View Poll Results: What would you rather have as a pet?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cat

28 46.67%
  • Dog

32 53.33%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cat or Dog

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There can only be one...
    Curl+boy+1+2010+0731+03.JPG
    Yeah, that just happened. Highlander Cat. I want one.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    But cat people will talk only a little about the pro-cat stuff and a bunch about why they hate dogs.
    Misrep. Only one cat person is saying anything anti-dog in isolation. That being said, whenever I compare cats and dogs, cats come out ahead.

I think dogs are alright, I just like cats better; the only reason I don't like having a dog at my house to visit is that it scares the stuffing out of the cat.

Cats are cleaner, better behaved -- and don't talk training here, cats are better behaved by default -- smarter, and yea, more loyal.

I don't have to rub my cat's nose in its own excrement, she knew to use the litter box instinctively. Scooping litter takes literally 2 minutes, I never step in a cat mess (because cats don't make messes), and I don't have to search the whole bloody yard.

I don't have to wrestle my cat into a bath to keep her from smelling, she takes care of that herself.

I don't have to worry about my cat poisoning herself as she won't eat literally anything that will fit down her gullet; My favourite breed of dog is a labrador retriever, and one lab literally ate the watch off of my father's wrist while he was passed out drunk; another eats *all* of the dog food put out for her within minutes. I can put out a dish of cat food and it will last for 3-4 days depending on how hungry the cat is. My cat smells everything before eating it, which is an instinct designed to avoid ingesting poison. Hence, I can go to work and leave my cat home alone all day without worry that she will starve or ingest poison.

Cats are smart. You can trick a cat once and then it remembers forever. My cat made the mistake of walking across the top of the fireplace when there was a fire on once, as a kitten, and now every time she does it she tests the surface with a paw first to make sure it is safe. Trick a dog, and you can fool it again with the same trick ten minutes later. I'm also in the process of training my cat to appreciate Bach, and it is working. I challenge you to do that with any other pet.

Cats are loyal. I come home at night and my cat is waiting for me and purring. Sure, dogs are affectionate too, but it's universal. My cat is affectionate towards me, and hates everyone else. I can pet someone else's dog for ten seconds and it will be just as affectionate towards me as anyone. My cat is discerning. It's capable of making an us/them distinction and trusting me while distrusting strangers.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

I was going to write about cats, but Bleys just did, so: Birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post

Birds?

Seriously, who wants the only pet that literally trouts on you. Constantly.

My cat is awesome and does not trout on me.
    None of my cockateils, cockatoos, rosellas, ringneck or rainbow parakeets ever had problems defecating everywhere. I certainly would not like to be caught in the spray of some of the hawks, falcons, eagles and owls I work with, but that is simply due to size, and it's not a scenario that is very likely. And if it did? So what? trout happens, and it's not a dealbreaker when it comes to my feathery cohorts. As with any animal that responds to reward-based stimuli, birds (I'm thinking toucans and parrots) can also be toilet-trained.

I find corvids and parrots to be very fascinating, curious and friendly creatures. Our pet Stellar's Jay was adorable; hiding his peanuts around the room, and when we left or looked away he would go and re-hide them in different places. They have an awesome ability to mimic different animals (ours did a perfect imitation of a Swainson's Hawk, and some sort of parrot) and other environmental noises (I think our wee sprocket could also mimic a car alarm).

I wish I could have a pet crow, I always enjoy watching them interact, they're very social and intelligent. Once Joe passed by a dead crow in the middle of the street; probably a hit-and-run victim. The other crows in its flock kept hopping over to look at it and be near it, but of course they had to move whenever another car came; it was very sad.

Once I was walking down the street and saw two crows huddled together on the footpath, and as I approached, one of them dropped something - a perfectly intact dead sparrow one of them had been carrying in its beak. We had a tiny corvid stand-off as I inched closer to my house to go get my camera, and the crows hopped back towards their sparrow, seemingly unafraid and not at all in a hurry. Eventually I caved and went to go get my camera, and one of them just hopped up, carefully picked up its prize, and looked at me as if to say "sucker!" before flying away. It was very beautiful.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Once I was walking down the street and saw two crows huddled together on the footpath, and as I approached, one of them dropped something - a perfectly intact dead sparrow one of them had been carrying in its beak. We had a tiny corvid stand-off as I inched closer to my house to go get my camera, and the crows hopped back towards their sparrow, seemingly unafraid and not at all in a hurry. Eventually I caved and went to go get my camera, and one of them just hopped up, carefully picked up its prize, and looked at me as if to say "sucker!" before flying away. It was very beautiful.
    That's awesome, I love birds and if my wife would let me own some I would. The only one I've had was a parakeet named Charlie who was sweet to me but bit the trout out of everyone else. We had an exclusive club membership of a boy and his bird vs. the world.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

The raptors I work with can get very moody and definitely have their favourite handlers! If you have the patience to build trust with an animal, the bond you share is well worth it

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Dogs. Cats are smelly sacks of trout that poop and piss in your house. This one time Sephex was so drunk he was going to show his cats and started to relieve himself in the litter box! You will never have that problem with a dog so there!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Dogs. Cats are smelly sacks of trout that poop and piss in your house. This one time Sephex was so drunk he was going to show his cats and started to relieve himself in the litter box! You will never have that problem with a dog so there!
    I would buy a liter box and piss in that too if it would teach a dog a life lesson.

