View Poll Results: Is soup a food or a drink?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Food

48 92.31%
  • Drink

4 7.69%
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Soup

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Soup

A war is being waged at work. Well, not a war. But a fun argument which is generally only going on for the very sake of having a fun argument. Anyway, this serious question has been posed and now YOU TOO can get involved.

Is soup a food or a drink?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

When is soup a drink?! It's a food!
    You dip bread in it and it has chunks of vegetables and stuff in it! FOOD.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    When is soup a drink?! It's a food!
    You dip bread in it and it has chunks of vegetables and stuff in it! FOOD.
    Not all soup has chunks of vegetables in it. And you can dip cookies in drinks but that doesn't make the drink a food.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

But soup without the chunks is then blended up I assume? And you serve it in a bowl! And before you say cup soup they are not soup, it's a stock.

Also, when I'm thirsty I wouldn't say.. "Ooh, I'm thirsty.... I know what I fancy... SOME SOUP"

Because of how I eat it, it's a food. I dip a spoon in and immerse the spoon of soup in my watering mouth. I do that with chili, which is definitely a food and not a drink. Therefore, soup is a food
    Forward, the Light Brigade!'
    Was there a man dismay'd?
    Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
      Some one had blunder'd:
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
      Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
      Rode the six hundred.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It's food. But, I also don't tend to eat soup that doesn't have chunks of veg and stuff in it. Also I would say that I eat soup, as opposed to drinking it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I actually have some cup soups at the back of the cupboard which would go down a wee treat right now actually as I need a snack which isn't chocolatey.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    But soup without the chunks is then blended up I assume? And you serve it in a bowl! And before you say cup soup they are not soup, it's a stock.
    Tomato soup doesn't have to have chunks. There are a lot of soups without chunks out there! Also, you can get soup that is normally suited to a bowl and have it in a cup instead. At work, there are huge soup pots and you can choose a bowl or a cup. I choose a cup!

Also, when I'm thirsty I wouldn't say.. "Ooh, I'm thirsty.... I know what I fancy... SOME SOUP"
    To be fair, I wouldn't say "Ooh, I'm thirsty... I know what I fancy... SOME SOUTHERN COMFORT AND LEMONADE" because alcohol actually dehydrates you (as does coffee). So drinking alcohol or coffee to relieve your thirst is a futile thing to do, but despite this they are still drinks.

Some people at work brought up that it's made from food, and I counter this with 100% fruit juice which is 100% food, while soup is largely made up of water mixed with food items.

For me, when you have chunks of food in your soup, they are not part of the soup, they are chunks of food in the soup, much like marshmallows in my hot chocolate doesn't mean that my hot chocolate is a food.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is food. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Some people at work brought up that it's made from food, and I counter this with 100% fruit juice which is 100% food.
    Not really, if it's made from 100% fruit juice then it's just the juice of the fruit which would be a drink. They aren't made from 100% blended fruit.

I suppose you the closest you could get is fresh orange with juicy bits... there isn't really such thing as a (no tomato bollocks please) fruit soup though.

Maybe there should be. A... Foup?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Alcoholic drinks are still drinks. You have the interesting point of noting they only serve to dehydrate, but hydration isn't the only purpose of a drink. They can also be social in nature. Things like afternoon tea are more social. Going to get a beer with your coworkers is more of a social thing. Some drinks are just there for enjoyment.

The main division in my eyes is that almost no one drinks something and calls it a meal. (The only exception being smoothies, those I consider a meal, but some don't). No one drinks or eats soup as a refreshment. It's always considered a snack, or even for heavier soups and chowders, considered the main course of a meal.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    It is food. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Some people at work brought up that it's made from food, and I counter this with 100% fruit juice which is 100% food.
    Not really, if it's made from 100% fruit juice then it's just the juice of the fruit which would be a drink. They aren't made from 100% blended fruit.

I suppose you the closest you could get is fresh orange with juicy bits... there isn't really such thing as a (no tomato bollocks please) fruit soup though.

Maybe there should be. A... Foup?
    Many fruit can be turned into juice using 100% blended fruit (minus the core in some cases). And why should it matter regarding it being a fruit or a vegetable? They're both foods, right?

Tomato juice and tomato soup have extremely similar if not identical ingredients, both can be drunk from a cup (eaten from a cup!?), both can be heated. Tomato juice is definitely a drink... why not tomato soup? Also, tomato is a fruit. You don't have to like it, but it is the very definition of fruit. It just isn't as sweet as most fruit, but that doesn't make it any less a fruit (see also: pumpkins and other squashes).

Don't even get me started on smoothies.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    Alcoholic drinks are still drinks. You have the interesting point of noting they only serve to dehydrate, but hydration isn't the only purpose of a drink. They can also be social in nature. Things like afternoon tea are more social. Going to get a beer with your coworkers is more of a social thing. Some drinks are just there for enjoyment.
    I agree completely with all of this. Drinks are not simply a method of hydration or easing of thirst. They are there for all kinds of reasons - the only common thing, for me, is that you drink them. Like you do many soups.
    The main division in my eyes is that almost no one drinks something and calls it a meal. (The only exception being smoothies, those I consider a meal, but some don't). No one drinks or eats soup as a refreshment. It's always considered a snack, or even for heavier soups and chowders, considered the main course of a meal.
    Perhaps a meal doesn't have to be food, and can include drink so long as it is suitably nutritious. They are, after all, made from food. Interesting that you consider a smoothie a meal, though.

I consider something you drink to be a drink, and something you eat to be food. If I had to be technical, I would say that a soup is both food and drink, but if that were the case I would also find myself saying that 100% fruit juice is technically food and drink, too... but that's weird.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If it's called juice it's a drink.

If it's called soup it's a food.

/thread

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

If I'm on an aeroplane and I ask them to mix it with alcohol, will they look at me strangely?

If the answer is yes, it is probably not a beverage.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Soup is food since its served in a bowl. Now if its served in a cup. I'd consider it a drink. Same goes for smoothies. Hell I even call halo halo a drink, even though it has chunks of fruits in it, only because its srrved in a cup!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    If I'm on an aeroplane and I ask them to mix it with alcohol, will they look at me strangely?

If the answer is yes, it is probably not a beverage.
    Water should never, ever be mixed in with alcohol. And when I asked someone in a local club to get me a Southern Comfort and lemonade, they looked at me funny... and later when I sipped at the drink I immediately realised they had somehow translated 'lemonade' as 'water' ...or at least something that had no fizz whatsoever and was rather bland.

I could probably think of a few drinks that shouldn't be mixed with alcohol, now that I think about it...