually feel more connected to Zidane nowadays. But while some aspects of his story and personality feel tacked on by the writers, I do feel that there's a deep sense of longing hidden behind his character, emphasised by his past and the fact he just wanted Ellone back. The fact that she left and never came back obviously scarred him to the point where he felt that he HAD to take care of himself and never let anyone help. And I think that Rinoa and the others are trying to break that and get him to open up. Which they eventually do.

His evolution, while slightly rough, is fun to watch. Especially when he, unknowingly, calls his own father a moron on Disc 1. :P
    [You spit on mercy? Then you will have none! You want carnage?!]

[Garrosh will get more blood than EVER he bargained for!]

Quote Originally Posted by Synoptikal View Post
    Especially when he, unknowingly, calls his own father a moron on Disc 1. :P
    I've laughed at that quite a bit, as I've often remarked to my father, quite knowingly, I assure you, what a moron he is.

He's perfectly comfortable retorting with, "If I'm a moron, that makes you Son of Moron!!"

Ah, good times.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    This would be a lot easier to accept if it were directly referenced at some point in the game. I don't believe it is. I might be wrong.
    The term rival isn't used, but I mean, it's implied by the fact that they both wield gunblades and stand at odds through most of the game. Also, this, from the flashback scene (or whatever it is)

Quistis
    "I...remember. Yes, I remember now."
    "Things didn't work out at my new home."
    "So I came to Garden at the age of 10."
    "That was when I first noticed Seifer and Squall."
    "Seifer and Squall were always fighting."

Squall
    "Yeah...Quistis always used to break us up."

Quistis
    "Yes! That's right!"
    "Seifer was a kid who always needed to be the center of attention."
    "But Squall always used to ignore him..."
    "But eventually they would end up fighting."
    "Squall could have easily walked away from it, but always took up the challenge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    I agree, but I wonder if there's something we're not being told? Immediately prior to Rinoa's possession, Squall does something extremely unusual for him as a character, and actually leans on the fourth wall.

Everyone's trying to get us together. Even I can see it.
    Is there something in this expression in the original Japanese that doesn't come through in English, perhaps?

Food for thought.
    This is after the party, where the others play music especially for those two, and then shuffle them off to a secluded spot with a Playboy... I think that's pretty obvious.

That's not a fourth wall thing at all, no. Everyone IS trying to get them together. Even Rinoa. XD
    [You spit on mercy? Then you will have none! You want carnage?!]

[Garrosh will get more blood than EVER he bargained for!]

Blog Entries

Squall completely turned into a pile of jello after Rinoa got knocked out.

This is all making me wonder like the actual span of time during this game.

Like. You -just- met the chick and you couldn't stand her and now you're like "Rinoa! Come back to me! I need to hear your voice! I'll carry you to Esthar!"

Oh please.

I think I quite like Asshole Squall more than this one.

Also, -I- have no horrendous character flaws. Pick me apart. I'm quite perfect.