Thread: Why the Dolphin ?

Default Why the Dolphin ?

Why does everybody like Echo the Dolphin when it comes to old Genesis/ Mega Drive games ?

Whenever somebody makes a Mega Drive list, that Dolphin game always scores really high or high up on the list.

It's a game where you play a Dolphin and swim around. What's so amazing about it ?

Yeah I have played it on Sega Mega Drive collection thing, and it was a bore. It was just a Dolphin and ....swimming around.

Am I missing something here ?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Beautiful visuals and music, novel gameplay and challenging puzzles, and a bitchin' re-release on the Sega CD. Different strokes for different folks, but for me it's an unbeatable classic.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Why does everybody like Echo the Dolphin when it comes to old Genesis/ Mega Drive games ?

Whenever somebody makes a Mega Drive list, that Dolphin game always scores really high or high up on the list.

It's a game where you play a Dolphin and swim around. What's so amazing about it ?

Yeah I have played it on Sega Mega Drive collection thing, and it was a bore. It was just a Dolphin and ....swimming around.

Am I missing something here ?
    You didn't get very far, did you...

1359348636007.jpg

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    You didn't get very far, did you...

1359348636007.jpg

Oh the infamous NNNNNNN password level.

It's creepy as smurf Welcome to the Machine, but it's still pretty well.... dull...

not a fan. Beat the game, but not a fan. I saw it on the PS2 "Genesis Hits" collection. On that disc, I preferred Sword of Vermillion and Phantasy Star. Hell, I preferred Altered Beast, Alex Kidd... I preferred Flicky.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    not a fan. Beat the game, but not a fan. I saw it on the PS2 "Genesis Hits" collection. On that disc, I preferred Sword of Vermillion and Phantasy Star. Hell, I preferred Altered Beast, Alex Kidd... I preferred Flicky.
    Thankyou.

It was a very relaxing game with a great atmosphere, some nice music, nice visuals, and good puzzles.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

NCG hit the nail on the head for me. So long as it's fun, it's all good. I mean, if you're going to trivialise Ecco as "just a Dolphin and ....swimming around" I could argue that Mario is "just an Italian and... jumping around" or that every single game that ever involved a gun was "just shooting". I could even argue that every FF is just "a group of people running around".
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!