Put that on a ****ing T-shirt, bro.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

*puts cats into the lead*

I hope to have both when I'm older.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    None of my cockateils, cockatoos, rosellas, ringneck or rainbow parakeets ever had problems defecating everywhere.
    One of my relatives had a budgeriar for a while; I visited them for a weekend and got shat on approximately 16,384 times.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Cats are loyal. I come home at night and my cat is waiting for me and purring. Sure, dogs are affectionate too, but it's universal. My cat is affectionate towards me, and hates everyone else. I can pet someone else's dog for ten seconds and it will be just as affectionate towards me as anyone. My cat is discerning. It's capable of making an us/them distinction and trusting me while distrusting strangers.
    I just want to emphasize this point. People - well, those that don't own cats - don't seem to realise that cats are extremely affectionate. I can only imagine they don't realise this because the cats are only this way towards their 'chosen' family. Dogs often show anyone love, and this means even non-dog-owners can understand the love. But I know that my cat will always put familiy first, and love me above all others. When I arrive home, she runs to the door, rubs up on my leg and rolls over so I can rub her belly (which she hates at any other time). If I move into another room, she'll follow me to see what I'm going to do. She'll often just flop down between my keyboard and monitor so she can get cuddles.

Cats do love people, it's just that until you prove to them that you deserve that love, you won't get it. People love to go on about the evil of cats, but the love cats give is what makes me love them back.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I personally adore cats. Problem is I'm deathly allergic to them. My sister had this one apparently hypo-allergenic cat that loved me to bits, and he was just awesome.
    Still prefer dogs though

Also, put them back into a tie.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But cat people will talk only a little about the pro-cat stuff and a bunch about why they hate dogs.
    Misrep. Only one cat person is saying anything anti-dog in isolation.
    See, you're doing the same thing. Over and over in your post you talk about something you like about cats, and then try and reinforce the fact that you like it by dissing dogs. The pattern goes, "SOMETHING NICE ABOUT CATS, UNLIKE DOGS, AMIRTE??"

Which is dumb.

My dogs are not affectionate toward other other people. They will be fine with strangers approaching me during the day, but if it's night time and someone comes too near me, they will get their hackles up or bark. They know that during the night, I need to be protected and they show a guardianship they don't display during the day. My dog's breed is legendary for their loyalty. You can find so many stories of dogs who will protect their owner's dead bodies, and even stories of dogs who will go visit your grave. My dog's breed is also known for being almost self-cleaning. Dirt just sloughs off them.

My pups smell great. I regularly just bury my nose in their fur and get a big whiff. Granted, they do get fancy mango bath shampoo. But still.

I don't need to diss cats to reinforce how awesome my dogs are. Dog people = happy/content people

you people argue over the most pointless things

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Misrep. Only one cat person is saying anything anti-dog in isolation.
    See, you're doing the same thing. Over and over in your post you talk about something you like about cats, and then try and reinforce the fact that you like it by dissing dogs. The pattern goes, "SOMETHING NICE ABOUT CATS, UNLIKE DOGS, AMIRTE??"

Which is dumb.

My dogs are not affectionate toward other other people. They will be fine with strangers approaching me during the day, but if it's night time and someone comes too near me, they will get their hackles up or bark. They know that during the night, I need to be protected and they show a guardianship they don't display during the day. My dog's breed is legendary for their loyalty. You can find so many stories of dogs who will protect their owner's dead bodies, and even stories of dogs who will go visit your grave. My dog's breed is also known for being almost self-cleaning. Dirt just sloughs off them.

My pups smell great. I regularly just bury my nose in their fur and get a big whiff. Granted, they do get fancy mango bath shampoo. But still.

I don't need to diss cats to reinforce how awesome my dogs are. Dog people = happy/content people
    When you compare things, you have to compare them. What did you expect in this thread?

Pretty sure I mentioned why I like cats without dissing dogs, though.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I love both cats and dogs (real dogs, not the little rodent "dogs" that are no bigger than cats), and would ideally have both one day. If I had to get a pet right now, though, it would be a cat. They are easier to take care of and I could leave it at home all day without concern.

However, nothing beats a really great dog. My last dog, a pit-bull/lab mix, may have been the best pet I could ever hope to have. The affection and companionship you can get from a dog is second to no other pet.

And I don't understand how anyone can seriously say that cats are smarter than dogs. Dogs (at least the bigger ones; small dogs aren't real dogs) are far more capable of learning and obedience on a whole different level than cats. I've had dogs distinguish between shoes/toys he could and couldn't play with, cats/animals he could and couldn't chase without invitation (he would chase our cats if they initiated the play), and places outside the yard he could and couldn't go on his own without approval -- all with little to no deliberate training on our part.