Thread: "Bare" challenge

Default "Bare" challenge

Has anyone tried this before?
    Basically, you ignore any Jobs you get and finish the whole game with only the Bare Job.
    I'm doing this challenge right now and it was much more fun than I expected, it requires completely different tactics and you have to bring a lot of Potions and Phoenix Downs with you at all times, and normally need to have one or two healers during boss battles.

One thing I like about this challenge is that, although the Job System is certainly enjoyable, it also tends to lead to decision anxiety and be a little stressful since it's occasionally so hard to decide on parties.
    In this challenge you don't need to deal with that, you just grab whatever best items you can find and move on, and the simplicity of the whole nature of the challenge is quite pleasant.

As being a Job Class fanatic I don't feel comfortable with this challenge! XD I apply the opposite challenge instead, I keep only one Job class (with a support command) for each character for the whole game... I don't switch to "Bare" even when Bare gets strong thanks to the other Jobs!

I have Bartz as a Knight and he is Knight 'till the end! Even Galuf and Krilie don't have the same classes to me!

"Bare" only would be an interesting challenge to me but it would be an harder version of the "Monk only" challenge................. Every "Bare" would be also Bare.............................. Handed! Hahahaha!
    If you want to be a Final Fantasy hero...............

Choose your class!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yeah, Freelancer-only sounds like it would be an incredibly boring game. I actually started a challenge close to what Seath described though, not too long ago. Basically, only two job changes allowed for each character over the course of the entire game. So if I want to have a black mage with white magic towards the end of the game, I would have to change to white mage as i get that, and then not touch it until I had white magic maxed (or at whichever level I felt was sufficient), for then to level black mage.

I don't think I've experienced any of the issues you seem to have with job systems.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Yes I also assign a main and a secondary Job to everyone and be stuck with those but to me it's not really a challenge! XD It's my playstyle! Hahaha!

I don't have rules on when to learn skills, the only rule is that every character has to keep his/her Job since it becomes available and until the end!

Most of my Jobs are initial though... So it's easy!

Bartz - Knight (+ Guard)
    Galuf - Black Mage (+ Time Magic)
    Reina - White Mage (+ Summon)
    Faris - Thief (change to Ninja + Steal when available)
    Reina - Dragoon (+ Blue Magic) (possible since she come late game)

Bartz is the only one having a single class but he is balanced by the fact that while the others keep weak/initial weapons (Reina gets the Healing Staff as any White Mage though), he is allowed Excalibur when it's available (sword of the main hero)...

"Bare" only intrigues me only if I can do it as a "Monk without Job challenge"... Bare and unarmed! Hard challenge but possible with a lot of training!

Choose your class!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

And again, incredibly boring.

Of course! It forces you to extreme grinding!

Choose your class!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Extreme grinding is for people without anything to do in their lives. When you've only got a few hours time to play games a day, I'd call you crazy if you wanted to spend all of it running in circles in a 20 year old game.

I know, that's one of the many reasons why I don't power up every characters to the extreme and I count on classes and team strategies! It takes a few time too... Among other things!
    It's to be said about those FFs that lets you create those 9999 and 255 senseless status screens but also here in V you can master all classes with all characters and fuse all of them in Bare class but I hate it, it's time consuming and it ruins the characterization and diversity of characters! What I do here and elsewhere is the opposite, I assign a few abilities to each character and he/she goes on with them the whole game, so that all the rest is done with strategy and teamwork, not grinding and powerplaying!

Choose your class!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    20 year old game.
    That feel, bro.

there was a picture here