Thread: Secrets You've Learned About Final Fantasy IV

Default Secrets You've Learned About Final Fantasy IV

Did you know that you can stack Slow? And not only that, most of the bosses in this game are susceptible to it.

I think this might be the only game in the series where you can stack Slow on an enemy. With your enemy slowed twice and your party on Haste, you can possible take out a boss before they even have a turn.

Also, Zeromus has a very predictable attack pattern that cycles. If you memorize the cycle, you can predict Zeromus' next move. It changes as he loses health, but it's not hard to know when has changed to the next phase.

What are some secrets or tips that you've learned as you've played Final Fantasy IV?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Is that slow stacking still relevant in the DS version?
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Ages ago, I came across this site. Most people here know this stuff probably, but I still want to share it on the off chance that I am wrong.

Final Fantasy IV - Everything You Know is Wrong

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Ages ago, I came across this site. Most people here know this stuff probably, but I still want to share it on the off chance that I am wrong.

THANK YOU SEPHEX i have been trying to find that link since it was posted here forever ago. *bookmark*

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

THANK YOU SEPHEX i have been trying to find that link since it was posted here forever ago. *bookmark*
    Not a problem, man. Glad I could help!
    Last edited by Sephex; 02-09-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: sdafsadfasdgagasdgadsfgdsf

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This actually applies to ATB in general but since FFIV started it, I felt it was relevant. Battle Speed does not actually change how fast your party turns come up, that is purely based on stats and what skills you are using, Battle Speed actually affects how fast the enemies ATB gauges instead, so whether your on the highest or lowest settings, Cecil is moving the same speed, its just the enemies who are affected by Battle Speed.

Paralyze (Hold) is actually one of the most useful status effects in the game as there are very few enemies that are immune to it.

The Coral Sword only exists in the Easy Type and US versions of FFIV, the series first actual Thunder elemental blade doesn't appear until FFV.

Kain was originally meant to use magic and early screenshots of the game before it was released had him with a Magic command. He even has an actual spell casting animation still in the code.

Several enemies and most bosses have retort abilities which are basically auto-counters against certain moves, so if you ever wonder why the enemy seems to pull off powerful moves every other turn, its probably because you are activating its retorts.

FFXIV Character

Cite an example? Only thing that comes to mind is the Behemoth's Maelstrom counter.

Articles

Playing this game at a young age and so many times has trained me on finding hidden passages when you can just walk into/through the walls. I'm playing through FF3 on NES and I'm finding all these hidden passages with EASE. It's almost like I can recognize where they put them.

Lets see, what did I learn specifically about FF4 that hasn't been posted...if you let Edward attack his way into a hard counter, you can kill him off so he doesn't annoy you by hiding every 5 seconds.
    You think a minor thing like the end of the world was gonna do me in?

Cite an example? Only thing that comes to mind is the Behemoth's Maelstrom counter.
    One that I can immediately think of is Asura. She will counter any attack with a physical attack.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Coeril Cats will counter with Hold if you attack them physically

Antlion will counter ny damaging attack with a physical strike.

Baigan will cast reflect on himself if you hit him with magic.

Barbarricia will counter any non-Jump physical attack in her Tornado mode with Maelstrom

Lugae counters from physical or magical non-summon attacks, he counters with Sleep Gas

Scarmiglione's first form counters all damage with a random cast of Thunder, his true form counters fire magic damage with Gas, but the attack is bugged and doesn't actually do anything.

In the original SNES/Super Famicom version, CPU counters physical attacks with Globe199 that will do max damage to a character.

In the non-DS versions, Rubicante will counter all physical attacks with a group hitting Fira spell.

FFXIV Character

I shouldn't post at 2:30 AM. Didn't know about the Coeurl or Lugae counters though!