Thread: House of Cards - Netflix Original

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default House of Cards - Netflix Original

Anyone else watching this? It is fantastic! Ultra stylized, amazing acting, lots of intrigue and drama.

I never loved Kevin Spacey because he always just came across so creepy to me. But in House of Cards he is so sharp and cutting and intense, but also hilarious and charming. Seriously so good. Robin Wright is frosty and layered and magnetic too.

I haven't been so enraptured by a show in awhile. Loooove it. Del Murder and I went through like 6 episodes this weekend. If I were left to my own devices, I probably would have done a binge marathon and watched all 13 episodes in one go.

It's also pretty exciting to think of how this will change the whole television game. Netflix knocked it out of the park with this one.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This keeps popping up on my homepage. What is it about even?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    This keeps popping up on my homepage. What is it about even?
    Politics and revenge.

When my computer crapped out and I had nothing else to do, I decided to sit down and watch the first couple episodes to see if it was any good. 12 episodes later, I was kinda forced to finish it out. The beginning and middle are really strong, though the ending to the first season is kind of lackluster by comparison. The acting and writing are both incredible and the sex isn't as in-your-face as you'd expect given the station it airs on.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah this show is pretty great. Spacey is incredible and deserves an Emmy. At least a nomination. Probably the best part about it is that it's so unique and stylized. There's nothing else out there like it and it doesn't resort to TV tropes or go in the direction you might expect (most of the time).

Everyone with Netflix should watch this show.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Great series. Just started watch it on Netflix as well. Watched 3 episodes. Kevin Spacey is perfect for roles like these.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This show went in some weird directions and wasn't as good as the first few episodes. But I still liked it overall and can't wait for the next season.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I watched this and I loved it. It was a bit slow in the middle but it picked up some massive steam at the end. I am cautiously optimistic for the next season however. While this one was good it was based on the original BBC show/book and it pretty much ends where season 1 ends. Too my understanding most of the events that took place in the new version are more or less the same. So now they get to venture into completely new ground and that is always a bit worrisome. Then again with their budget they should be able to hire all the writers they damn well please.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It's a good show. Kevin Spacey was great, but at times there wasn't much else around him. It starts out strong, wavers a bit through the rest of it, but still keeps me interested in seeing more. Overall the show is very entertaining and worth watching.

It has made me want to watch the British original miniseries, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was kind of disappointed at where the show went after the first few episodes. I especially missed the humor that was really such a strong point in the early episodes. Still a good season, but I was honestly pretty grossed out by the Frank/Zoe relationship. Like, ok, daddy issues. We get it. Did it have to be so god damn in your face? Ew.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The reviews in this thread make me want to watch it! I think I might sit down and do it next weekend.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I watched the season over a couple of days and liked it very much, but I admit I'm mostly just excited to see Netflix produce its own series. Feels like progress.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I agree with everybody that the front half was the better half of the series. The production values remained top notch throughout, but the plotting was the strongest early on. Having been around Georgia politics a little bit, too, I overall liked Spacey's character and how they depicted his home district. He was wonderfully sharp and menacing, though some of the sayings were a little cliche Southern. "I love that woman like a shark loves blood" or whatever.

The head writer for the show also wrote the movie Ides of March, which was decent. I think he's improved since then, too--Ides of March had great actors but the plot wasn't so hot after the first 45 minutes, and House of Cards stayed interesting until the end, even if strongest episodes were frontloaded.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I did nothing but watch this during two days in my free time a few months ago. It was obvious there would be a cliffhanger ending, but jeez. Wonder if they'll release season two in its entirety or just release one episode per week?