Thread: area to farm basilisks?

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Default area to farm basilisks?

Playing FF6 Advanced, and I'm wondering where the best places are to farm basilisks in the World of Ruin. The only thing close to an answer I could find was "various islands" from the FF wikia, near Narshe from a couple guides, and 1 obscure site said Narshe and Zozo areas.

But of course the Narshe and Zozo areas dont spawn any basilisks for me, granted, I've only given each area a handful of battles.

The almost ironic part is that I remember fighting them fairly frequently when I first entered the World of Ruin and absolutely hated them. But I can't remember where... If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

and yes, this is for Tortoise Shields, and yes I know you can morph Cactuars to Tortoise Shields.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the Narshe Region is where I found them, stick to walking on the parts of the map that has grass though otherwise you get will only get a certain set of enemy types.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Yeah, the Narshe Region is where I found them, stick to walking on the parts of the map that has grass though otherwise you get will only get a certain set of enemy types.
    thanks for the info. And do you mean any grass areas? or the ones in the northern continent (which are pretty sparse, right? Dino forest is all I can think of...but I'm sure there are more)?
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The grass areas on the most northern continent where Narshe is. You'll still encounter some other types of enemies but I did encounter the Basilisk as well. Just stay on the actual green grass areas and not the forest or scorched earth sections to encounter them.

East of the Opera House is where I always go.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    thanks. but...

does anyone know the spawn rate of the basilisks? I've been grinding the 2 forests near Maranda for at least an hour now and they've spawned 0 times...

I'd try morphing cactuars but Ragnarok seems to only care about Impartisans and reed cloaks...and then misses.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some enemies can morph into multiple items but the rare items have a smaller chance.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
    thanks. but...

does anyone know the spawn rate of the basilisks? I've been grinding the 2 forests near Maranda for at least an hour now and they've spawned 0 times...

I'd try morphing cactuars but Ragnarok seems to only care about Impartisans and reed cloaks...and then misses.
    Get out of the forest. Walk on the yellow grass only.

Here, I'll show you.

Last edited by Spooniest; 03-13-2013 at 12:09 PM.

To be specific, the Geckorex/Basilisk only appears in the grassy areas of the Jidoor/Zozo continent and the Narshe continent in the WoR. Anywhere on those two continents will work, but it has to be on the grassy areas. Also, the Basilisk has a 6/16 (37.5%) chance of being encountered on the Jidoor/Zozo continent (it has two identical encounter formations possible, a 5/16 one and a 1/16 one), and a 5/16 (31.25%) chance of appearing on the Narshe continent (it only has one possible encounter formation there, the 5/16 one).

EDIT: I also updated the wiki, so now the precise location is listed there too.

EDIT EDIT: And I guess I can mention that when it comes to Morph, all items have an equal chance of being morphed. There are four slots for morph items, and each slot has a 25% chance of being picked. Sometimes the same item is in multiple morph slots, so that item will naturally be picked more often, but the base, and therefor minimum chance of any particular item being morphed (assuming the morph chance doesn't miss altogether) will always be 25%. In the case of Cactrot/Cactuar, the base hit rate of Morph is only 12.5%, and the Tortoise Shield occupies one slot (thus, 25% chance, same as any of the other potential morphables), so you've only got a 3.125% chance of any given Morph attempt getting you what you want.
    Last edited by espritduo; 03-09-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

FFXIV Character

Get out of the forest. Walk on the yellow grass only.
    haha, I read this, stepped on to the "yellow grass" (i always thought it was dirt) and first battle was against basilisks!

Quote Originally Posted by espritduo View Post
    To be specific, the Geckorex/Basilisk only appears in the grassy areas of the Jidoor/Zozo continent and the Narshe continent in the WoR. Anywhere on those two continents will work, but it has to be on the grassy areas. Also, the Basilisk has a 6/16 (37.5%) chance of being encountered on the Jidoor/Zozo continent (it has two identical encounter formations possible, a 5/16 one and a 1/16 one), and a 5/16 (31.25%) chance of appearing on the Narshe continent (it only has one possible encounter formation there, the 5/16 one).

EDIT: I also updated the wiki, so now the precise location is listed there too.

EDIT EDIT: And I guess I can mention that when it comes to Morph, all items have an equal chance of being morphed. There are four slots for morph items, and each slot has a 25% chance of being picked. Sometimes the same item is in multiple morph slots, so that item will naturally be picked more often, but the base, and therefor minimum chance of any particular item being morphed (assuming the morph chance doesn't miss altogether) will always be 25%. In the case of Cactrot/Cactuar, the base hit rate of Morph is only 12.5%, and the Tortoise Shield occupies one slot (thus, 25% chance, same as any of the other potential morphables), so you've only got a 3.125% chance of any given Morph attempt getting you what you want.
    Thanks a ton. that helps a lot.

edit:
    welp, got all my tortoise shields! Thanks again guys
    Last edited by cheesesteak; 03-13-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak