Thread: Squad 7, move out!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Squad 7, move out!

Just finished Valkyria Chronicles, you were all correct, this is one of the best games ever. Definitely in the top of the list as far as PS3 games go. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was in the beginning, but it was really really good. Just well made with a lot of care and effort put into it, thanks Sega!

Is there another side-story after Welkin's, in Irene's book-materials? There's space for one more, but I haven't gone to Randgriz at a time where she tells me she's got new material.

(SPOILER)I actually found the pre-credits ending a bit tame/deus-ex-machina compared to the rest of the game. Luckily the post-credit ending made up for it. Sooo cute.

Why aren't the medals PSN trophies yet, is my question?! It'd be so easy, and I'd definitely play through the CLEAR save if there were any.

Man, look at me. Writing all proper while gushing about a 5 year old game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Congrats! Glad to hear you enjoyed the game, I'm looking to replay it myself sometime soon.

It is indeed a great game! My only two gripes for this game is that there is a bit too much talking occasionally, and that it could have been a bit more unforgiving. I would have liked a limited number of saves or loads during missions (maybe 1 or 2), so there's a lot more risk of losing squad members to emphasize the sadness of loss in war. It's too easy when you're allowed to save on every turn and reload when things don't work out.

But overall a terrific tactical rpg.

I did not lose a single character in VC. You can save between battles and between turns as well (load times are atrocious), and I used this frequently to line up sniper shots and for risky maneuvers. Some of the battles could have been better designed (I'm talking about the race to the finish area ones), the story kinda drags in some places, but overall it is one of the best PS3 exclusives and a great SRPG to boot.

Definitely pick up VC2 if you're interested!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i didn't lose anyone either, couldn't bring myself to do it. if i ever get a ps handheld i probably will pick up vc2. is vc3 coming to north america at any point?

We've pretty much been given a "no" for VC3. I know there is a fan translation in the works, but Sega's been pretty adamant on moving away from the PSP in North America. We may see some kind of Rez'd up version hit the Vita (probably not), but if you really want to get it, get the fan sub.

Sega doesn't want to release a retail version for us to buy? Well that's a ringing endorsement to go pirate it. Trust me I usually abhor this kinda tactic (I imported a European version of White Knight Chronicles: Origins, when others pirated it). But Sega's been really douchey on this even with all the groups and movements that tried to convince them otherwise.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Valkyria Chronicles is awesome. I wish the sequel wasn't portable console only, cause I really want to play that on my triple too.

Btw Alicia rush is OP.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nirojan View Post

Sega doesn't want to release a retail version for us to buy? Well that's a ringing endorsement to go pirate it. Trust me I usually abhor this kinda tactic (I imported a European version of White Knight Chronicles: Origins, when others pirated it). But Sega's been really douchey on this even with all the groups and movements that tried to convince them otherwise.
    Totally with you on this, I think there may be some hope if they release all three on the Vita (the original's graphics shouldn't be too hard to port?) so that way they could centralize it into one package for whoever wants it, also giving fans an opportunity to rebuy. It's a pipe dream, but it would make me buy a Vita.

Don't sleep on the wonderful Valkyria Chronicles 2. The handheld is the home of the modern classic RPG, that's not a bad thing, in many ways it's a good thing.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

It's not a good thing for me as long as they all have tiny displays and suboptimal controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It's not a good thing for me as long as they all have tiny displays and suboptimal controllers.
    You'd be surprised. It's been optimized (control, HUD, level design, etc.) for the PSP and the mission based structure of VC2 makes it a blast to play on the go.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yep. The game looks awesome running on the PSP screen and it's pleasantly surprising just how fluid and tight the controls are for the handheld.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

By suboptimal controllers I mean the controls on the PSP itself, not however the games choose to utilize them. Tiny analogue stick, less ergonomic shape than a real DS3, (again) tiny screen. The "on the go" argument is irrelevant to me as well, as I don't often travel in ways that allow me to play a game at the same time. Doing so would most likely lead to pretty severe accidents.

You like your PSP? Sure, go right ahead. I prefer to do my gaming at home in a comfortable couch, with a better controller and bigger display, and being able to hold my hands where ever I want without having to worry about not being able to watch the display. However great you think it is to be able to bring your games with you doesn't help me much when I don't have any significant interest in playing on the go.

Maybe it's possible to connect a PSP to a TV and use a DS3 controller, but at that point, I'd rather the game was released for the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Maybe it's possible to connect a PSP to a TV and use a DS3 controller, but at that point, I'd rather the game was released for the PS3.
    PSP Go video out (component cable) and bluetooth link your Dualshock 3!

Although I've come to the conclusion you'd complain regardless :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mirage I'm gonna give you a bit of friendly life advice: never unconditionally disqualify anything, as you'll end up missing out on a lot of wonderful experiences. In this case, Valkyria Chronicles 2.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I'm not unconditionally disqualifying VC2. I'm just not going to buy a portable console that I will use once every 30 months to play one single game.