Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books you've nearly memorized

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Books you've nearly memorized

Are there any books you have that you've read over and over to the point of nearly memorizing them?

I'm this way with Ender's Game. I read it atleast once a year and I feel like I could recite a good portion of it if I needed to. I haven't read Speaker for the Dead as often, but that would be probably next on the list.

What books do you pick up over and over again?

Blog Entries

None because I remember lots of things from the first time I read it! so I rarely if ever re-read a book. Same with games. Gotta have lots more stuff for me to do or I'll just never pick it up again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have large portions of Memoirs of a Geisha memorized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Bram Stoker's Dracula. I find myself quietly reciting lines from this amazing book.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Cat in the Hat.

Blog Entries

Far too many a lot of random novels, textbooks, wikipedia pages... practically all I do in my spare time these days is read.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I think I've read Watership Down the most of all books (not counting kids' books and such). I don't think I quite have it memorized, though.

When I was little I read a chapter book called Sam the Cat: Detective about a million times and I think I had parts of that memorized for sure.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The closest for me would probably be parts of the DragonLance series (first two trilogies) and Death Gate Cycle, from how often I read those series growing up. I haven't read either of them in years, but I still know almost every detail.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

No books, but I can pretty much recite Die Hard, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars from memory.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Where the wild things are.

Articles

Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn, all by R.A. Salvatore. I've read that trilogy WAY too many times.
    You think a minor thing like the end of the world was gonna do me in?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Science textbooks from high school.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I rarely ever read books. I don't have a particularly high tolerance for lengthy wordy descriptive run-on sentences of nearing-1000-page novels. I'm fairly selective that way. Aside from the fact that I pretty much glaze over the longwinded descriptive parts, I pretty much am able to remember much of the text of books I read after the first reading. My interest in the book is enough to make nearly every word stand out in memory. However, if I were to read it again, there's a chance I might start to wonder why I read it at all which could cause my interest to dip thus my memory of the text would gradually be replaced by things I like better.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Much of H.P. Lovecraft's oeuvre. I'm generally not one for rereading a lot, but they are fairly dense and lend themselves to a lot of unpacking of sentences and interesting vocabulary. Then I started reading a lot of them again with my wife. Then I found the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast and pretty much read many of them again to be fresh to listen to episodes.

I tend to listen to audiobooks or podcasts to help me sleep and ones I've heard before make it especially easy, so I've listened a lot of audiobook versions many times (love Wayne June's). I've also probably listened to most episodes of the podcast 2 or more times though most of those repeats are while drifting to sleep. Skeptoid is another fantastic sleep podcast. My wife almost can't sleep without Brian Dunning's voice, but that's sort of off topic.

Outside of Lovecraft, I really had a thing for The Count of Monte Cristo, but that book is a little much to have memorized.

Also, I don't understand the fascination with Ender's Game. I read it and enjoyed it. I got hung up on book 6 in the series mostly just out of being busy, but I've never reread Ender's Game. Maybe it's because the first time I read it I was already nearly 30 and it just didn't hit me the way it might a MS or HS age person. It's a so-so book with a sort of Mary Sue protagonist.

I liked Speaker much more. I feel like Ender's Game is like The Hobbit... lighter and more kid friendly. The following 3 are more like LOTR. Way denser and not necessarily for the youngest audience. They really got deep into some stuff and I personally kept feeling like Orson Scott Card was writing a screed against religion. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I would've thought he was an atheist author pushing his point of view through narrative a la Philip Pullman. It makes me sad that a man who can see the most horrible parts of religious bigotry and even touch on the topic of love not caring about gender... that same man can be so proud of his BS religious heritage and be one of the most vocally anti-gay people out there.

Wow... I suck at staying on topic.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thankfully, he's managed to leave his nonsense beliefs out of the Ender books I've read (so far).

I found this quote today:

"If you don’t read Ender’s Game for the first time as a 12-year-old at the bottom of the social totem pole but convinced of your own transcendent intellect, you’re missing an essential part of the experience.”
    That much is definitely true for me. I grew up with it since the age of ten and it just kindof became a part of me. Had I picked it up at my age now or later in life, I'd feel much differently about it. I was reading about Ender at the same age he was in the story and it made it that much easier for me to relate to.

Speaker is equally as fantastic, though, and second on my nearly-memorized list.