Thread: Is this a good idea for a party change in Dragon Warrior 3?

Default Is this a good idea for a party change in Dragon Warrior 3?

I started a new game today and I just picked that standard party (Soldier/Pilgrim/Wizard), and I have considered upgrading my party like this, not counting the Sage class:

Soldier > Fighter
    Pilgrim > Wizard
    Wizard > Pilgrim

In theory this seems to me like a pretty good idea, since it should let my endurable Soldier become a very fast Fighter and give both my wizards each others' spells, essentially turning them into something that should resemble Sages.
    But this might not be the way it actually works in the game, so, any advice?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm a little confused, is this DQIII or DQIX you are talking about? Cause I don't remember Pilgrim being a class in DQIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm a little confused, is this DQIII or DQIX you are talking about? Cause I don't remember Pilgrim being a class in DQIII.
    I mean this character.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to change this class into a Wizard, and the other changes I mentioned in my first post.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's the original version's name for Cleric.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Joy for differing translations.

Anyway, it is a good idea to do that way because they will get the stat increases. If you really want to build an ultimate mage character I would go Wizard -> Cleric -> Jester -> Sage/ This way, you're jester won't suck as much and you're Sage will have access to even better stats and more abilities when you finally get one. The Sage learns all spells excapt for some of the Hero specific stuff, but has a much more balanced stats and a great equipment pool in comparison to the main mage classes. The DQIII Sage is pretty much the equivalent of the FF Red Mage but stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    If you really want to build an ultimate mage character I would go Wizard -> Cleric -> Jester -> Sage
    Wait, does this mean that you can Class Change the same character several times?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, but they have to be a minimum of level 20 and once you class change the character returns to level 1 with docked stats but they will be higher than just hiring a level 1 character from the tavern so you can potential build really high powered characters by class changing them. Though I would like to point out it is best to keep the characters in either a melee or magic field because going from warrior to wizard or vice-versa is not as productive as you would think; because class stat pools and equipment restrictions will make sure they are never that great, so keep it Fighter/Warrior and Wizard/Cleric. Obviously the longer you keep a character in their class will raise the benefits of class changing so sometimes its better to wait until they are level 30 or 40 before making the plunge to class change, so their starting stats are even better. If you've played Disgaea and know about the reincarnation system, it works a lot like that.

Jester's are the only class that can class change into the Sage class without the aid of a special rare item which is why I mentioned them, they also get access to the Whistle ability which is great for Metal slime farming.

Ah, thank you.
    By the way, I was thinking about something - if I want to build an ultimate tank, would it be a good idea to change between Soldier and Fighter over and over?
    It seems to me like this should give me a ton of power, defense and speed, and that's awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Depends on what you mean by "tank" if you are going for high HP and Defense, then you'll want to stick to warrior but switching to Fighter is you best choice though you may want to level him up as a warrior longer than as a fighter.

I think I will leave Soldier unchanged for now, and go for these upgrades to begin with:

Pilgrim > Soldier
    Wizard > Sage

Seems solid enough.