Thread: When all else fails...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default When all else fails...

...Reboot! No not the edgy Canadian sci-fi animated series but the actual process of taking a dried up cash cow,cloning it, dressing it up differently and milking it for all its worth.

My GF is fangirling over the new Devil May Cry reboot and I finally checked out the demo which turned out to be surprisingly better than I had thought it would be but it got me thinking, what other series really need a serious reboot?

Capcom tends to be pretty good with its reboots, so I would be selfish and ask for a Breath of Fire reboot cause its a damn fine series, and adding numbers to a title tends to throw off new fans so maybe that.

I'd also love to see Sega reboot Comix Zone cause I would be intrigued to see what a post-Scribblenauts world could do to the game concept.

Well you already did Breath of Fire, so that pretty much handles the big one.

I want to Say Lufia, though they already tried that recently. I say try again, but dammit it needs to no be an action RPG! And tell me who the smurf Arek is!

And we need Wild Arms.

And this is turning into the 'we need a sequal to this series it's been so long threads'. But smurf it. Reboot, Sequel, just give me the games I love.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd say Lufia needs a proper sequel but BoF and Wild ARMs could be easily rebooted.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Valkyria Chronicles team makes Shining Force IV.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    When all else fails...
    >>> Play Yugioh cards..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator

This game was ahead of its time. Great characters, wonderful atmosphere, full voice acting, an incredible world, and a strong story.

I'd love to revist Septerra in a reboot, even if the original game does hold up to this day.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Pokémon - For the love of God, just release the first game without the slow-ass movement speed, a revamped battle system, the ability to capture every single Pokémon without going to events and instead of adding new games for the next Pokémon, just make them expensive DLC that connects with the original game so you can keep one character across the various worlds - and more importantly, keep your Pokémon. If that makes it too easy when traveling from one zone to another, well, that's why you pay people to come up with solutions, isn't it? Use unlockable level caps, make all the new Pokémon stronger, whatever works. Just don't be so damned restrictive.

Jade Cocoon - Because Nintendo won't bloody do it, will they?

Road Rash - Why the hell are there no games these days where you race motorbikes and hit your opponents with chains!?

Destruction Derby - This is one of the most fun games I ever played back in the day and I don't know why it suddenly halted in popularity after the first game.

Resident Evil - Okay, maybe this is the most in need of a reboot. Please bring back the tension. Please bring back the horror. Please bring back the incredibly realistic amount of ammunition. Please stop trying to be Just Another Zombie FPS. I miss RE so much. Nothing was ever as good. I want my suspense and I don't want 100 enemies at once.

X-Men - I adore the X-Men but I can't remember the last time I played an X-Men game. I'm sure I enjoyed them when I played them, though, and I can't help but feel that there is great potential for a inFamous or Arkham City styled X-Men game. Particularly Arkham City, since it allows you to have multiple types of characters and so many different gadgets, the same kind of team could probably do wonders with the X-Men.

Crash Bandicoot - What can I say? I love me some Crash Bandicoot, I do!

Myst - Okay, maybe I really just need to play through these games at some point. I wonder how much it would cost Square-Enix to buy the rights to the game and redo the graphics on the Luminous engine?

Dune - Dune (the RPG) was great, Dune II (the RTS) was great, everything else was rubbish. I would actually be content if they just got dune II and updated it with some basic functions used in modern RTS. I don't care about graphics in my RTS, I think they're very irrelevant. But oh man, I loved me some Dune. Let's do this again sometime.

Duke Nukem - I mean, what could go wrong? >_>

Ecco the Dolphin / Spyro the Dragon - Surely they can do better with 3D environments now?

James Bond - Probably the game that would profit the most from a reboot, and by reboot I mean dropping the link to the film series. They seriously need to just get rid of that idea altogether and really do a reboot. If the films can do it by going back to early Bond, why can't the video games do it? I would adore a GoldenEye vs. Uncharted mix of gameplay combined with a story of Bond's early life / first missions. This could be a massive moneyspinner if they get a good team working on it. The problem is that the film industry is in love with their films too much to ever do this. Which is really, really sad. Films and games should always be seperate things.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

smurf X-Men, we need a Dr. Strange video game. Not that they will ever make one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Which one are you referring to? Because they basically just made one for the DC version.

...I'm refering to Dr. Strange.

As far as I know, there is only one. Dr. Strange.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, I have a habit of referring to Hugo Strange as 'Doctor Strange'.

EDIT: So it turns out he's more of a Professor Strange. I have learned something today!

Oh, I forgot about Hugo Strange.

Stephen Strange could kick his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Myst - Okay, maybe I really just need to play through these games at some point. I wonder how much it would cost Square-Enix to buy the rights to the game and redo the graphics on the Luminous engine?
    These games are absolutely amazing, and I agree they should remake these with next-gen tech. However once a hugely successful company, Cyan Worlds no longer really has the resources to undertake such a project and no other company would touch it because pure adventure games don't bring in the required profit.

You can check out realMyst, and there's a fan project to create realRiven which looks promising - they are real-time versions of the game with updated graphics.. The rest of the series, especially Revelations, still look rather decent enough and warrant a play through.

Just an extra tid-bit. Cyan and some guys in Hollywood are actually working on movies for Myst, based on the books that were written by the creators (mind you there's also an incredible amount of lore behind the universe that they created too).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    James Bond - Probably the game that would profit the most from a reboot, and by reboot I mean dropping the link to the film series. They seriously need to just get rid of that idea altogether and really do a reboot. If the films can do it by going back to early Bond, why can't the video games do it? I would adore a GoldenEye vs. Uncharted mix of gameplay combined with a story of Bond's early life / first missions. This could be a massive moneyspinner if they get a good team working on it. The problem is that the film industry is in love with their films too much to ever do this. Which is really, really sad. Films and games should always be seperate things.
    Props on this one. Agent Under Fire and Nightfire were really fun console shooters in part because they weren't tied to a film and had novel original stories.

Also, when I played the Uncharted 2 Istanbul intro I really felt like Naughty Dog should be doing the Bond games. I got a From Russia With Love vibe from it.