View Poll Results: Is soup a food or a drink?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Food

48 92.31%
  • Drink

4 7.69%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Soup

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Sauce is a condiment, isn't it?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

What's the difference between a sauce and a soup?

And we all know that food and drink both go into your oesophagus, and if they go into your trachea you are in trouble and will DIE. So, if soup got into your trachea, would a coroner say that you choked or drowned?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Depends on wether it was a chunk of food in the soup that choked you or the soup that drowned you. Two different things. One is the result of something jamming your trachea and stopping you from being able to breathe, the other is a complete inability to breathe due to being submerged and effectively suffocated by a lack of air and eventually leading to you taking liquid into your lungs... I think.

Sauces are probably like soups, they are liquid food and could be described as a drink if you liked to drink things that are completely and utterly gross when consumed on their own. Sadly, I know of a couple of people that would probably drink sauces... Condiments should remain condiments.

I drank gravy once or twice

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Also, I'm assuming that you people saying "Bob" are talking about TSoL because my username is most definitely BoB, and his real name is most definitely Bobby, which Bob is short for. >=P Speaking of TSoL, you mention that you made soup in litres... that's weird, that's how drinks are measured. As for qwerty, I'm pretty sure that someone with the evidence backing him up such as being a nurse who deals with specific diets has all the proof he needs that soup can sustain someone. I mean, come on - people have permanently lost the ability to chew and carried on without any solid foods at all for the rest of their lives.
    Because you measure liquids by volume not by mass and we usually store them in 16-20 litre buckets? I do not think anyone is arguing soup is a liquid. But being a liquid, or primarily a liquid, does not make it a drink. Unless you consider solutions of HCl and Bleach drinks but then you're insane or having a death wish.

I think BoB is just trying to troll the French, or at least French cuisine. Trying to return the the times of the Hundred Years' War. I know what you are up to!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I didn't know you were French.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    But being a liquid, or primarily a liquid, does not make it a drink. Unless you consider solutions of HCl and Bleach drinks but then you're insane or having a death wish.
    HCl and bleach are not designed for human consumption and therefore are not a drink. Mentioned this somewhere before - it's like saying a kitchen sponge is food because it's solid and can be consumed. That doesn't mean it should be consumed in any way whatsoever, and therefore is not food whatsoever.

EDIT: I don't get the purpose behind you editing the poll, MILF. Everyone who clicks through to see who voted can see you're messing with it. Fixed again. >=]

FFXIV Character

Quarter, actually. Grandmother was Quebecois. But I was more going for the French as in French cuisine which underlines much of our understanding of food.

One could argue that HCl is design for human consumption insofar as it is found in the stomach and is used in our consumption of food. But then then the counterargument would be equally one of semantics. More to the point, I used exaggerated examples to point out the fact that we use litres to measure liquids yet being a liquid is not a sufficient condition for something to be a drink, only a necessary one.

Moreover, depending on your definition of "designed for human consumption", you could argue that the milk of other mammals are not designed for human consumption, yet we still consume them. Therein there is an argument to say that milk, specifically cow's milk, is not a drink. Also, it points to the interesting paradox that as a species we are more comfortable with consuming the milk of another animal than our own. Given the issue around breastfeeding in public as well as the idea of human milk products being marketable.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Depends on wether it was a chunk of food in the soup that choked you or the soup that drowned you. Two different things. One is the result of something jamming your trachea and stopping you from being able to breathe, the other is a complete inability to breathe due to being submerged and effectively suffocated by a lack of air and eventually leading to you taking liquid into your lungs... I think.

Sauces are probably like soups, they are liquid food and could be described as a drink if you liked to drink things that are completely and utterly gross when consumed on their own. Sadly, I know of a couple of people that would probably drink sauces... Condiments should remain condiments.
    Daniel, you are treading dangerously close to an Iceglow-level of pulling bulltrout out of your ass.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wait a minute...what if he is Iceglow?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've met them both and they are both tiny little men of about five foot seven. They also both have ridiculous accents that I had trouble believing were real. What if...?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This may be bigger than we all thought.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Is this all some elaborate April Fool's prank happening?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

5'8" bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Quarter, actually. Grandmother was Quebecois. But I was more going for the French as in French cuisine which underlines much of our understanding of food.

One could argue that HCl is design for human consumption insofar as it is found in the stomach and is used in our consumption of food. But then then the counterargument would be equally one of semantics. More to the point, I used exaggerated examples to point out the fact that we use litres to measure liquids yet being a liquid is not a sufficient condition for something to be a drink, only a necessary one.

Moreover, depending on your definition of "designed for human consumption", you could argue that the milk of other mammals are not designed for human consumption, yet we still consume them. Therein there is an argument to say that milk, specifically cow's milk, is not a drink. Also, it points to the interesting paradox that as a species we are more comfortable with consuming the milk of another animal than our own. Given the issue around breastfeeding in public as well as the idea of human milk products being marketable.
    Fine. SAFE for human consumption, you pedant. xD

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

As for qwerty, I'm pretty sure that someone with the evidence backing him up such as being a nurse who deals with specific diets has all the proof he needs that soup can sustain someone. I mean, come on - people have permanently lost the ability to chew and carried on without any solid foods at all for the rest of their lives.
    I never said that you couldn't live off of soup. I said you could not live off of supplements alone. Two completely different things.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

There are cultures where people pick up their bowl and drink their soup from it. SoupTale: ASIAN SOUP ETIQUETTE

I don't speak Cantonese, but the internets say "drinking soup" is a thing people say in Cantonese, rather than "eating soup". Drink instead of eat soup? - Grammar, Sentence Structures and Patterns - Chinese-forums.com

EDIT: Also see this image from the front page of Lipton's CUP-A-SOUP website that shows a girl drinking soup out of a bowl. http://www.makinglifebetter.com/micr...ton-cup-a-soup