Thread: A part of the story that got dropped?

Default A part of the story that got dropped?

Okay so I had some difficulty with the title so bear with me because I thought this up while driving to my class today.

So when we are introduced to Squall and the garden in general, we learn that they are being trained to be mercenaries. After the exam Squall, Zell and Selphie get hired by Rinoa. After that they are hired to assassinate Edea. Then that is it, there are no more SeeD jobs. This actually made me think for a while, why would they take a perfectly good concept that could create side quests and stuff like that and then dump it by the end of Disc 1?

What do you all think?

The mercenary thing is just disguise even the SEEDs don't know about it being disguise. SEEDs are trained so they can fight sorceresses when the time has come and don't even know it, like Squall wonders about when he is in prison and tortured. The whole story is about witches. So something which is way more important than the "other job". It all begins with Edea meeting a Squall from another time period who defeated Ultimecia and told her he is a "SEED from Balamb Garden".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Xannidel View Post
    why would they take a perfectly good concept that could create side quests and stuff like that and then dump it by the end of Disc 1?
    I agree. It does seem to be a bit of a wasted opportunity after making such a big deal with their SEED graduation. The obtaining of certain GF's could have been made into official SEED missions. Obviously the retrieval of the GF wouldn't be the mission itself... but it could have been an additional reward for completing it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's a plot point to get them where they need to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

But I guess they could have expanded it is a "mission" side-quest style thing. It could be quite good actually.

OMG YOUR AVATAR...

I always assumed that the missile base, saving Balamb from the missiles, heading to space and saving Rinoa were SeeD missions in disguise.

The game didn't say that they were but they were. In the missile base you have a certain time to escape and kill the boss sort of like you had 10 mins to escape the metal spider for the SeeD exam in Dollet.

In the Missile Base you were sabotaging the missiles to miss Balamb Garden and then overload the base to explode. Not exactly the same as Squall and co. missing their boat back from their SeeD exam TBH. :s

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I understand that the whole "mercenary" thing was a front to simply pay the bills for the anti-witch organization, I do feel the writing staff missed the boat on this cause I feel a mercenary school for war orphans was a hell of a lot better concept than the mess that VIII's plot eventually came to be. So yeah, I feel it was a missed opportunity. It's another reason I'm miffed about Type-0 not getting released outside of Japan, because the "military academy" idea gets reused and seems to be more pure from what I've read.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, at least the idea isn't completely ditched. You can take the SeeD tests and get a pay increase throughout the game.

I agree, definitely would have been a cool opportunity to have mission side quests. Similar to to Crisis Core or Final Fantasy XII's hunting system.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    I agree, definitely would have been a cool opportunity to have mission side quests. Similar to to Crisis Core or Final Fantasy XII's hunting system.
    That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Definitely missed a trick. I really like Type-0 as well, because the whole "military school" idea seems pretty neat. Not to mention the school outfits look awesome

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

A modern element to role-playing games is to have a mission-based system like this. We can see this in Final Fantasy XII, with the clan missions, for example. I imagine that if the game was remade that this would almost certainly be a new selling point to the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.