Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know far too much about video games

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default I know far too much about video games

I work at a certain retail store that sells video games. Before I was very stuck in my likes and dislikes of games so my knowledge was limited. Now, hell I know so much crap. I surprise myself sometimes when people ask me about games. Even if I don't know too much about it I can wing it and bs like a mofo. It's even bled into my social life. Someone mentions something and I shut it down fairly quickly.

How vast is your gaming knowledge? Do you limit yourself to a certain genre or platform? DO you know too much about video games?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I used to limit myself to JRPGs, with a couple genres on the side, but they stopped making those so I've played a ton way too many shooters, racers, and action games this generation than I probably would have otherwise. As a result, getting into general gaming happenings led to me knowing a lot about the big publishers, their studios and partners, and some of the individuals with lead roles on games.

I do kinda wish I'd spend more of the time sunk on news blogs and even here, to a lesser extent, would be spent on games instead.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My niche is mid 90's to early 00's WRPG's. Outside of that, I'm about as knowledgeable as the average gamer.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I am a pokémon encyclopedia.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    How vast is your gaming knowledge? Do you limit yourself to a certain genre or platform? DO you know too much about video games?
    I think I know quite a bit. Even about things that I don't play. This is a side effect from spending large amounts of time on /v/ and the Something Awful gaming subforum. In particular I know a lot about strategy games. I uh... I also know a lot about the TES series

There are some games I know almost everything about. FFX, Dark Souls, GTA Vice City...

if only that memory space was used to remember more useful things

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I think I know quite a bit. Even about things that I don't play. This is a side effect from spending large amounts of time on /v/
    Well, I don't personally browse /v/ but people I know do and they link me to things.

I dunno how much I know, but I can talk about stuff quite widely. 90% of it might just be stuff I pulled from my ass, but luckily other people don't know that.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm probably as knowledgeable as the average gamer, except with lots of knowledge about a few select series and titles, such as Final Fantasy, Tales, Disgaea, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Star Ocean and Metal Gear Solid.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've never really claimed to be that knowledgeable about video games. I know a fair share about certain Final Fantasy and Zelda games. Oh, and Shadow Hearts. That's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know a pretty good amount about general gaming history from the '80s up until now with a few very niche areas that I've studied more deeply. I've become a lot more knowledgeable about the tech behind it all in recent years, which tends to tell a pretty interesting story about the development process.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Oh yes that reminds me. I do know a LOT about gaming history because I read every gaming history book I can get my hands on and then I re-read them once a year or so.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know a stupid amount about videogames, but my knowledge of the current console generation is lacking because it's the first time in a long time I've only had one of the consoles, and I've become more of a PC gamer over the last few years.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I know diddly-squat. Which is weird because I always tend to get niched in with the gaming crowd and they always talk about super popular games I've never even heard of and I'm like, well... I love the LoZ games and the FF games! :3

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Guys! the bew walking dead game has the voice actors of merle and daryl actually in it! Oh and the new game by bungie? not limited to just the 360. What about that game defiance? Apparently your choices in the game affect the scyfy show. But last of us is zombies but not zombies and only on ps3. Weird naughty dog once created crash bandicoot and is now one of the big name devs. Etc etc etc

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to be pretty damn knowledgeable about the main Tomb Raider Games, Gex, Crash and Spyro (I was just good at them, so I guess that makes me knowledgeable?) and some other old PS games but it's been a long time since I've played all of them. FFVIII is pretty much the only Final Fantasy that I've mastered and I'm pretty knowledgeable about it.

I'd say my knowledge of Fallout ranges in the 50% range, if not less, purely because there is just so much trout and so many smurfing paths to take and so much to do and I've barely cracked even half of it (that may be a generous estimate).