Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anti-saggy pants campaigns and bans

Default Anti-saggy pants campaigns and bans

Metro - The Metropolitan Etiquette Authority: Politely policing streets

Artist Jay Shells Establishes the 'Metropolitan Etiquette Authority' - ANIMAL

A common trend in hip hop fashion is to let your pants "sag" below your buttocks, exposing your boxers. The trend supposedly originated in prisons, which prohibited belts because they could be used for hanging themselves, or as assault weapons. (They have also found usage as spanking tools against children who misbehave.) A number of rappers and other hip hop artists have since popularized the sagging of pants below the hips.

Other people, however, are offended by seeing somebody else's underwear, and one man in New York City has established the Metropolitan Etiquette Authority, whose signs act as a campaign to remind both native New Yorkers and tourists alike about proper etiquette, and one of the signs tells you to pull up your pants, which is shown below:

Metropolitan-Etiquette-Authority_Pull_Up_Your_Pants.png

Other cities have also created campaigns to stop people from wearing saggy pants in public, and some have even taken a step further by implementing a full-on ban on saggy pants, which forcibly prohibits people from wearing their pants below their hips, and if they violate this law, they have to pay a fine. Schools in these cities have also made sagging a violation of the student dress code, and can result in detention or in-school suspension, as well as having the parents bring a change of clothes to their child's school.

In addition, there have also been anti-saggy pants songs as well. In the 2010 auditions for that year's season of American Idol, one auditioner in Atlanta, named General Larry Platt, used the auditions to promote his self-written song entitled "Pants on the Ground," which has inspired parodies by several celebrities, including Jimmy Fallon, impersonating Neil Young, on an episode of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon:

Pants On The Ground: Neil Young's Heart Wrenching Performance (VIDEO)

Another song, entitled "Pull Your Pants Up," is a rap song made by 9-year-old Brooklyn boy rapper Amor "Lilman" Arteaga; the music video also features an appearance by Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz.

Flatbush rapper Amor Arteaga, 9, is creative force  behind music video titled:

(I find both of these songs very amusing, but also very educational at the same time.)

Personally, I think that we should pull up our pants in public, because it is not nice to see somebody else's underwear (or worse, the crack of one's buttocks), and it should be kept private (though I also find it amusing at the same time). It's called "decency."

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 03-01-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

:monster:

oh no their boxers are showing

who cares?
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

I find it more annoying than anything else. While sure, it's not exactly worth me violently lunging for them anytime I see it, it does reek of " *sigh*, yet again, someone below the age of 21 insists on not wearing a belt"

I'm not bothered about people who accidently show some boxers when their bending or crouching down, because that's just a fact of life. Below is a highly exaggerated example, but the only one I could find on Google images:

Boxer usage okay.jpg

But it's when they deliberately insist on doing it as like a fashion statement, like conscious choice.

Boxer usage not okay.jpg

Now come on. He's STILL wearing a belt, yet chooses to show like over 70 percent boxer exposure. That's not fashion, that's just ill manners. I don't want to walk down the street seeing your boxers hanging off you thank you very much.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Saggy pants look stupid as smurf. It should still shouldn't be banned. If someone bans this, I demand that everything I don't want to look at gets banned as well. No exceptions.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Good thing I don't wear underwear!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Good thing I don't wear underwear!
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Every year or so, an American town or two (generally in Florida) will try to ban the scourge of saggy pants. It's understandable, too; with all the other nation's problems solved, legislators need something to do. And reading the First Amendment of the Constitution is probably too much to ask of them.

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    generally in Florida
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    oh no their boxers are showing

who cares?
    Basically.

All I know is that if anyone tried to pass something like that here, I'd tell them to go smurf themselves.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Saggy pants just look bad. Unless the boxers are soiled. Then it looks terrible

I fully support one's choice to dress like an idiot in public. That why I can judge them rightly based on the trout they wear.

How else would you tell which ones are female and which are male?

Blog Entries

I prefer plumber's crack to seeing boxers
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As long as I don't see an ass-crack, I really could not give a trout. Girls walk around with breasts coming up through tops and asses nearly hanging out of shorts, skirts and dresses. This is clothing that is showing. I could honestly not care less. Women do a lot worse with panties and bras and I think it's sexist to tell men to cover themselves up when women aren't bothered to do the same.

If you are offended, that is your own business. Society shouldn't cater to protecting the feelings of people who are bothered by clothing trends. Let the idiots walk around with their pants down to their knees if they feel like it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, I wouldn't ban it. I'll just casually disapprove of it all the while.

Having said that, I agree with Shorty with that women can also dress wrongly in my eyes. One day I was on the bus and saw this girl who was younger than I am wearing a very low cut skirt. I don't mind adults wearing slightly revealing clothing, but when it gets to like 13 or 14 year olds, I do get slightly uneasy.