Thread: First Aid Training

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default First Aid Training

I was watching this documentary and I chanced upon a most disturbing statistic:

"Nearly 140,000 people die each year in England and Wales, when basic first aid could have saved them"

That's alot of people! And that's only in England and Wales, god knows what the numbers are like elsewhere. In it, Fabrice Muamba, that footballer who died for over 78 minutes called for more first aid teaching.

I'd love to do first aid training! Not just because you get a small certificate and all that, but because you get life-saving skills.

Do you know first aid? Does many of your friends know? Is first aid courses and training readily available?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

No, but I've been taught some basic first aid while growing up thanks to swimming lessons (they try to lead you up to becoming a life guard), a babysitting course, and my mom once being a nurse. It weirds me right out when I'm in someone else's house and they don't have band aids, antibiotic cream, and rubbing alcohol thanks to my mother.

My gal pal has her's. One time when we passed an accident she said to me "If there weren't medics already taking care of them I would be obligated to help them because I have my first aid" ...okay maybe call 911 but even with training I wouldn't touch someone who might have a serious injury (which looked like the case with the accident we walked by)

First aid training is constantly available.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I have had it in the past, actually in High School we got certified in our gym class. That being said it has long expired.

That being said, in Quebec you have a responsibility (legally) to help someone whether you have first aid or not. That is if you do not have your first aid, you should call 911, etc...Obviously, you cannot preform what you do not know or certified to do (since you could seriously make things worse).

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but my license expires in like two months. I don't know if I'll get it renewed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have both First Aid and CPR certification. It's required for my job (since I work in the medical field) and I was given classes when I was hired.Thankfully, I've never had a situation where I've needed either. I am confident I could properly give CPR and the Heimlech to someone who needed either.I think you're over-estimating First Aid training. First thing: call 911. But a big portion of your responsibility is making sure the person is safe, and having said that, weighing one evil against another. For example, if you think someone might have a broken rib, you shouldn't move them unless absolutely necessary, as you might puncture a lung or other organ. As far as safe surroundings go, if some has a seizure, you're not supposed to restrain them. Basically you just move objects/people out of their way so they can't hurt themselves or others. Use common sense on calling 911. (My mom works with clients who seize everyday. Unless their seizure is over x amount of seconds, there's no reason to call 911.)I also know how to deal with bleeding wounds, tie slings, and make splints. And of course common first aid like treating a cut with ointment and a bandaid. I'm really thankful I have this training, because it might come in handy someday. I really hope I don't ever need to use it. The important thing to remember is that just because you are obligated to help does NOT mean you are a medic, and to be careful to not do more damage than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

No. I plan on taking the course before summer.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

We're required to learn a bit of first aid when taking our driver's licenses over here. It was a bit superficial though. I dunno how much people remember of it years later.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

in the documentary I watched, the presenter went to Norway where First aid training and defibrillator training is mandatory in schools, and their survival rates for emergencies are alot higher than in England, where it's not mandatory (And to be honest, only 18% of school leavers know first aid according to the doc)

I think first aid should be taught in schools, what do you guys think?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I think it's probably just as important a skill as a lot of other things we learn in school, so why not?

Personally, I learned to use a defibrilator because I went to karate, because one of the coaches was in the business of selling portable such devices. I'm too old to have learned that in school, seeing as they weren't really common back then. I just learned CPR and how to figure out what sort of emergency treatment a person needs, if any.
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-10-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know basic first aid and perhaps not so basic stuff too, I've used my knowledge a few times mostly in night clubs where it's someone who has drunk too much/taken something and passed out. I've also helped someone who stabbed themselves through the thigh with their bmx stunt peg.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can take BLS courses through work, and I really want to. Otherwise I know how to use AED (automated external defibrillator) and Heimlich.

I'm good in emergencies because I don't freak out and I know when to call EMS.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

One of our friends was a paramedic for a few years so we just always do what he tells us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    "Nearly 140,000 people die each year in England and Wales, when basic first aid could have saved them"
    I find this claim highly dubious and in need of context.

there was a picture here

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree with Manus. That claim sounds dubious on its face.

Anyway, I was first aid and CPR certified in college because I was a supervisor for intramural sports. I haven't gotten that renewed since, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I find this claim highly dubious and in need of context.
    It was done through a survey from St. John's Ambulance, and not from me. As for what they define as "could have saved them", I have no clue. I do agree that they should elaborate more on the stats.