View Poll Results: Is soup a food or a drink?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Food

48 92.31%
  • Drink

4 7.69%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Soup

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Stop feeding the troll The_Man!

Or should I say "Stop quenching the troll's thirst!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Now Manny, you're repeating yourself. And as for people looking at you weird, I could ask for tomato juice mixed with coca-cola and they'd look at me weird, too. They do that because it's a request they aren't used to, not because it isn't a drink. But yeah, you wouldn't get looked at weird if you asked for soup in a cup over here, and I don't think you'd get looked at weird in NZ either... perhaps, yes, if you asked for this in a high class restaurant, but they would also look at me weird if I asked for tartare sauce on my mashed potatol, cheese on my fish or anything that they are not used to serving.

I mean, think about it. How much liquidated food do you need to mix in with a cup of water before you no longer consider it a drink?

Manny, can you find a definition of 'drink' that clearly excludes soup?

Wikipedia: a kind of liquid which is specifically prepared for human consumption.
    Dictionary.com: any liquid that is swallowed to quench thirst, for nourishment, etc.; beverage.
    Wiktionary: A served beverage
    For reference, 'beverage' is defined as 'a liquid to consume'.

It should be noted that Soup is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for 'Drink' under 'Miscellaneous'.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

This is infuriating!

I work in a hospital, and a lot of patients are on a nutritional compact energy drink DIET, and some are on a nutritional soup intake only, which are categorized as being a nutritional drink.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This is infuriating!

I work in a hospital, and a lot of patients are on a nutritional compact energy drink DIET, and some are on a nutritional soup intake only, which are categorized as being a nutritional drink.
    CATEGORIZED AND EVERYTHING.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    No one drinks soup. It's eaten with a spoon.
    Okay, while I don't agree with BoB I don't agree with this either. A lot of people drink soup out of a canteen in fact when I was child I'd only see children drink soup out of their plastic canteens.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

BoB, find me a fruit or vegetable that, when pressed, makes a soup. And tomato soup is not just pressed tomatoes, you bumhole.

Point of interest: I drink hot chocolate from a cup via a spoon, because it is so much more delicious that way. BoB is still wrong, though.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, soup is not "liquidated food". Christ on a bike, man. Putting trout in a blender and cranking it up to eleven does not make soup, it makes a mess. An inedible mess. The foundation of your wrongness is this incorrect definition, so I request and require that you bring it up to date.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 03-08-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The definition is all over the world, buddy. Find me a soup that you can't drink and involves no liquid, and I'll correct you and point out that it isn't a freakin' soup.

As for being hospitalised - funny you mention that, Boobs, since Chris is a nurse and just stated that soup is categorised as a nutritional drink. He also mentions that some are on nutrional soup intake only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    BoB, find me a fruit or vegetable that, when pressed, makes a soup. And tomato soup is not just pressed tomatoes, you bumhole.
    You're right, you need to add a lot of drinkable items to get soup to a drinkable state. You certainly wouldn't avoid adding these items (such as, you know, water), as then you wouldn't be able to drink it. Because soup is, after all, liquid food which you drink. If there is no liquid to drink then it ceases to be a soup.

Point of interest: I drink hot chocolate from a cup via a spoon, because it is so much more delicious that way.
    Exactly.

BoB is still wrong, though.
    Yet you just can't prove that soup isn't a drink.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    By your definition of a drink--something you swallow--window cleaner must be a drink too.

Go drink some, BoB.
    No, window cleaner is not something I would define as a consumable item with any nutritional value. That's about as absurd as defining chewing gum as food. Oh, wait. Okay, it's as absurd as defining cardboard as food.

The definitions provided were...

Wikipedia: a kind of liquid which is specifically prepared for human consumption.
    Dictionary.com: any liquid that is swallowed to quench thirst, for nourishment, etc.; beverage.
    Wiktionary: A served beverage
    For reference, 'beverage' is defined as 'a liquid to consume'.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

[img]http://home.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/heart.gif[/img]

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    He also mentions that some are on nutrional soup intake only.
    Almost as if... it provides sufficient nutrition for people... as though it were food

I'd like it to be publicly known that if I had the power to do so, I would bestow upon The Man a medal for his tireless argument with the most wrong person in the history of the world.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Drink can be nutritious, too.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Can I bring BoB to work with me today? Please! I want him to pose this question to my boss!

Just because people put it in a cup, does not make it a drink. Servers at work do it all the time so they can snack on some. I mean, is a salad less of a salad if it is on a plate than in a bowl? Does it somehow change what it is? No.

The methodologies used to make soup tend to be more involving than that of drinks. Furthermore, drinks do not require seasoning or if they do not to the large extent that soups do. Mostly all soups are cooked at some point, even cold soups will either be cooked then cooled or have ingredients cooked then cooled. Most soups also involve a mirepoix as their basis, or sometimes just onions or onions and celery.

Moreover, if you compare say tomato soup (hot), a raw tomato soup (cold), and tomato juice, you will find a difference. Specifically, the first two are methodologically similar in making, though differ in ingredients (to a small extent) whereas the latter is merely the juice of tomatoes.

Blog Entries

Infact, some of those energy, liquefied, food drinks, have more nutrition in them than a whole regular meal. So, you gain nutrition from them, and they are considered to be both food and a drink.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

98 posts in this thread, really

how is this still continuing

Aaron for EoFF President 2013