View Poll Results: What would you rather have as a pet?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cat

28 46.67%
  • Dog

32 53.33%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cat or Dog

Blog Entries

I refuse to answer this poll until the correct answer is added as an option.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

I've never understood why we have lolcats and not just loldogs instead - cats would never speak like that, but dogs definitely would.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Once one realizes there was no Miller Family Cat, the answer becomes immediately clear.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dogs are smurfing smart.
    Dogs will love you with all their hearts.
    Dogs will risk their lives to protect you.
    Dogs are so god damn happy all the time that you can't help but be happy around them.
    Dogs will go explore the world with you.
    Dogs are snuggly as hell.

I've always liked cats, but dogs are just a whole other league. They are the best.

Blog Entries

I like dogs but, I love cats

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want grumpy cat as a pet. I will tickle and cuddle him until he is forced to live a joyful life.

With that said, I have two dogs whom I love dearly. I also have other pets and I don't hold them at a higher standard to the others because of their species.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    him
    YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW GRUMPY CAT
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I've never seen it's genitals soooo...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just as a sidenote; watching this poll has been riveting.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Cats, dogs...

CatDog-Episode-16--All-About-Cat.gif

Why not both?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've said this before but look I've known some dumb cats - Rosie is not a powerhouse of mental agility for example - and you can teach dogs some impressive tricks (though that's more because a cat will say "smurf off" if you try to control it) but even the dumbest of cats does not need to be constantly watched in case it eats its own poop.

Dogs are wonderful and I adore them. I'd love to have a big dopey retriever or lab or something like that. But they are about as far from smart as something can be whilst still remembering to breathe.

As for the enslaving humans thing, it's more respect than anything else. Yes, cat people know exactly how beholden they are, and they know exactly how cunning cats can be. Look at any fictional portrayal of crazy future slavery and you will find something that enslaves through, for example, psychic powers or genetically engineering slaves to want their servitude. Well, we've already got that right here on Earth. All cat people know they are slaves, and they are perfectly happy with that state of affairs. Any species that manages this degree of magnificent bastardy is truly worthy of respect.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I don't think I could ever form the kind of emotional attachment to a cat that I can and have with dogs. Cats are fine. They can be clever and cute.

Dogs are companions. They got soul.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

None of my dogs have ever eaten their own poop. Poop eating can be a sign of poor nutrition, parasites in their digestive system, or from wanting attention from neglectful parents, even if that attention is scolding. BTW, cats eat their own poop some times too.

To avoid this, feed your pets a healthy diet, get regular checkups at the vet, and don't starve your pets for attention to the point where they will do something they KNOW is bad in order to get your attention.

My Charlie potty trained himself within the first few weeks we brought him home. He was just a puppy and he would hold his pee for as long as he could and then make a break for the backyard to relieve himself. And always in a far away corner behind a bush. And once when we had another puppy in the house and Lizzie was getting less attention than she was used to, she jumped right up on the bed, paused to LOOK US IN THE EYE, and then whizzed all over the bed. That's not something a dumb dog does. That's something a vindictive dog does.

So does can be needy, yes. But most are super intelligent. Even the dopey ones are super in tune with your emotions and can tell when you're sad and will be there to comfort you. And of course there's dogs who can tell when someone is about to have a heart attack or a seizure and warn you about it. Service dogs in general are smurfing smart as hell.

They don't use cats in the police force or in the military, do they? They use smart, brave ass dogs.

Refusing to do things for other people isn't indicative of being smart. It just means you're selfish as smurf. Dogs that are happy to do your bidding aren't doing so because they're too dumb to know better, they do it because they love you and/or because they will be rewarded for it.
    Last edited by Miriel; 03-14-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Anyone saying that dogs are not smart is wrong.

Dog's are incredible animals. A dog we bred was trained to become an epilepsy help dog as dogs can sense the changes in the body before a fit. Dogs are trained to assist the blind, deaf, and for people who are in wheelchairs or in some condition in which having a dog would benefit them. I've never once watched a cat assist a blind person across the road. Dogs have also been known to help their owner if they are in peril. Say, a child was out walking with her dog and parents, and she happened to fall into a river... a dog would jump in and help her and it has been known for them to do things like that.

Another dog I bred had been coming back from her walk, her owner took a nasty fall - Liza pulled her over away from the road and went and got help. Pretty smart dog.

My dogs are so so so smart. When my grandma passed away over Christmas, I came home and sat in my room not crying, but just sitting staring for a while. My dog who is usually so dumb and dopey and not at all that bothered about being hugged sat and watched me and then walked over to me, climbed up on the bed and sat beside me nuzzling his head into my shoulder and just let me hug him until I cried. If that's not a clever animal.... well, I don't know what is.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Dogs are smurfing smart.
    Dogs will love you with all their hearts.
    Dogs will risk their lives to protect you.
    Dogs are so god damn happy all the time that you can't help but be happy around them.
    Dogs will go explore the world with you.
    Dogs are snuggly as hell.

I've always liked cats, but dogs are just a whole other league. They are the best.
    1) Apparently not smart enough to figure out that the last thing I want is their face in my crotch every five seconds.
    2) I've never had a dog myself, but this seems a silly point to make since I've never had a cat that didn't love me.
    3) Impressive if I ever feel the need for some home security. Annoying when I just have some friends coming over to visit and they won't shut the hell up.
    4) I've been around happy dogs. They're annoying as hell and won't stop looking for affection that I don't want to give them.
    5) Why do I want an annoying dog exploring the world with me? A well trained cat could do the same and not be annoying.
    6) My cat loves to snuggle more than any animal I've ever seen. And the best part is, he doesn't smell like a dog while doing it.